Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA's Boarding Process with WILMA now - Inconsistent process / PreBoarding issues

UA's Boarding Process with WILMA now - Inconsistent process / PreBoarding issues

Old Apr 10, 2024, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Alaska often uses two doors to board at KOA - if you're seated in row X or higher, you use the rear door, X or lower, the front door. Boarding is significantly faster, even with the 20% who don't have a clue what their row is, or what a door is, or the difference between front and back.

Winter time on the mainland? No one here ever flew PeopleExpress? I have plenty of memories dragging my carryon up and down snow covered stairs outside at EWR and BUF in the middle of winter, hoping I didn't slide down a slippery airstair, or especially at EWR, lose my hearing, or get sprayed with partially combusted kerosene as the adjacent aircraft was starting up. Fun times.
Kevin AA, LaserSailor and VRFast like this.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
It's standard in Australia too (also at BUR), but I don't think it's a crazy decision for most US airports/carriers to choose not to have pax go outside into whatever weather might be there.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 12:21 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by LarryJ
It goes a lor father than that. The ACAA does not allow the airline to require documentation of the need to pre-board. If the passenger says they need to preboard then the airline must allow them. No boots or wheelchairs required.
Hopefully this is not a TikTok hack or a trend, but I have been spotting youngish women (in their 20's) boarding during disability pre-boarding without any outward mobility issues. No pushback from the gate agent.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 12:49 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Hopefully this is not a TikTok hack or a trend
I'm almost certain it is - the same as using Grandma's disabled placard to park closer to the mall. In a perfect world, all social media influencers would be given their own boarding group - group 7 to board "never".
ContinentalFan, hhdl and VRFast like this.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Hopefully this is not a TikTok hack or a trend, but I have been spotting youngish women (in their 20's) boarding during disability pre-boarding without any outward mobility issues. No pushback from the gate agent.
That’s good. There shouldn’t be any pushback from the agent.
physioprof likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I'm almost certain it is - the same as using Grandma's disabled placard to park closer to the mall. In a perfect world, all social media influencers would be given their own boarding group - group 7 to board "never".
Or, they could board Spirit. Making Spirit profitable would be the ultimate test of their influence.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 3:12 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Witnessed a flight this past weekend (at BOS, I think) where the GA called up active duty military first, then pax with disabilities, then GS, then "pax with infants," then in the same breath without pause, "1Ks."

Humorously, despite plenty of room for preboarding, several pax in the Group 1 line had to excuse themselves up to the front when 1Ks were called. You'd think 1Ks would understand they're going to be called to preboard and would situate themselves accordingly.
atword likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2024, 7:08 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by exerda
Witnessed a flight this past weekend (at BOS, I think) where the GA called up active duty military first, then pax with disabilities, then GS, then "pax with infants," then in the same breath without pause, "1Ks."

Humorously, despite plenty of room for preboarding, several pax in the Group 1 line had to excuse themselves up to the front when 1Ks were called. You'd think 1Ks would understand they're going to be called to preboard and would situate themselves accordingly.
Maybe they are new 1Ks.
atword likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2024, 7:17 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Maybe they are new 1Ks.
More like the 99% who treat airtravel as a path to travel from A to B, and minutia like boarding process is just uninteresting to them. I'm in that boat, sipping wine and smelling roses.
Old Apr 11, 2024, 11:03 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by exerda

I must have had the same GA yesterday in BOS .One family with small kids decided they were ready to go and went before GS was called which triggered the other two or three to families to bum rush the gate. They were followed on by two 20-something glamorous young women who ended up in the F cabin and I assume just decided they were getting on early? As she was scanning them she called GS and 1K two seconds apart.

It's just not that hard.

Point of reference: 4 GS and about 15 1K BOS-DEN midweek, midday.

Last edited by limey1K; Apr 11, 2024 at 1:55 pm
Old Apr 11, 2024, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by limey1K
I must have had the same GA yesterday in BOS .One family with small kids decided they were ready to go and went before GS was called which triggered the other two or three to families to bum rush the gate. They were followed on by two 20-something glamorous young women who ended up in the F cabin and I assume just decided they were getting on early? As she was scanning them she called GS and 1K two seconds apart.

It's just not that hard.

Point of reference: 4 GS and about 15 !K BOS-DEN midweek, midday.
unfortunately this is the norm, not the exception. It’s not hard - for those who have a shred of pride in their jobs and how they deliver service.
halls120 and limey1K like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.