Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: Hurricane Florence 10-17 September, 2018

Old Sep 10, 2018, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Extended to 17 Sept 2018
Originally Posted by Sykes
Print Wikipost

Travel Waiver: Hurricane Florence 10-17 September, 2018

Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:37 pm

Too early to forecast the impact on WAS. Could be anywhere from cataclysmic to minimal.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by prometa
Too early to forecast the impact on WAS. Could be anywhere from cataclysmic to minimal.
Both RIC and CHO are within 100 miles of WAS airports. Both have waivers in place. I guess that United will wait for one or two more days before deciding whether IAD, BWI and DCA will be included in the waiver.

Edit: Checked both AA and DL waivers. WAS airports were not included, either.

Last edited by Kmxu; Sep 10, 2018 at 7:30 pm Reason: CHecked AA and DL waivers
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
AA's waiver: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/travel-alerts.jsp

I'm getting a little nervous myself. I have a Saturday noon UA departure from IAD. I'm willing to fly out Friday night if I can get a waiver and beat the brunt of the storm.
keep your eyes open as waiver is likely coming. You could also try an SDC at 1pm on Friday to get the Friday night flight though you may have to do this through an agent. I had luck doing that before.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Kmxu
Both RIC and CHO are within 100 miles of WAS airports. Both have waivers in place.
Both are also smaller outstations, and thus are easier to schedule around.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 3:01 am

I have a flight back to SFO Thursday evening from IAD. Looking at NOAA it looks like tropical storm force winds are a good chance for Washington DC metro by Thursday mid day. Since I live in CA and don’t normally have to deal with storms like this what’s the typical UA flight response and delays when winds start picking up like this? I know All guess are out of the window if the storm comes north once it hits land and starts dumping a bunch of rain. Thinking of trying to get out of my last day of meetings and fly home Wednesday night to be safe and not get stuck here potentially through the weekend. Thanks
Old Sep 11, 2018, 4:57 am

Programs: United MP 1K, SPG Gold
Man... Originally on Thursday Sep 13 had a flight from PHL-> SFO -> KIX, which i had to change since KIX is closed due to typhoon to fly PHL -> IAD -> NRT. Looks like I may have to change my flight another time if IAD gets dicey
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Chicken12
Since I live in CA and don’t normally have to deal with storms like this what’s the typical UA flight response and delays when winds start picking up like this?
No air carrier will want to have a bunch of aircraft at $30 million a pop sitting in harms way. They will overnight elsewhere - forcing in-bound and outbound cancellations in the hurricane zone.

If airports don't shut down completely some flights may operate. Visibility needs to be adequate (so not in torrential rain) and runway crosswind components can't be too large (so big airports with runways in several directions have an edge).

Between air travel, car travel, hotel issues (loss of power...) you're really just better off avoiding it.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 2:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm ticketed RDU-IAD-SFO-YVR on Friday, traveling for a Flyertalk DO in fact. I called United today and asked to fly out of TYS instead (I'll be in Western NC on Friday anyway so this would be easy for me). The agent refused to do that saying they can only change the dates. I said that didn't help as I had an actual event to go to so going later wouldn't work. There's a State of Emergency declared in NC but United still wants fare difference and change fees for a flight that's going to cancel and that they're likely now to owe me a refund on
Old Sep 11, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by CMK10
I'm ticketed RDU-IAD-SFO-YVR on Friday, traveling for a Flyertalk DO in fact. I called United today and asked to fly out of TYS instead (I'll be in Western NC on Friday anyway so this would be easy for me). The agent refused to do that saying they can only change the dates. I said that didn't help as I had an actual event to go to so going later wouldn't work. There's a State of Emergency declared in NC but United still wants fare difference and change fees for a flight that's going to cancel and that they're likely now to owe me a refund on
You can quote the weather waiver. It says "... for a change in departure or destination city, the change fee will be waived, but a difference in fare may apply (my emphasis)."

Last edited by ajGoes; Sep 11, 2018 at 3:42 pm
Old Sep 11, 2018, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by CMK10
By the terms of the waiver, they should waive the change fee but you should have to pay the difference in fare. Having said that, if you find the right agent you can probably get the fare difference waived as well. It may take a few HUCAs to get there though.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I’m supposed to fly into PHL Thurs and out Sat. Not sure if I should go.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by zrs70
I’m supposed to fly into PHL Thurs and out Sat. Not sure if I should go.
Your outbound should be fine, but return will be iffy. If do not connect thru IAD, you may be okay.
If your trip can be rescheduled or not very important, you should stay put.
Good luck.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu
Both RIC and CHO are within 100 miles of WAS airports. Both have waivers in place. I guess that United will wait for one or two more days before deciding whether IAD, BWI and DCA will be included in the waiver.

Edit: Checked both AA and DL waivers. WAS airports were not included, either.
RIC and CHO are SW of WAS. The predicted rain and wind gradient for Florence is sharp, and thus the weather at RIC and CHO is currently expected to be much worse, with much higher probability, than the weather at WAS.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weath...=.544ffc172116
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
United Airlines Provides Updated Information on Impact of Hurricane Florence

Travel waivers, including baggage and in cabin pet fees, in place

CHICAGO, Sept. 11, 2018
-- United Airlines is continuing to monitor Hurricane Florence, which is predicted to make landfall in the southern part of North Carolina and cause extensive damage that will impact communities throughout the region. In preparation, United has plans underway to ensure our customers, employees and facilities are safe. For the most up-to-date news, announcements and travel updates about United service to airports in the Mid-Atlantic, customers are encouraged to visit united.com and on United's social media channels including @United on Twitter and United Airlines on Facebook.

Options for Customers

United is offering a travel waiver for customers ticketed on flights to, from or through impacted cities from Sept. 10 through Sept. 16, 2018. Customers may reschedule their itineraries for travel through Sept. 20 with a one-time date or time change, and the airline will waive the change fees and any difference in fare for flights booked in the same cabin and same arrival/destination airports. United will waive first, second, excess, overweight and oversized baggage fees as well as in-cabin pet fees for all flights to/from the below cities:
  • Asheville, North Carolina (AVL)
  • Charleston, South Carolina (CHS)
  • Charlotte, North Carolina (CLT)
  • Charlottesville, Virginia (CHO)
  • Columbia, South Carolina (CAE)
  • Fayetteville, North Carolina (FAY)
  • Greenville/Spartanburg, SC (GSP)
  • Greensboro, North Carolina (GSO)
  • Myrtle Beach, South Carolina (MYR)
  • Norfolk, Virginia (ORF)
  • Raleigh/Durham, North Carolina (RDU)
  • Richmond, Virginia (RIC)
  • Roanoke, Virginia (ROA)
  • Savannah, Georgia (SAV)
  • Shenandoah Valley Airport, Virginia (SHD)
  • Wilmington, North Carolina (ILM)
The airline has also reduced fares beyond what a regular last-minute fare would be for impacted markets. United's customer service teams are proactively reaching out to customers with reservations during the forecasted impact time and rebooking them on alternate flights.

Customers may check flight status and change travel plans quickly and conveniently via the United app, and on united.com. Customers who require rebooking or customers without reservations should not go to the airport. United is encouraging customers to call 1-800-UNITED-1 for help rebooking travel. The airline encourages customers who do not have immediate travel plans to call at a later date.

United continues to monitor the direction of the storm and will update waivers as needed.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 9:36 pm

Watching this closely. Currently scheduled to fly STL-IAD-CDG on Saturday with a companion on a award tickets. Would switch to the flight through ORD but I don’t want to pay and there doesn’t appear to be any J seats left on that flight. Holding tight and waiting to see what happens with Florence.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.