Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Could Move ‘the Bulk’ of its Operations from Newark if Jet Fuel Tax Increases

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Could Move ‘the Bulk’ of its Operations from Newark if Jet Fuel Tax Increases

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jsloan
This is a dramatically unfair tax and I'm certain DL, AA, and B6 would love it if it were to be enacted into law. If it is, management will figure out some way to split United into four airlines (like Swiss does with Swiss International vs. Swiss Global).

Only in New Jersey does adding an extra tax that only applies to your biggest customer make sense.
Is it adding a tax or removing a tax exemption?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by vincentharris
They could just pick up and move to PHL and buy up AA's gates there. Then they can laugh across the river back at the people in Trenton who imposed the tax (PHL is possibly the only airport WORSE than EWR)

EWR should run a new marketing campaign...

"EWR, hey at least we are not PHL"

This is a terrible bluff. Its like trying to bluff with a pair of 2's and the dealer has 4 aces
Or UA could buy AA's JFK slots and gates, and move some EWR flights to JFK.

Off topic - having flown through both PHL and EWR, I will take PHL over EWR any day.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:09 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
I will NEVER understand why local and state governments go after the biggest businesses within their borders all the time. These are the companies that are driving lots of jobs to your state/local area and you punish them for this
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
I can’t imagine UA ever leaving EWR. Sure, if your final destination is Manhattan, LGA or JFK are fairly equivalent travel time, but EWR is a fortress hub for the North Jersey market. Over 6 million residents, a lot of wealth, and a lot of business travelers who don’t even consider JFK, LGA and PHL to be viable alternatives.

If the fuel tax becomes law, UA will just suck it up and pass it along in fare increases for EWR O&D pax. They already have a pricing premium vs. DL and AA out of NYC on many domestic routes, probably in part because the North Jersey market is so captive to EWR.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by jspira
New Jersey is seemingly targetting United with a four cent per gallon tax on all jet fuel purchased in the state - but one that is only applicable to a carrier with passenger traffic of 8 million people or more p.a.

As a result, the UA exec for the region said the airline might consider moving "the bulk" of its operations to other hubs.

Didn't something similar just happen in Georgia with Delta?
GA threatened to revoke the sales tax exemption that applied to DL when DL said it would not longer offer an group discount to the NRA after one of the many AK-47 mass shootings at schools. It was a political move in response to Delta's action in the political area. I think that the GA legislature's move was illegal state sponsored view point discrimination and that combined with Delta really having options (It could move more international service elsewhere, unlike UA where IAD is not really a good option) caused the business friendly governor of GA to back down. See https://news.delta.com/delta-ceo-ed-...jet-fuel-taxes

I am though interested in what is behind this? I could speculate that given UA's long term market gouging ex-EWR, and its low service and product quality, that taxing the near monopoly provider at EWR might be politically beneficial (if it opened up space for competitors to come in, lower fares). I certainly think that UA threatening to leave is silly, no one will take that seriously. Just curious what is behind the bill?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
Since planes don't refuel before each flight
I thought they more or less did.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by threeoh
I thought they more or less did.
Planes often don't fuel at outstations on short turns, but the extra cost of carrying the extra weight of carrying extra fuel to avoid paying a 4 cent/gallon tax would cost far more than the 4 cents one would save. On longer flights, its impossible to carry the fuel in any event.

And to those who think the extra cost is a killer, there are already major differences in fuel costs by region, far more than 4 cents. AirNav: Fuel Price Report Given the higher fuel costs in the NY area, if 4 cents/gallon actually mattered, UA would have bailed on the NY region long ago.
Miggles likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by BF263533
Chicago, SFO & LAX have some real bad employees also. I did have a few good EWR experiences over the years, but very few.

I never attacked a tax on constitutional grounds, but I have seen a lot of targeted laws struck down for one reason or another.
My travel plans don't often take me to LAX, so can't comment. There is one grumpy lounge ticket person at SFO who's mission in life seems to be to avoid doing anything at all, but he's compensated by the other agent who worked with me for 45 minutes to make a complex travel waiver flight change for me. ORD is my home base, so guess I don't think about it, but at least you can get to your gate faster than you can at EWR.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFO777
As with most government money grabs, there is a risk that NJ could wind up losing tax revenue by raising taxes on UA, even if UA stays as it is.

