Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The Points' Guy Interview with UA CCO and COO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Points' Guy Interview with UA CCO and COO

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by halls120
At DCA, arrive on a UA flight and you wait maybe 10 minutes for your bags. At IAD, you don't even start looking for them before 30 mins, and in some cases I've waited for over an hour - both domestic and international.
And clearing immigration and Customs for a connecting flight at IAD gives Murtala Muhammed Airport in Lagos a good name.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I think that it will be that you can only upgrade one class. Like for BA where they don't have GPUs but you can use miles + copay to upgrade. If you purchase Economy, you can upgrade to Premium Economy. If you purchase Premium Economy, you can upgrade to Business.

I recall from my two years of flying BA Premium Economy, the price differential between Economy and Premium Economy ranged between $500-$700 for the roundtrip. Many times on my United trips, the price differential between K (or S) and W is $900 but sometimes I have found it as low as $100 and sometimes I'm not even offered a choice of fares cheaper than W (due to origin airport). Which means that I have no clue how UA will price PE. But, most probably, I will purchase PE. I do hope that the PQM will be 150%. On BA, with PE you get more tier points than Economy (the points that count for status) but the good thing is that they give you those points even if you purchase the equivalent of the TOD (the POUG as they call it in their program).
100% think this is the logical and fair way to do this. With PE, you pay the W fare but get something in return: a PE seat instead of a losing lottery ticket for C from E+.

I hope this is rhe is the way it happens.
windhund likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tryathlete
100% think this is the logical and fair way to do this. With PE, you pay the W fare but get something in return: a PE seat instead of a losing lottery ticket for C from E+.
If they do this, there is no way that they price P+ at the same place they've been pricing W fares -- which, as StuckInITH notes, can sometimes be the cheapest fare in the market.

I hope that they will continue to allow Y->J while adding the ability to upgrade P+->J (probably exempting the lowest P+ bucket). I'm not holding my breath, however.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: UA Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott/SPG Gold
I wonder how much of the IAD expansion is due to NJ eliminating the tax break United enjoyed on aviation fuel? NJ only taxed fuel used in and over NJ, not the amount purchased/loaded, but is now looking to kill it to cover the PATH expansion cost. https://www.politico.com/states/new-...tension-537504
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I think that it will be that you can only upgrade one class. Like for BA where they don't have GPUs but you can use miles + copay to upgrade. If you purchase Economy, you can upgrade to Premium Economy. If you purchase Premium Economy, you can upgrade to Business.

I recall from my two years of flying BA Premium Economy, the price differential between Economy and Premium Economy ranged between $500-$700 for the roundtrip. Many times on my United trips, the price differential between K (or S) and W is $900 but sometimes I have found it as low as $100 and sometimes I'm not even offered a choice of fares cheaper than W (due to origin airport). Which means that I have no clue how UA will price PE. But, most probably, I will purchase PE. I do hope that the PQM will be 150%. On BA, with PE you get more tier points than Economy (the points that count for status) but the good thing is that they give you those points even if you purchase the equivalent of the TOD (the POUG as they call it in their program).
I'm quite sure United's rollout will be similar to the way Lufthansa positions its product. There will likely be a full-fare PE, middle-of-the-road discount PE, and deep-discount, with the deep-discount fare being the most restricted, earning 100% PQM/PQS and not upgradeable with a GPU while other fares are 125-150%. In practice, in a number of markets, LH N fares (lowest PE fare) are heavily restricted and in the ballpark of UA V/W/S fares. LH is also more restrictive in eligible Y-J fares using GPU.

I'd be OK with something like that; e.g., for a ~$1400 r/t fare EWR-EU, trade upgradeability for a guaranteed bigger seat, or keep the Y seat and have a shot at J (no different than currently). If implemented that way, it's status quo, for me.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: UA Plat (1MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC
At DCA, arrive on a UA flight and you wait maybe 10 minutes for your bags. At IAD, you don't even start looking for them before 30 mins, and in some cases I've waited for over an hour - both domestic and international.
I generally terminate trips at IAD on Friday afternoons, between 4-6pm. In the past year or so, my bag is generally at the carousel by the time I walk up to it, or within a few minutes of me arriving. This is marked improvement from 2-3 years ago when it was not uncommon to wait at the carousel for 45-60 mins for my bag to arrive.
wavid likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Yeah, but at IAD you first have to walk for 5-10 minutes from your gate pushing through crowds and then the long underground passageway to get to where the C Terminal Airtrain station is located, then wait for the train, take it to the main terminal, then up the escalator and out into the baggage claim area. As a result, it takes you at least 20 minutes from landing before you even reach the baggage claim. So the additional wait for the bags is then minimal.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
My real concern is that when things settle down PE will be priced like Polaris now is and Polaris will skyrocket. Return to three cabins without calling one First.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I won't take this interview as face value.

