Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How many inches of leg room does a reclined seat take?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many inches of leg room does a reclined seat take?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2018, 12:17 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
None that belongs to you.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 12:39 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Coskigirl
Silly or not, it was his discussion prompt so we as students are not off on a tangent. Here's the link for the article that he asked us to read about it. This particular professor is the Dean of the school. Also, just so you don't think I'm an inexperienced 24 year old fresh out of undergrad, the program is a professional part-time program that's being offered as a hybrid online and in-person program. Because of this we have a period of 2 weeks where we don't see each other or him in-person and our work is all online line via reading, discussion forums, and video conferencing for office hours and sessions with our TAs to discuss material further.

How to Resolve Fights over Reclining Airplane Seats: Use Behavioral Economics - Evonomics

Anyhow, one person said it is an absolute known social contract that one does NOT recline seats in economy class. I tend not to on short flights or just a small amount but I know that many people do. Frankly, I only get irritated when they slam them back or forward with such force that they risk breaking laptops and spilling drinks. If my legs were long enough then I can see that slam back also banging knees but I don't personally have that issue. My feel is that while many people believe that one shouldn't recline it isn't a known social contract.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and input. I just wanted a sanity check on how much space we are talking about as I think sometimes people exaggerate.
sorry, What is a “social contract?”

Did your professor, in fact Dean, say that was a thing?
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles

sorry, What is a “social contract?”

Did your professor, in fact Dean, say that was a thing?
No, that was a fellow student who made that statement. It will be interesting to hear the in class follow up discussion next weekend.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by prometa

Your experience mirrors mine, but in theory whether the hinge is above or below your knees depends on your leg length.
Only if your thighs are somehow angled downward whilst seated?

I will say I have had the misfortune of some airlines' (including UA's) worn out seats enforcing this posture, and it is exceptionally uncomfortable.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Anyhow, one person said it is an absolute known social contract that one does NOT recline seats in economy class.
Well thats the first I've heard of that. Both my DW and I do and will recline seats in economy class and I've seen plenty of other seats reclined on flights. So i don't see how that can be an 'absolute known social contract'.
Coskigirl likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by drowelf
Well thats the first I've heard of that. Both my DW and I do and will recline seats in economy class and I've seen plenty of other seats reclined on flights. So i don't see how that can be an 'absolute known social contract'.
Yeah... I generally don't recline in Y (exception: last week's red eye...before that I can't think of the last time) but if it was an "absolute" social contract Y seats woundlt recline. $Diety knows that airlines would love to get rid of the maintenance involved with reclining seats if they could get away with it..
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: UA Plat (1MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC
I love how people engineer "social contracts" to expect another person to give up a feature of something they purchased so it benefits the contract engineer.

If I buy a seat that reclines, I use it.
Coskigirl likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I never heard this term before, facinating. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_contract
Coskigirl likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
LOL, I want to hear the detailed defense of the "absolute known social contract" idea. I generally don't bother reclining when in E but mainly because the amount of recline available just isn't worth constantly having to shift. When I want to recline, I recline -- and in the future I hope your classmate is the one behind me. ;-)
chavala and Coskigirl like this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
I generally don't bother reclining when in E but mainly because the amount of recline available just isn't worth constantly having to shift.
This -- my reaction is wait, Y seats recline?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K

No, that was a fellow student who made that statement. It will be interesting to hear the in class follow up discussion next weekend.
Please report back.
Coskigirl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.