Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The Points' Guy Interview with UA CCO and COO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Points' Guy Interview with UA CCO and COO

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Have always wondered what would happen if One Mile at a Time tried to get an interview with UA...
Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:29 pm

Programs: Ex-UA Silver | Global Entry | Ex-HH Gold
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Wait, UA and CO hasn't yet integrated their crew?! It's been... 8 years?
This is exactly what I was wondering as well. Seems super strange from an operating prospective probably even impacting the bottom line especially over this period of time (8 years).
Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by GDL
This. I also think it'll be more aligned with the fare class purchased. We'll have to wait and see how PE will be priced first, maybe the price of PE won't be too far off what many the additional cost it takes to buy to a W fare (or higher) for GPU use.
I agree, except I wouldn't expect deep discount PE to be upgradeable, consistent with LH.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by DCEsquire
*VERY* interesting comments about IAD. Thank goodness.

A lot of IAD flyers have been asking the same question.
I'd rather the investments weren't over the next year or two, which suggests short-term patches, but rather a longer-term commitment in the form of serious planning for replacement.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 10:40 pm

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
Originally Posted by gregoryad
This is exactly what I was wondering as well. Seems super strange from an operating prospective probably even impacting the bottom line especially over this period of time (8 years).
Oh, it definitely has been.
When I'm in SFO and we're missing ONE Continental flight attendant that got stuck in another city, and UA ends up cancelling the whole flight, at a HUB full of United cabin crew.... but none of them can take the trip because #reasons ...
...then I'm a pissed passenger. And the poor gate agents have to deal with 150+ just like me.
SkiPremier likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Originally Posted by Legend717
Oh, it definitely has been.
When I'm in SFO and we're missing ONE Continental flight attendant that got stuck in another city, and UA ends up cancelling the whole flight, at a HUB full of United cabin crew.... but none of them can take the trip because #reasons ...
...then I'm a pissed passenger. And the poor gate agents have to deal with 150+ just like me.
One happy family in less than 3 weeks.

I'm a bit surprised at so many people not being aware of the flight crew separation. It has been going on for 8 years so if people are surprised they haven't been affected badly. I agree a unified UA/CO cabin crew contract has taken a long time but thankfully its time to put this issue to rest!

Adam
Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Portolan
pretty wishy-washy words...considerable investment could just mean creating the Polaris Lounge
Yeah, talk about more flights with current gates (banking) just suggests to me that the already overcrowded and pathetic C/D Dulles terminal will just become more overcrowded (and, hence, more pathetic).
Exactly. How does "rebanking" make the C/D dump any less pathetic?

And if they are going to spend money to improve the baggage handling process - needed - it screams "no new terminal." Why put in an automated baggage handling system to a terminal that is supposed to be temporary? Oh, that's right, they aren't going to build a new concourse, just continue screwing over their IAD customers. Because they can.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
What is the issue with baggage handling at IAD? I have only terminated at IAD on WN and don’t recall anything unusual.

or is it a C/D only issue?
Old Sep 14, 2018, 4:20 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by malgudi
You're not ... it was a lot of rah-rah BS
shouldn't come as much or surprise. Hart is a pmCO guy and was always quick to defend an inferior product and poor decision making because CO was the best. He is a Smisek poster child.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
What is the issue with baggage handling at IAD? I have only terminated at IAD on WN and don’t recall anything unusual.

or is it a C/D only issue?
It takes too long to get luggage from C/D to the main terminal.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 5:25 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by halls120
It takes too long to get luggage from C/D to the main terminal.
What is too long?
I rarely terminate at IAD and on those few times it was unscheduled. My wait times were favorably(?) comparable to ORD, SFO, and much better than PHL At one time PHL bragged about 45minute wait times.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by gregoryad
It's complicated integrating two groups with separate work rules governed by contract. A lot of it goes back to Smisek not being willing to sweeten the deal to get integration's benefits. It was a financial choice that impeded ability to serve customers (not being able to swap crew in IROPs, for example).
Old Sep 14, 2018, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by manstein58
I read their attitude as a bit smug and self-satisfied. Am i off base?
If you were making bank as one pillar of an entrenched cartel with a huge captive customer base, with existential competitive threats swept away and your stock price up 50% in one year, you'd be smug and self-satisfied too.

Originally Posted by adambrau
I'm a bit surprised at so many people not being aware of the flight crew separation. It has been going on for 8 years so if people are surprised they haven't been affected badly.
Oh, many are definitely aware. It's intolerable. Eight years is pathetic.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
What is too long?
I rarely terminate at IAD and on those few times it was unscheduled. My wait times were favorably(?) comparable to ORD, SFO, and much better than PHL At one time PHL bragged about 45minute wait times.
At DCA, arrive on a UA flight and you wait maybe 10 minutes for your bags. At IAD, you don't even start looking for them before 30 mins, and in some cases I've waited for over an hour - both domestic and international.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by drowelf
I just really don't see them restricting a GPU to Y->PE only. Thats going to piss off pretty much 100% of the 1K/GS population. I can see GPU Y (W or higher) ->C or PE (Any) ->C and maybe RPU Y (Select Class) -> PE. But we will see. There have not been a whole lot of Flier Friendly changes at any airline in the recent years.

I'm also interested in see what UA prices PE at. I've been looking at some PE on other airlines and the difference between PE and a P-Fare is ~500 R/T. for that money, I'll take the up front seating over PE.
I think that it will be that you can only upgrade one class. Like for BA where they don't have GPUs but you can use miles + copay to upgrade. If you purchase Economy, you can upgrade to Premium Economy. If you purchase Premium Economy, you can upgrade to Business.

I recall from my two years of flying BA Premium Economy, the price differential between Economy and Premium Economy ranged between $500-$700 for the roundtrip. Many times on my United trips, the price differential between K (or S) and W is $900 but sometimes I have found it as low as $100 and sometimes I'm not even offered a choice of fares cheaper than W (due to origin airport). Which means that I have no clue how UA will price PE. But, most probably, I will purchase PE. I do hope that the PQM will be 150%. On BA, with PE you get more tier points than Economy (the points that count for status) but the good thing is that they give you those points even if you purchase the equivalent of the TOD (the POUG as they call it in their program).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.