Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA's Boarding Process (with Wiki) -- Inconsistent process / PreBoarding issues

UA's Boarding Process (with Wiki) -- Inconsistent process / PreBoarding issues

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 21, 22, 2:20 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
COVID boarding modification ended 15 April 2021, returned to preCOVID process

29 April 2020
https://hub.united.com/united-corona...ial-distancing
Boarding fewer customers at a time to allow for more distance during the boarding process. Following pre-boarding, we will board back-to-front by rows, but will space out customers to minimize crowding in the gate area and on the jet bridge.
Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
Domestic F and/or J cabin pax not qualifying for preboard will go right after but before regular boarding from back to front. ...
COVID19 precautions: UA to block some seats for pre-assignment, providing masks,...

Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded: to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane.

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28 View Post
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure

Previous Thread:United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]

Print Wikipost

Old Nov 5, 18, 9:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by myperks View Post
SFO TPE, announced that the 50+ 1Ks ,please board to the right of group 1 line.
So much for feeling special
goodeats21 and Marschel like this.
Old Nov 6, 18, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by PanAmWT View Post
Is this like at NRT, that pre-boarding is separated into two parts, Disabled+Military+GS+Family as phase 1, and then 1K with dedicated waiting area as phase 2? If so that would be very good news.
nope. This was a made up line. there was group 1 line going all the way back to the escalators to the left side door and the other line to the right side door. The made up 1K line (after the other preboards went down the middle towards the gate counter and veered left and funneled to the entrance before group 1. Looking at the Tokyo pic above, I think it there should be 3 lines but what do I know.
Old Nov 6, 18, 5:18 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
Yup, reported two weeks ago, post 1129. Now we know how to spell "Premier" in another language!

Sure, but can you say it?
Old Nov 6, 18, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by physioprof View Post
Sure, but can you say it?
Yes - Dontyouknowwhoiam-san, Ichi-ban, for short
geckoflyer likes this.
Old Nov 16, 18, 5:23 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, UA GS/2MM, But I'm a "Diamond Guest"
Another fail data-point. SFO->KOA yesterday had about 50 people clustering the gate. They called Disabilities waited a moment and then MilitaryFamiliesGS/K and then the mob surged forward.

But once again, MFR took the cake though: when GS was called, two guys deftly charged in front of me. Seeing, the distinct blue boarding cards on their phones (GS is gold and black), I asked "are you Global Services?" One guy says "I'm not but he is..." After the GA let them through, she emphatically told me the guys were not GS.

On the way to the plane I asked them again "are you sure you're GS." One of them told me it was none of my damn business. I later established on the plane, the one guy actually had GLOBAL ENTRY. He was eventually a little apologetic when I explained to him half the people on the plane probably had Global Entry; and that Global Entry conveys absolutely no boarding privileges whatsoever. Amazing.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 16, 18, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, Hertz PC
ORD-PHL today ... all preboards rattled off in one long string without a breath. I was 7th on upgrade list and there were disabled, so was a decent sized group.
Old Nov 16, 18, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by porciuscato View Post
Another fail data-point. SFO->KOA yesterday had about 50 people clustering the gate. They called Disabilities waited a moment and then MilitaryFamiliesGS/K and then the mob surged forward.
It’s become chaotic scrum for pre-board. SFO>SAN return on a 319, large number of military and their families (as expected for SAN), 8 GS, >25 1K. On a 319!
Old Nov 16, 18, 6:31 pm

HKG-ORD UA896 on 11/15, 1Ks directed to a line to the left of Group 1. Group 0?
Old Nov 18, 18, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Friday 9:45pm HNL-LAX and Saturday 6:20am LAX-LAS. In both, GAs announced how the boarding process would work - then two spectacularly different processes.
HNL called each pre-boarding group, with pauses, and finished with “our one-million miler 1Ks”. I don’t know what it is about HNL, but 2nd time I heard it that way (perhaps same GA). No GS or families w/ sub-2 spawn. 2 military. About 3 1Ks pre-boarded
LAS agent motioned to the assortment of wheel chairs and other time-takers to the podium and then “all other pre-boarders”. Probably 5 time-takers and same number of agile pre-boarders of mixed (and indiscernible) pedigree.
Old Nov 18, 18, 11:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold
This boarding process change has been a big benefit to golds. I hate standing in line so I always like to board last in my group. So I used to board after all the credit card Group 2's which was a huge line interfering with people trying to walk by the gate. Since this change I've never had an issue finding overhead space when boarding at the end of Group 1. For the group 3s and above, people don't stand in line for half an hour and seem to be less irritable. At DEN, IAH, and BWI, they seem to leave room for people who miss their group to walk up to the counter where the pre-boarding, 1k, GS, military go. Overall, I think this change seems to be working well from my experience.
Old Nov 18, 18, 11:45 pm

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
There is zero consistency in this new boarding procedure. In one case I was called up to the podium and invited to board before the pre-boarding began (I'm GS) and in another case they unleashed all the pre-boarders at once, which was something of a mad house. I've also had more the structured pre-boarding, families-military-GS-1K's. It seems to vary by location and GA. It seems no one has found the right formula as of yet. More training is needed.
Old Nov 19, 18, 7:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
GAs at various airports have gotten the memo for 1K preboarding ... EWR, DFW, SMF, IAH, PVR (Mexico) all announced 1K preboarding in the past 2 weeks. Having to quickly slide through the crowd to get to the front of the line before the GA announces Group 1 is another matter. Some gates have plenty of room, others not. Going in order disabled, GS, 1K, then military would afford a few extra seconds to reach the podium.
Old Nov 19, 18, 8:07 am

Programs: UA 4.2MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
At many airports, the overhead electronic displays now show the pre-board order in large graphics/font:

DISABLED > MILITARY > GS > FAMILIES > 1K
Old Nov 19, 18, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wxguy View Post
At many airports, the overhead electronic displays now show the pre-board order in large graphics/font:

Should display "DISABLED (pause) > MILITARY (pause) > GS (pause) > FAMILIES (pause) > 1K"
iluv2fly and wxguy like this.
Old Nov 19, 18, 8:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC 35K, SPG GOLD
Originally Posted by wxguy View Post

I saw it in IAH last Friday. And the GA when through each group with a long pause after each group.
wxguy likes this.

Search this Thread