Since planes don't refuel before each flight, UA could implement a "Don't refuel at EWR" policy... manage fuel purchases on short-haul flights and refuel/top up only at cheaper tax out of state airports (assuming other taxes are lower than NJ) instead of at EWR. Obviously, that wouldn't work on long hauls but a 20% decrease in EWR fuel purchases would offset revenue gained from the tax increase. Presumably, fuel suppliers would lay off NJ staff if demand is cut further cutting state tax revenues.

Here's an idea NJ and every other state and local government, cut your crazy state employee pensions.
I can't imagine they would do such a thing over a measly $.04/gallon tax. Note that UA has hubs in the highest two states for aviation fuel taxes -- IL (ORD) at $.328/gallon, and CA (SFO/LAX) at $.27/gallon. NJ is currently one of the lowest at $.004/gallon. It's got a long way to go before it gets anywhere near IL and CA levels. If it's such a big deal, why did DL keep the DTW hub ($.219/gallon) over the CVG hub ($.034/gallon)?
Miggles likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Austin787
More likely UA would raise airfares at EWR.
Yep, allowing competitors to raise their fares, making the tax a direct transfer from all EWR fliers to the non-UA airlines operating there. Such a win for taxpayers.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I suspect that in a couple of weeks, UA announces a new M/F route from EWR to ??? and the tax idea gets dropped
Old Sep 17, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LBJ
I can't imagine they would do such a thing over a measly $.04/gallon tax. Note that UA has hubs in the highest two states for aviation fuel taxes -- IL (ORD) at $.328/gallon, and CA (SFO/LAX) at $.27/gallon. NJ is currently one of the lowest at $.004/gallon. It's got a long way to go before it gets anywhere near IL and CA levels. If it's such a big deal, why did DL keep the DTW hub ($.219/gallon) over the CVG hub ($.034/gallon)?
The differnce being that those tax rates are uniform for all opeartors, the draft NJ tax law as written apprears to be targeted.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by gmt4
The differnce being that those tax rates are uniform for all opeartors, the draft NJ tax law as written apprears to be targeted.
No different than airport that waive landing fees for new airlines and provide other incentives for competition.

Isn't United like 70% of EWR? It makes perfect sense to use taxes to encourage more competition so NJ residents have more options. The current situaiton is good for United and garbage for NJ residents, who are the ones who vote.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Originally Posted by jsloan
This is a dramatically unfair tax and I'm certain DL, AA, and B6 would love it if it were to be enacted into law. If it is, management will figure out some way to split United into four airlines (like Swiss does with Swiss International vs. Swiss Global).

Only in New Jersey does adding an extra tax that only applies to your biggest customer make sense.

I suspect that this was a temporary tax rebate for United that is being rescinded. Seems unfair if it just applies to United because they 'own' EWR, but regardless whatever the outcome UA has no place to go to replace EWR in the NYC Tri-State area.

Questions:

1. What is the fixed cost amount to UA if this goes through?
2. Could this be revenge by Samson/Smisek by loyalists?

Observations

In the end, agree, UA is not leaving EWR in any meaningful way. UA flies more pax into NYC via EWR/JFK/LGA than Delta, their next closest rival. NJ politics very corrupt!

Adam

Last edited by adambrau; Sep 17, 2018 at 4:15 pm
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jamesinclair
No different than airport that waive landing fees for new airlines and provide other incentives for competition.

Isn't United like 70% of EWR? It makes perfect sense to use taxes to encourage more competition so NJ residents have more options. The current situation is good for United and garbage for NJ residents, who are the ones who vote.
Apples and oranges. Landing fees are assessed by airport authorities, taxes are a product of the state government and dictated by state law. Tax breaks would be one thing as they usually have a sunset and conditions, but a seemingly targeted tax increase is quite different. I fail to see how the current situation is garbage for NJ residents, they directly benefit from the jobs provided, businesses from the commerce, the tourism dollars from having a major airport hub bringing people into their community. All of this translates into tax revenue. Look to cities who have lost hubs like St Louis, Memphis, or Cleveland for evidence contradicting what you're saying. Things could be far worse.

This is nothing more than the NJ state govt strong arming UA, as they know UA has the weaker hand. If they genuinely cared about increasing revenue (which is the claim) they'd write a law that would levy taxes fair across the board. Not write a law that discriminates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.