Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver - Typhoon Mangkhut, HKG - Sep 15 to 17th

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2018, 4:35 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat

I'm headed there on the 18th!
Old Sep 14, 2018, 2:56 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
Just changed my flight to leave tomorrow before the storm hits.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 3:51 am

I was supposed to land Sunday. I am now flying the other way with a few meetings in Europe and land there after the storm
Old Sep 14, 2018, 5:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I was due to depart HKG on Sunday, but UA has now cancelled all 4 flights arriving Saturday and leaving Sunday (EWR, ORD, SFO, and GUM). I have to say though, a supervisor at the 1K desk went above and beyond to get us reaccommodated with minimal disruption to our schedule, there are definitely still some gems working there. It's not the first time they've pulled strings for me on weather related delays/cancellations and moved a mountain, per se.

I've been watching the HKG airport site for cancellations, so far UA, TG, and QF have cancelled Saturday arrivals, and KL, LY have cancelled Sunday arrivals. Naturally both airlines from the Philippines have cancelled as well and looks like some regional carriers are starting. I don't expect much to be happening at HKG from late Saturday into Sunday night. Hopefully it doesn't flood as bad as KIX did last week during our last typhoon.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dvs7310
... UA has now cancelled all 4 flights arriving Saturday and leaving Sunday (EWR, ORD, SFO, and GUM).

I've been watching the HKG airport site for cancellations, so far UA, TG, and QF have cancelled Saturday arrivals, and KL, LY have cancelled Sunday arrivals. Naturally both airlines from the Philippines have cancelled as well and looks like some regional carriers are starting. I don't expect much to be happening at HKG from late Saturday into Sunday night. Hopefully it doesn't flood as bad as KIX did last week during our last typhoon.
Thank you for adding this! I'm on the Tuesday flight out of EWR and was wondering what flights would be impacted!
Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by TechMarauder
Just changed my flight to leave tomorrow before the storm hits.
I thought all the UA flights to HKG were canceled for Friday and Saturday departures.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
All 3 CONUS-HKG departures on Saturday have been canceled. Obviously can't land Sunday evening.

I wonder why Saturday GUM-HKG-GUM turn is canceled. Winds should still be OK 10-11 pm. Maybe it's a routing problem flying between northern Luzon and HKG.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm scheduled to be on the Tuesday departure to EWR, so that's the Monday arrival. Storm will probably be gone by then, but I'm hesitant given it is a discretionary trip.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
I'm scheduled to be on the Tuesday departure to EWR, so that's the Monday arrival. Storm will probably be gone by then, but I'm hesitant given it is a discretionary trip.
The Tuesday departure EWR uses the plane flying EWR-HKG on Sunday, which is still on time. But I'm sure UA is still assessing whether or not a Monday evening arrival into HKG will be feasible.
If not, then your HKG-EWR on Tuesday will be canceled.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer
The Tuesday departure EWR uses the plane flying EWR-HKG on Sunday, which is still on time. But I'm sure UA is still assessing whether or not a Monday evening arrival into HKG will be feasible.
If not, then your HKG-EWR on Tuesday will be canceled.
what about the Tuesaday EWR-HKG (UA179)? Will that be impacted by a plane coming from HKG?
Old Sep 14, 2018, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA GS 4+ MM
Originally Posted by jonisflying

what about the Tuesaday EWR-HKG (UA179)? Will that be impacted by a plane coming from HKG?
shouldnt be. After today’s departures (Saturday- I’m at hkia now) UA won’t have any widebody equipment in Hong Kong until things leave from the US. I got on #180 when I saw the typhoon moving in a few days ago.

For an an interesting message, check out the comments on the delayed HKG to SFO flight above. Wonder where they are looking. If the delay gets longer, they may have to scrub the flight due to weather.
jonisflying likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I took the last Air China out of HKG to PEK (local time Friday night), the airport was packed; more than a typical Friday evening at HKG. People were trying to get out before the typhoon hits. My flight was supposed to be a light-load flight but ended up fully packed with last minute expatriate traffic to PEK to escape the storm. Not sure I would pick PEK as a desirable place but flights to more attractive locations in Southeast Asia and Japan were all fully booked.

I was supposed to take the Saturday morning UA flight to SFO out of HKG, but an extra meeting took me to PEK and now I am happy to be on the PEK- SFO scheduled later on Saturday.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Sep 14, 2018 at 9:40 pm
Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by dkc715
For an an interesting message, check out the comments on the delayed HKG to SFO flight above. Wonder where they are looking. If the delay gets longer, they may have to scrub the flight due to weather.
No they won't. They aren't going to leave a plane at HKG with this coming. FAs on HKG-SFO are HKG based. I guess there is a rest time problem for pilots.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA1K, *G, MR Plat, Hertz PC
FYI on Tuesday's HKG-ORD. All United flights out of HKG cancelled Sunday and Monday. To anyone in the area, be safe.

Last edited by ftusername; Sep 14, 2018 at 10:47 pm Reason: adding "UNITED"
Old Sep 15, 2018, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dkc715
Shouldnt be. After today’s departures (Saturday- I’m at hkia now) UA won’t have any widebody equipment in Hong Kong until things leave from the US. I got on #180 when I saw the typhoon moving in a few days ago.
Cool, thank you @dkc715 ! Looks like you are on your way to EWR! Hope you have smooth travels!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.