Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Updated Fare bucket availability -- by segment (when there is a fare break)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2018, 2:10 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I noticed something different today on the united website when searching for a trip to MSP -- previously it has been my experience that when you had connections that fare buckets would display the availability for each segment as the lowest availability -- for example if A was 3 on one segment and 2 on another both would show A2 -- today it is now showing the correct buckets for each individual segment -- to me this is great. I included a picture of what I meant -- I did a search and didn't see anything about this -- is this new or did I just miss it? .

In the example below I would have expected F5 A1 to be displayed for both -- to me this is also great to check upgrade / award availability for the route without having to keep piecing segments....

Old Sep 6, 2018, 2:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
With a fare break, IME, what you see today has always been true
Old Sep 6, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA MP
It has always been like this. Some times you'll see fares available when in married itinerary that you wouldn't otherwise see when the segment is alone. (IE. SFO-ORD would have T available when combined with ORD-LGA, but not when SFO-ORD is the only segment.) This is just how they control inventory and fares for routes.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Supima
In the example below I would have expected F5 A1 to be displayed for both -- to me this is also great to check upgrade / award availability for the route without having to keep piecing segments....
Don't rely on this. This is only happening because there happens to be a fare break at ORD. If you continue to search, you'll find counterexamples.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 2:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
With a fare break, IME, what you see today has always been true
Thanks - didn't know that. So how do I replicate this behavior when searching for award routings and available upgrade space -- for example EWR-HKG,easily finding EWR-XXX-HKG with R on XXX- HKG would make life so much easier...
Old Sep 6, 2018, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Supima
Thanks - didn't know that. So how do I replicate this behavior when searching for award routings and available upgrade space
You can't, sadly.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 3:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
You can't, sadly.

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.