Mile Play Promotion (9/2018)

Old Sep 12, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: United 1K (2 Million Miler), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, National Emerald Executive, Hilton Diamond
4 trips/$500/6,000 bonus award miles
Old Sep 12, 2018, 12:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
1 trip, minimum $175 --> 3,500 miles
1 Mileage Plus Dine --> 500 miles
Do both --> extra 4,000 miles

If I had an October trip to any destination where flying UA made sense, I'd do it. But I don't, and 4,000 miles isn't enough to make me want to insert a connection into an itin that would be a nonstop on AS, WN, or AA.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: Latam Pass Black; UA 1K, 1MM; Marriott LT
Nothing for me in this.. wish they would do something..... I'm happy with anything over and above what I would get anyways...
Old Sep 12, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I'm actually thinking of cancelling my trip, paying the change fee and rebooking. What is that for domestic -- like 200 bucks? For 80K miles, is this insane or genius? Will it work? Am I missing anything? I leave Friday morning so need to move on this if I decide to do it.
Craig6z and brp1264 like this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I received an email at 1:28am PST thanking me for registering which I did not do. I checked and I got offer for 13,000 miles for one trip of $400. Don't know who registered me. I did write to mileage plus support asking where my miles were for the August Mile Play yesterday. They responded "wait eight weeks". Maybe they registered me as a consolation prize.

Wife got offer of 14,000 miles for one trip of $500. No idea why offers are close but different.

We do have one long European vacation already planned for this time period -- booked with points of course -- so we won't get the bonuses......
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA 1k
so, if I already have a trip booked, and I get it reticketed in some way -- does it then count?
What if to reticket it there was an add/collect of $200 (which is the minimum each trip needs to be)?

I'm also one of those suckers who plan their travel 6 months in advance, and have about 20 trips coming up in the next few months and none to book...
chavala likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Two trips of $275+ each. 19k bonus miles.

I booked an AS round trip last night that I am tempted to cancel and rebook on UA (two one-ways) for roughly the same price and convenient schedule.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cricketer
Someone needs to collect everybody's YTD info and then reverse engineer these promos.

I was offered 10,000 award miles if I take 2 premium cabin trips priced at over $2,000 each.

I checked, and I can buy 10,000 miles for $376.25
As you may have determined from the above, there's no sense to them at all. It's a random number generator or a computer with a bad sense of humor. I once had one that was "buy E+ twice" when I had an E+ subscription.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chavala
I'm actually thinking of cancelling my trip, paying the change fee and rebooking. What is that for domestic -- like 200 bucks? For 80K miles, is this insane or genius? Will it work? Am I missing anything? I leave Friday morning so need to move on this if I decide to do it.
Generally $200 plus any fare difference for domestic flights.

Originally Posted by augias84
so, if I already have a trip booked, and I get it reticketed in some way -- does it then count?
What if to reticket it there was an add/collect of $200 (which is the minimum each trip needs to be)?
Change fees are not considered add/collect. Add/collect -- short for "additional collection" -- is reserved for cases where new funds were needed in order to pay the fare. Ancillary fees, including change fees, are separate.

I don't think I'd want to do any of this unless I were certain that they'd use the reissue date. I don't recall what's been reported for similar promos in the past, but perhaps some thread spelunking will provide an answer. If it worked in August, it would probably work in October.

My guess is that it would only work if they forced a reissue, not a revalidation -- so, changing origin, destination, or the number of transfers might do the trick, but merely changing dates would probably not. But, as I said, this is a guess.

Originally Posted by augias84
I'm also one of those suckers who plan their travel 6 months in advance, and have about 20 trips coming up in the next few months and none to book...
I trust you're getting good fares...? UA will often withhold the discount inventory buckets until they see whether or not people will jump at the higher prices. For non-holiday / special event travel, the best deals are generally somewhere between 2 months and 3 weeks out.
chavala and findark like this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:30 pm

Wow!!! I wasn't expecting to qualify, but I clicked on the link and see "Book and take a trip 2 times by October 31, 2018 to get 92,000 bonus award miles"

*Each purchased fare must be a minimum of $150 to qualify

Don't see any other restrictions ... it looks like I'm doing SFO-LAX twice
jsloan, Pat89339, narvik and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by cricketer
Someone needs to collect everybody's YTD info and then reverse engineer these promos.

I was offered 10,000 award miles if I take 2 premium cabin trips priced at over $2,000 each.

I checked, and I can buy 10,000 miles for $376.25

Perhaps I'll just ignore this and get on with my life!
AND THERE YOU HAVE IT!!

Mine was similar - 2 premium cabin at > $1800 each for..... wait for it..... 10k miles. If I needed 10k miles that much (and I don't) then I'd buy em. Actually, a bit insulting.

"Bad dog, United!"

Lurker
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by Lurker
AND THERE YOU HAVE IT!!

Mine was similar - 2 premium cabin at > $1800 each for..... wait for it..... 10k miles. If I needed 10k miles that much (and I don't) then I'd buy em. Actually, a bit insulting.

"Bad dog, United!"

Lurker
Wow! And I thought mine was insulting. Book and take a trip 4 times by October 31, 2018 to get 6,300 bonus award miles.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
"Book and take a trip in a premium cabin 4 times by October 31, 2018 to get 9,000 bonus award miles."

Not gonna happen. Bookings for remainder of the year are on AS, DL, BR, SQ, and CX.

First time I've been eligible for one in a while though. I wonder if it was triggered by crediting BR J to my MP account.

Originally Posted by malgudi
Wow!!! I wasn't expecting to qualify, but I clicked on the link and see "Book and take a trip 2 times by October 31, 2018 to get 92,000 bonus award miles"

*Each purchased fare must be a minimum of $150 to qualify
Old Sep 12, 2018, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Also first eligibility in a while. Book and take a trip in a premium cabin 4 times by October 31 to get 12,000 bonus award miles ($650 minimum per trip). That's a little over my normal threshold although if I split things into one-ways you never know. Definitely not worth $1,300 just to do an extra r/t for the miles though.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
I hit 1K in July and haven't booked any international travel (90% of my spend on UA) since.

Was offered 54,000 for 2 premium cabin trips, min $2k a pop by October 31. Not going to happen.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.