Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Could Move ‘the Bulk’ of its Operations from Newark if Jet Fuel Tax Increases

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Could Move ‘the Bulk’ of its Operations from Newark if Jet Fuel Tax Increases

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
It's posturing, of course, but it can be effective.
drewguy likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Serious question here, and I’m just a laymen, not a lawyer, so apologize if this sounds silly.

Obviously, UA can’t just take its business out of one of its largest hubs and just move it elsewhere. But aren’t there legal questions here? If this passes, it seems to me, anyway, that this could be considered discriminatory based on only applying to airline(s) that carry 8 million or more passengers? Couldn’t UA sue to have this law struck down based on that? And likely win.

Also, aren’t there other ways that UA could fight this? For example, with no slot limits, couldn’t they, for example, just start splitting up much of its EWR operation and give it to multiple Express carriers, so that no one carries over 8 million pax. Or transfer some of its jets to another ‘carrier’ that could operate for them - maybe, say, Continental Airlines?

i also wonder why the state would want to start a fight with presumably one of its largest employers and a company that provides that much economic activities in the state? Is there something going on behind the scenes that UA did to get the ire of the NJ government? It seems to me a state wouldn’t wont to provoke this kind of fight with a major contributor to the economy in the state? Or are they trying to extract some sort of concession from UA to ‘drop’ this tax. Seems very strange to me that this would happen out of the blue - seems there is something missing to the story here.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jspira
It's posturing, of course, but it can be effective.
This is a dramatically unfair tax and I'm certain DL, AA, and B6 would love it if it were to be enacted into law. If it is, management will figure out some way to split United into four airlines (like Swiss does with Swiss International vs. Swiss Global).

Only in New Jersey does adding an extra tax that only applies to your biggest customer make sense.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Also, aren’t there other ways that UA could fight this? For example, with no slot limits, couldn’t they, for example, just start splitting up much of its EWR operation and give it to multiple Express carriers, so that no one carries over 8 million pax. Or transfer some of its jets to another ‘carrier’ that could operate for them - maybe, say, Continental Airlines?
I read in another article that total traffic includes express and mainline.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
They could, they won't.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JHake10
I read in another article that total traffic includes express and mainline.
sure, but since it’s based on ‘carrier’, this wouldn’t apply to UAX flights, presumably, since those aren’t operated by ‘United’ but by ‘Skywest’, Expressjet’, ‘Mesa’, etc, all of which are different carriers.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

sure, but since it’s based on ‘carrier’, this wouldn’t apply to UAX flights, presumably, since those aren’t operated by ‘United’ but by ‘Skywest’, Expressjet’, ‘Mesa’, etc, all of which are different carriers.
Replacing mainline traffic with express traffic is a definite possibility that would satisfy nobody.

I'd also really enjoy it if UA decided to offer 45 daily flights from EWR to ABE, SWF, ISP, HVN, etc. (with continuing onward service, of course) in order to purchase fuel.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Its a dumb tax, just tax everyone. It'll all be a wash, and some airlines might fly a bit less to EWR, big deal.

UA ain't leaving EWR over a few 10's of millions.
sbm12 and Xyzzy like this.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by entropy
UA ain't leaving EWR over a few 10's of millions.
No, but (a) airfares will go up to compensate, and (b) the next new TATL longhaul service might well be announced from ORD, IAD, or IAH instead of EWR.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:46 pm

EWR already has I believe the highest cost per enplanement in the US... so of course it only makes sense to make operating out of there even more expensive

The question of course is whether they’ve got the balls to do anything about it. Or whether a suit can be won alleging its discriminatory (and I think that’s a pretty fair possibility)

Last edited by jk88usa; Sep 16, 2018 at 9:14 pm
Old Sep 16, 2018, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott

The bill as currently drafted contemplates regional affiliates of the major carrier with 8m+ annual enplanements.
JHake10 likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
OK. I’ll say it. I hate every inch of tacky EWR. I hate every grumpy employee. I hate the lines. I hate the tortured acces roads. I hate the bad layout. I hate how there’s no there there. Convenient to nothing. Did I mention the grumpy employees? I don’t know where UA would go, but I’d dance a jog if I never had to endure EWR again.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
More likely UA would raise airfares at EWR.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by milepig
OK. I’ll say it. I hate every inch of tacky EWR. I hate every grumpy employee. I hate the lines. I hate the tortured acces roads. I hate the bad layout. I hate how there’s no there there. Convenient to nothing. Did I mention the grumpy employees? I don’t know where UA would go, but I’d dance a jog if I never had to endure EWR again.
I'll take it one step further and say the same thing and lump all New York area airports in.
EWR764 and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by milepig
OK. I’ll say it. I hate every inch of tacky EWR. I hate every grumpy employee. ............. Did I mention the grumpy employees?

Chicago, SFO & LAX have some real bad employees also. I did have a few good EWR experiences over the years, but very few.

I never attacked a tax on constitutional grounds, but I have seen a lot of targeted laws struck down for one reason or another.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.