Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA's Boarding Process with WILMA now - Inconsistent process / PreBoarding issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA's Boarding Process with WILMA now - Inconsistent process / PreBoarding issues

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2022, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
They should face the monitor/keyboard towards the boarding area, which would place GA between scrum and scanner - that way one runs into the GA before the scanner. He/she can then filter before scanning occurs.
Which, as you said in another post, is the sort of thing that LHR does. With any company you would want to learn from other successes, rather than take the "not invented here and wouldn't work anyway" attitude.
Old May 16, 2022, 5:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Which is yet another example of the root cause of United's service failures - refusing to hold employees accountable to standards and procedures. A gate agent who refuses to control their boarding area and ensure policies are enforced to the "T" should be sent for mandatory retraining, and if they fail a second time, they should be re-assigned to ramp work away from customers, or just terminated.

If an agent is unable to control the gate space even while trying to do so due to customer non-compliance, they should immediately summon a redcoat for assistance.
It isn't just the failure of GA's to enforce procedure - it's also a failed procedure. UA has too many preboarding groups - period. UA should go back to the pre-merger process. It worked very well, because everyone wasn't an elite - nor should they be.

Originally Posted by porciuscato
Exactly my experience. For most other flights, I skip the whole thing and board last. But for this one, you only have 4 and a half hours to sleep, so you want to get on early.
I board last only if I'm up front on a widebody, because that way I don't have to worry about overhead bin space.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old May 16, 2022, 7:39 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bocastephen
just have one of the two narrow body flight GAs make an announcement just before boarding to the effect of only Global Service and 1K members should be standing <describe location>
Yeah I had that experience on MCO-LAX recently. They told us to stand in a designated area and it appeared to work, there were maybe 5 1Ks. I like to have a printed BP that has "1K" written in big letters on it in case someone confuses me for not being one
Old May 16, 2022, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Again, this is down to the complete screw up of United's boarding policies in the first place. Most people hear "now pre-boarding for 1Ks" and they think it's Group 1. If United made GS/1K group 1 then current group 1 becomes group 2, etc. There are a million ways to fix this but maybe United just plans to get rid of 1K anyway since there's no such thing as a "hundred thousand miler" any longer for elite status.

Separately, yesterday I flew out of a FL station and the gate agent was VERY clear about pre-boarding and four people right in front of me were denied because they were not 1K. One guy scanned and then the GA asked if he was 1K and the guy said no. GA proceeded to de-board him and told him to go to the back of the group 1 line. Next was another single person who also said he wasn't 1K and got booted before scanning his BP. Finally, a couple right in front of me were trying to board and the agent asked if they were 1K. They had no idea what 1K meant and they were quickly shunned as well. As I got up to the scanner I thanked the agent for being proactive and she rolled her eyes and gave me a smile. As I walked through the door I heard her saying sternly over the loudspeaker, "Folks, if you don't know what 1K is then you aren't 1K. 1K is NOT group 1." Succinct and easy to understand. But admittedly this type of GA is few and far between and it's usually quicker to just let the errant person board who isn't 1K than to take the time to de-board them in the system.

-RM
SPN Lifer, bocastephen and gayste like this.

Last edited by RobOnLI; Jul 12, 2022 at 9:04 am Reason: Spelling mistake
Old May 16, 2022, 10:51 am

Programs: AA PLT, Admirals Club, United Club, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum, Langham Gateway, Avis PC
Newbie - United Boarding/Overall Travel Tips

Hello All - Im new here so please forgive me if this is in the incorrect location!

Im a longtime elite on AA (EXP and now PLT thanks to pandemic travel restrictions) but am considering making the switch to UA as being a Chicago native their routes are growing quickly and their pricing has been more competitive compared to AA at least for time time being. My question is as a non elite with just the Chase United Club Infinite card ... how is the experience with check in, boarding, etc.

While domestically I do try to purchase first as sadly IMO gone are the days of any meaningful upgrades on AA, I am looking to plan a trip to LHR and would most likely book into Premium Plus on UA. Is the Group 2 boarding for Club cardholders anything decent/do they separate Club Infinite card holders from Explorer card holders or is Group 2 essentially just main cabin boarding at that point.

Dont mean to sound pretentious just trying to understand the UA system after years of only AA.

Any advise is much appreciated!
Old May 16, 2022, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldflyer2011
...Is the Group 2 boarding for Club cardholders anything decent/do they separate Club Infinite card holders from Explorer card holders or is Group 2 essentially just main cabin boarding at that point....
Card holder is a card holder. No differentiation. BG2 is just before general main cabin boarding and is Silvers, card holders, and Premier Access purchasers. The group could be large, but overhead storage shouldn't be an issue.

Edit: Gold are in BG1
worldflyer2011 and threecap like this.
Old May 16, 2022, 11:04 am

Programs: AA PLT, Admirals Club, United Club, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum, Langham Gateway, Avis PC
Thanks for the reply!
Old Jun 16, 2022, 3:46 pm

I'm flying SFO > EWR > LHR next month. SFO>EWR is in Economy, EWR>LHR is in Polaris. What boarding group will I be in at SFO?
Old Jun 16, 2022, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Cowtikk
I'm flying SFO > EWR > LHR next month. SFO>EWR is in Economy, EWR>LHR is in Polaris. What boarding group will I be in at SFO?
What is your current MileagePlus status? Will your status change between now and the flights next month?

David
Old Jun 16, 2022, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
What is your current MileagePlus status? Will your status change between now and the flights next month?

David
No status on United. It could change if I did a status match but I have no other plans to fly United so don’t think it’s worth it
Old Jun 16, 2022, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think Polaris EWR-LHR will give you BG1 the whole way.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
When GAs don't enforce boarding policy, you'd get something like 30+ pax before traveling with kids under 2. If you believe all those are eligible preboarders, then I have a bridge to sell you. This is ex-MSY.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 2:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
At PHX on Thursday morning, GA ran through the pre-boarding groups super fast. This worked great. The only pre-boarders were me and one other 1K who was ready and waiting to go immediately when called.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
When GAs don't enforce boarding policy, you'd get something like 30+ pax before traveling with kids under 2. If you believe all those are eligible preboarders, then I have a bridge to sell you. This is ex-MSY.
I haven’t noticed that when departing from my hometown airport of MSY. YMMV.

BTW, that bridge that you have to sell, would that be the CCC or the Huey P?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 3:17 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
No status on United. It could change if I did a status match but I have no other plans to fly United so don’t think it’s worth it
If you don't have a UA credit card, it's boarding group 3 or 4.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I think Polaris EWR-LHR will give you BG1 the whole way.
Nope - the boarding group is based on the cabin of the specific flight. Even the color of the mobile boarding pass is different.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.