Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Could Move ‘the Bulk’ of its Operations from Newark if Jet Fuel Tax Increases

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Could Move ‘the Bulk’ of its Operations from Newark if Jet Fuel Tax Increases

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2018, 2:39 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by jk88usa
EWR already has I believe the highest cost per enplanement in the US... so of course it only makes sense to make operating out of there even more expensive

Unfortunately that is the logic of governments in the tri-state area....
Old Sep 17, 2018, 2:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
Only in New Jersey does adding an extra tax that only applies to your biggest customer make sense.
They should just go ahead and call it "protection."
EWR764 and goodeats21 like this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
They should just go ahead and call it "protection."
It is New Jersey, after all.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 2:49 am

duplicate
Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by emcampbe
If this passes, it seems to me, anyway, that this could be considered discriminatory based on only applying to airline(s) that carry 8 million or more passengers? Couldn’t UA sue to have this law struck down based on that? And likely win.

No. The state (or other legislative and taxing entity) can't say 'This tax only applies to United Airlines,' but a passenger count, or revenue, or whatever metric that just happens to apply only to United at this time is fine. It's a technique that has been used at the federal and state levels in many cases for decades.

United looks foolish even to make this bluff.
BearX220 and vincentharris like this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:00 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
No. The state (or other legislative and taxing entity) can't say 'This tax only applies to United Airlines,' but a passenger count, or revenue, or whatever metric that just happens to apply only to United at this time is fine. It's a technique that has been used at the federal and state levels in many cases for decades.

United looks foolish even to make this bluff.
They could just pick up and move to PHL and buy up AA's gates there. Then they can laugh across the river back at the people in Trenton who imposed the tax (PHL is possibly the only airport WORSE than EWR)

EWR should run a new marketing campaign...

"EWR, hey at least we are not PHL"

This is a terrible bluff. Its like trying to bluff with a pair of 2's and the dealer has 4 aces
Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Little bit confused.

The article indicates that airlines currently pay tax on fuel purchases only used for takeoffs and landings in NJ airports (which must be an interesting calculation), but it sounds like now the tax will apply to all the fuel purchased.
So is this really a tax rate hike, or just applying the same existing tax to the entire fuel purchase?

Seems almost like they got some type of exemption for the fuel purchased that is not "burned' in NJ, but that is now going away?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Little bit confused.

The article indicates that airlines currently pay tax on fuel purchases only used for takeoffs and landings in NJ airports (which must be an interesting calculation), but it sounds like now the tax will apply to all the fuel purchased.
So is this really a tax rate hike, or just applying the same existing tax to the entire fuel purchase?

Seems almost like they got some type of exemption for the fuel purchased that is not "burned' in NJ, but that is now going away?
It's not an exemption. It's the way that NJ taxes fuel for the airlines. United can go ahead and move to other states, but they're gonna get taxed at full rates as NJ is trying to do now. Yes, it is weird that this is only applying to UA (guess the state doesn't feel that everyone else is a big enough fish to go after) but by moving to another state they're not going to get away from being taxed on the full amount of fuel they use.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Little bit confused.

I read it as applying the same existing tax to the entire fuel purchase with no change in rate. So yes, to me it also sounds like there is effectively an exemption that may be revoked.

Originally Posted by Bluehen1
It's not an exemption. It's the way that NJ taxes fuel for the airlines. United can go ahead and move to other states, but they're gonna get taxed at full rates as NJ is trying to do now. Yes, it is weird that this is only applying to UA (guess the state doesn't feel that everyone else is a big enough fish to go after) but by moving to another state they're not going to get away from being taxed on the full amount of fuel they use.
Do other states tax the entire fuel purchase?

I poked around and came across another article that seems to imply not, although it does so in language that makes me wonder how NJ could impose a tax.
If enacted, the bill would expand the state’s taxes on aviation fuel, requiring United and its regional contractors to pay 4 cents per gallon on all fuel purchased in New Jersey. Federal rules allow the state to collect taxes on fuel used during taxiing and takeoff, but not during flight. The tax revenue must be used for airport-related improvements.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
Originally Posted by fumje
I read it as applying the same existing tax to the entire fuel purchase with no change in rate. So yes, to me it also sounds like there is effectively an exemption that may be revoked.

Do other states tax the entire fuel purchase?

I poked around and came across another article that seems to imply not, although it does so in language that makes me wonder how NJ could impose a tax.
Found this from 2014...

Combined Effective Commercial Jet Fuel Tax Rates and Fees by State
Old Sep 17, 2018, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bluehen1
Says,
Finally, three states (New Jersey, New York, and Washington) only tax fuel estimated to be burned within their state borders, significantly reducing the burden of fuel taxes.
—which (assuming still current) helps put into context the consideration, implying that perhaps NJ does not any longer feel the need to compete with NY for United's capacity.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
As with most government money grabs, there is a risk that NJ could wind up losing tax revenue by raising taxes on UA, even if UA stays as it is.

Since planes don't refuel before each flight, UA could implement a "Don't refuel at EWR" policy... manage fuel purchases on short-haul flights and refuel/top up only at cheaper tax out of state airports (assuming other taxes are lower than NJ) instead of at EWR. Obviously, that wouldn't work on long hauls but a 20% decrease in EWR fuel purchases would offset revenue gained from the tax increase. Presumably, fuel suppliers would lay off NJ staff if demand is cut further cutting state tax revenues.

Here's an idea NJ and every other state and local government, cut your crazy state employee pensions.
txaggiemiles likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 7:45 am

Perhaps UA is threatening to move administrative offices and staff out of Newark, not flights? I'm not sure how many jobs UA has in Newark that *have* to be in Newark.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Aside from the merits of the proposed tax itself...where is UA going to move? UA definitely holds the weaker hand here, IMO...they need EWR. They have zero leverage in this situation.
Agree. They don't have a good position or hand to deal. That said, when the city of Houston opened up Hobby to int'l flights they did punish Houston by cutting some international flights. I could see UA cutting back service from EWR and moving to IAD but they won't give up EWR entirely. Maybe they would look to shifting more ops to JFK?

That said the bill is BS. If they want to levy more tax on fuel then do it evenly across the board.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milepig
I hate the bad layout. I hate how there’s no there there.
I think I had to walk farther to go from customs back to gate 83 yesterday than to walk from LAX T7 to Lot C when the buses are slow. There are a number of especially nice bottlenecks.

I managed to avoid EWR for years and have had to connect there a few times recently. EWR is my least favorite airport, and I start half my flying by getting to LAX...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.