Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kirby thinks airfares should be double

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by gene2632
Mr. Kirby, under your leadership we have seen wonderful things like fees fro baggage, fees for priority check in, fees for food in economy, seat pitch shrinking more and more, fees for an extra 3 inches of seat pitch, fees for changes, fees for international upgrades, devaluations of the value of our miles, longer wait times at counters, fewer and fewer real people, more and more machines....Should I go on? I fly because it is a quick, sometimes, and efficient way for me to get where I need and want to go. When it is no longer quick and cheap I will find another way.
Three cheers for Kirby! The current plan of sticking it to the kettles first makes brand loyalty easier! As a MM'er I can say fees, what fees? When I price / time compare other airlines and add in all (the same) the fees they add I can easily defend a minor price difference. So as long as things stay the same I will stick my head back in the sand and enjoy the ride.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Platinum
Originally Posted by mcgahat
Let me get this straight. The fact that airlines are a smaller percentage of GDP is a reason for raising the price of your product? I am not an economist but I don't see a the link.
I am an economist and I can tell you that there is no link. Kirby's argument is totally bogus.
jsloan and manstein58 like this.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
Those comments, if accurate, are extremely close to price signaling, which is a form of collusion and thus prohibited under the Sherman Anti-Trust Act.
Is it still collusion if he, on a daily basis to himself and anyone else who will listen, insists that it isn't?
Old Sep 16, 2018, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Those comments, if accurate, are extremely close to price signaling, which is a form of collusion and thus prohibited under the Sherman Anti-Trust Act.

Companies can't agree amongst themselves to set prices. A statement like "airfare should be twice what it is today," can easily be interpreted as a promise to double United prices if the competition were to double theirs.

It's not an open-and-shut case, but sincx is correct; Kirby would be better off keeping his opinions about pricing to himself.
But collusion is not a crime according to Giuliani!

In all seriousness the legacies can complain till they're blue in the face, it won't matter - the cat is already well of the bag! If UA doesn't want to offer the lowest fares, the likes of Allegiant, Spirit, Norweigian, Wow, etc. would be more than happy to take that demand off their hands! The only upward pressure I could see for fares would be surging fuel prices or a tightening in the credit market, something the airlines have never seen before . Either event could also threaten the ULCCs who operate on razor thin margins. Side note: I've got a minor in economics.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Sep 16, 2018, 4:02 pm

$1780. I remember the price well. That's how much it used to cost on a coast to coast flight without a Saturday night stay in it in 1997, in coach, no matter how far in advance you purchased it. My employer at the time paid it many times for me. I cannot imagine paying that in today's $$ under any circumstances. I don't need to revisit those awesome times.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
$1780. 1997
About $2,800 in today's dollars.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Kirby thinks airfares should be double

And if seat pitch doubles as well, I'll be happy.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA
I'm more interested in the competitive landscape than what Kirby chats to keep stockholder happy.

In my memory up to 2017, business class SFO-FRA was about $3k, now it is about $5k. Mayor difference i can see is Air Berlin going out of business since then.

Aka: Love to fly United, especially as MM, but whenever i have to pay myself, i am very happy if there is a lot of low cost competition. Alas, there's less now ;-(
Old Sep 16, 2018, 6:20 pm

CEOs make stupid public statements all the time. One Fortune 50 CEO recently made a statement in a public forum that 1/2 of his US facilities were non core and he would shortly be closing half of those. This without any prior notice to the employees at those facilities. What kind of impact do you think that had?
Old Sep 16, 2018, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kale73
Is it still collusion if he, on a daily basis to himself and anyone else who will listen, insists that it isn't?
Not sure if serious, so -- yes.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA
Lol. UA has pretty much doubled the fares out of IAH, even on routes that theyre not the most convenient route. IAH-CPH was more than double AA in economy, for example. Ill be flying AA. In December, UA wanted 500 bucks more for economy, than AM charges for business class on SCL and EZE. In that case, Ill just make a stop in MEX. UA has shown massive fare discrepacies on flights to CDG in all classes, and UA doesnt fly that route either. Earlier this year, UA was more for business class to CDG than AF, which flies it directly, and 5000 more than AM, which was about the same travel time. And that was for advance purchase. At some point, people are going to just fly someone else. Im willing to pay slightly more for UA, but not double or triple. If UA expands the Houston premium systemwide, there will be a lot of defectors like me. I dont see all the airlines matching those price rises, and if they do, it will just encourage more carriers like Norwegian to enter the market.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TominLazybrook
If UA expands the Houston premium systemwide, there will be a lot of defectors like me. I dont see all the airlines matching those price rises, and if they do, it will just encourage more carriers like Norwegian to enter the market.
If they could, they already would have. UA is able to charge a premium on some flights because of nonstop service, and competitors like to offer discounts to try to poach customers. That doesn't work systemwide, where they're more likely to be on an even footing with the competition.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 9:33 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Are there that many people in Houston flying to international destinations other than the Middle East?
Old Sep 16, 2018, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81
Are there that many people in Houston flying to international destinations other than the Middle East?
I don’t know but I suspect there may be significant traffic to Mexico and Central America.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 10:16 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.