FWIW - airline executives say a lot of "promising" things. Many do not end up with actual accomplishment. For example, SMI/J once said B787 is a game-changing aircraft for IAH. The end result is SFO ends up with the most B787 routes instead. UA has attempted to buy A350 replacing B744. It ends up using B77W instead.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I was thinking the same thing. On the positive side, if you are willing to pay more for PE on BA, there is often lots of upgrade space to upgrade at booking. Though that also might be because it has an inferior business product.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 3:34 pm

The comments about IAD are interesting. I am curious what they have planned.

For international flights, there is certainly less competition than out of LA or NYC, and my anecdotal experience has been that UA has been able to command higher fares out of IAD as a result. However, the level of investment certainly hasn't matched!
Old Sep 14, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Artpen100

I was thinking the same thing. On the positive side, if you are willing to pay more for PE on BA, there is often lots of upgrade space to upgrade at booking. Though that also might be because it has an inferior business product.
The reason I was flying BA is because I was living in the UK working for a UK employer that did not allow travel in Business. I had a special exemption allowing me to travel in PE. And BA was good to me in terms of OpUps.

Now that I'm back in the US working for a US employer, I'm hoping that when UA gets their PE I'll be allowed to book that class. Business is more difficult as I have to ask permission for each trip. It gets tiring. Half the time, I end up paying the differential between Economy and Business (P fares) or the copay portion when using miles from my own pocket.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 11:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by milepig
My real concern is that when things settle down PE will be priced like Polaris now is and Polaris will skyrocket. Return to three cabins without calling one First.
Competition will set prices -- Unless the competitors also do this, UA cannot on its own.
And in reality, the market will not support that many seats at F price levels.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 1:23 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Compromise Downgrade: 1 GPU gets you a space avail upgrade Y-PE and DoD onward upgrade to C. Rewards people who buy PE, even close in, but doesn't shut the door on Y folks (and gets them more certain access to a better product).
Originally Posted by kilo
Or a single RPU for PE with the purchase of a higher Y fare class.

Originally Posted by drowelf
I just really don't see them restricting a GPU to Y->PE only. Thats going to piss off pretty much 100% of the 1K/GS population. I can see GPU Y (W or higher) ->C or PE (Any) ->C and maybe RPU Y (Select Class) -> PE. But we will see. There have not been a whole lot of Flier Friendly changes at any airline in the recent years.

I'm also interested in see what UA prices PE at. I've been looking at some PE on other airlines and the difference between PE and a P-Fare is ~500 R/T. for that money, I'll take the up front seating over PE.
Originally Posted by EWR764
I agree, except I wouldn't expect deep discount PE to be upgradeable, consistent with LH.
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I don't think that there is a snowball's chance in hell that 1K will be allowed to choose PE for free. And if the upgrade lottery goes from Y to PE, instead of Y to C, then it will make me rethink who I fly with. E+ is bad enough on the 10 across, no way will I do E.
or ua can do what air canada did years ago: instead of swu, you get E.G: gold gets 500, plat 750, 1k gets 1000 smisek tokens. you can use 100 smiesk tokens as an rpu. you can use 150 tokens for hawaii. 250 smiesk tokens for pe long haul, or 400 smistokens for c long haul. as ac now has a pe that's generally how it works. i think. only they called milton loonies or something.

knowing ua it'll work out to fewer than the equivalent of 6 gpu now, but i think a lot of fliers will be happy they get the flexibility. i'll have 3 unused gpu and 1 unused rpu end of year unless something happens, but at least i can roll those over as i will re-qualify.

i genuinely think they'll move to a system of credits imo. y->pe on a gpu will upset a lot of people but leaving them maybe 2 fewer gpu but higher odds to get pe where you can get more than 6 will probably gruntle enough of their top tiers.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cur
i'll have 3 unused gpu and 1 unused rpu end of year unless something happens, but at least i can roll those over as i will re-qualify.
In past years, it's been 2 GPUs max (no RPU rollover).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.