Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA PlusPoints / Upgrades for sale on ebay ...(Warning these are not sanctioned by UA)

Old Jan 28, 2022, 4:52 pm

UA PlusPoints / Upgrades for sale on ebay ...(Warning these are not sanctioned by UA)

Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR P; HH D; IHG SpAmb

Just noticed this by chance, but is it normal that there are so many United upgrades for sale on ebay (and UA/ebay seemingly not doing anything about it?
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by a9504477
Just noticed this by chance, but is it normal that there are so many United upgrades for sale on ebay (and UA/ebay seemingly not doing anything about it?
UA does pose as buyers. Accounts are then closed and GPUs/RPUs/RPMs forfeited. Occasionally, some indignant fool who has been caught comes here and complains about it. You don't want to be a holder of a GPU or RPU when the account is closed. You have zero claim - "I didn't know buying one was against program rules" doesn't work. Some sellers try various tactics to say they're not selling them. One gimmick is saying you get a free upgrade instrument for buying "travel advice". It doesn't work. UA has unilateral ability to shut an account for any reason they want. They don't have to listen to or consider the excuse.
manstein58 likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
The closer to the expiration date the more you will find on ebay.
timezone_trooper likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: Ex-UA Silver | Global Entry | Ex-HH Gold
Don't do it, its a trap!.
Seriously though its banned and anyone that buys/sells them will also be banned.

Besides that there are status challenges on ebay. All of them are illegal as well. Don't do any of it!
Old Sep 6, 2018, 1:08 pm
Moderator: United MileagePlus

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
FYI

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse
narvik likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I've lost count of how many GS/1Ks I've met that are completely unaware that they cannot sell their instruments. Their excuse has always been "but they're mine". I guess they're too busy traveling to read the fine print but it's not an excuse.
Conversely, I've met a couple GS/1K's that are unaware they get GPUs at all.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by eng3
...Conversely, I've met a couple GS/1K's that are unaware they get GPUs at all.
That was me my first couple of years as a 1K. Had no idea. It took a work colleague who thought I was GS as I traveled so much to teach me about status and the benefits. I was not GS as the spend was spread around on various airlines and as I was flying business class did not really care. I knew about using miles to UG on flights to/from Australia - CO/UA but never once when calling about flights and upgrading did a phone agent mention to me about GPUs - a number went unused. I had the card but would just call a general United number - clueless! (Yes I am blonde.)

Obviously since then I have mended my ways, was introduced to FT and now have learned how to use the system.

Certainly never thought about selling a GPU.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
No matter what the program is, there is someone out there trying to find a way to scam it. Its just ingrained in some people's DNA to make a buck anyway they can.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
That was me my first couple of years as a 1K. Had no idea. It took a work colleague who thought I was GS as I traveled so much to teach me about status and the benefits. I was not GS as the spend was spread around on various airlines and as I was flying business class did not really care. I knew about using miles to UG on flights to/from Australia - CO/UA but never once when calling about flights and upgrading did a phone agent mention to me about GPUs - a number went unused. I had the card but would just call a general United number - clueless! (Yes I am blonde.)

Obviously since then I have mended my ways, was introduced to FT and now have learned how to use the system.

Certainly never thought about selling a GPU.
I was in the polaris lounge dining area the other day. I started chatting with the guy next to me. It was his second year as 1K. He seemed to know all about R inventory and MR tricks. I lamented about how difficult it is to find R and use the GPUs and his response was "Well you can always sell them". I explained that you cannot. He was in denial and said "But I see them on ebay". After further explanation, I got him through the stages to acceptance. It is easy to forget that FT is a tiny segment of the FF population. Most FF's don't know all their benefits or the best way to use them. You almost need a PhD to understand UA's upgrade process. I've been on this site for 10yrs and I still get confused sometimes.
wrp96, Artpen100 and zeer0 like this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by gmt4
No matter what the program is, there is someone out there trying to find a way to scam it. Its just ingrained in some people's DNA to make a buck anyway they can.
No kidding. just checked eBay to see for myself.
Someone who refers to themselves as a 1K is selling RPUs for USD169.
I have 20 of those currently, all of which are likely to expire before use...let me see....20 x $169 = $3380....where's that SELLING button on eBay?

lol, just kidding & totally ridiculous

After further explanation, I got him through the stages to acceptance. It is easy to forget that FT is a tiny segment of the FF population. Most FF's don't know all their benefits or the best way to use them. You almost need a PhD to understand UA's upgrade process. I've been on this site for 10yrs and I still get confused sometimes.
Good for you that you were able to convince them that this isn't allowed.

It is easy to forget that FT is a tiny segment of the FF population. Most FF's don't know all their benefits or the best way to use them. You almost need a PhD to understand UA's upgrade process. I've been on this site for 10yrs and I still get confused sometimes.
As far as selling RPU/GPU is concerned; that is DEFINITELY not straight-forward, and anyone who sells them on eBay surely must pretty much know this. There's some intricate steps that need to be adhered to for this to even work.
I hope most buyers and most sellers ARE United employees!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 6, 2018 at 2:39 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 6, 2018, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well the ads I've seen on eBay are where people are "selling" travel advice and including a GPU/RPU in the deal.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 3:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TomMM
Well the ads I've seen on eBay are where people are "selling" travel advice and including a GPU/RPU in the deal.
Makes no difference, UA will burn the seller and buyer. Remember UA makes the rules. UA is also the sole judge of the rules.

Prohibition of sale or barter

The sale, barter or other transfer or attempted sale, barter or other transfer of any mileage, certificates, awards, benefits or status, other than as authorized and/or sponsored by United, is expressly prohibited. Any mileage, certificates, awards, benefits or status sold, bartered or otherwise transferred is in violation of the Rules and any accounts or Members involved in such sales, barters or other transfers may be subject to United’s Remedies. The acquisition, use, transfer or attempted acquisition, use or transfer of mileage, certificates, awards, benefits or status that have been acquired by purchase, barter or other transfer in violation of the Rules may result in United’s exercise of United’s Remedies.
wxguy and Often1 like this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 3:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not only are there any number of scammers and fraudsters, but there is then a subset of them who are too cute by half and know that they have figured out how to get around the rules. They can't.

Zero sympathy.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Makes no difference, UA will burn the seller and buyer. Remember UA makes the rules. UA is also the sole judge of the rules.
Absolutely agree. Just pointing out the nuance to the OP.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 4:00 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
He has one posted on Canadian ebay. CAD $750.00, he seems to be based in the US he has 100% positive feedback, here is the feedback from one of his purchaser's " Respuesta y pago rpidos. Perfecto. Muchas gracias.
Aug 31, 2018"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.