Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Flights with only one or just a few passengers [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: -=- UA: GS + 3.9 Million Miler; Hilton: Diamond; Marriott: Gold; Hertz: President's Circle

Experienced a first this morning after 25+ years of flying --- only 2 passengers on the plane. And, the other guy was a co-worker who switched to my flight. I'm kicking myself for texting him to switch to this flight.

UA4083 on 9/4. SDF-ORD. Originally scheduled for 9/3 but delayed 17hrs due to storms in ORD.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Live4Upgrade
Experienced a first this morning after 25+ years of flying --- only 2 passengers on the plane. And, the other guy was a co-worker who switched to my flight. I'm kicking myself for texting him to switch to this flight.

UA4083 on 9/4. SDF-ORD. Originally scheduled for 9/3 but delayed 17hrs due to storms in ORD.
You are way too nice to your colleague. You would have felt like you had paid for a private jet (minus the good food and Champagne). It happened to my wife in 1992. She was the only passenger out of our small city on a Saturday morning. And that day, it was not due to previously delayed flights. The flight was in the early morning after her Ph.D. defense the day before and she was going for an interview which meant that the night before at the party I hosted for her she was not even able to enjoy some well deserved Champagne.
Live4Upgrade likes this.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Sep 4, 2018 at 12:19 pm
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
I was almost the only pax yesterday on SND-IAD -- everyone else bailed after estimated departure changed from 8:35 pm to 12:30 am.

But they cancelled, and we were all together on the 6:20 this morning.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
I was almost the only pax yesterday on SND-IAD -- everyone else bailed after estimated departure changed from 8:35 pm to 12:30 am.

But they cancelled, and we were all together on the 6:20 this morning.
SND?

David
Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat

I was the only pax a good few years ago on a 50 seat commuter flight from Orebro to travel Stockholm, my better solo experience was being the only pax in ANA FC ORD to NRT last year , me, 3 FA's and the 30 year old Hibiki !
Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:34 pm

A couple of years ago I was the only passenger on a fully crewed Thai Airways 777-300ER between HKT-BKK. Once on board I was free to choose any seat on board even though I was booked in Y. Once in the air, I got a personal greeting from the captain over the PA system. Quite surreal to walk around and see row after row all empty.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by DELee
SND?

David
Sorry typo, SHD - Shenandoah-Staunton.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Experienced a first this morning after 25+ years of flying --- only 2 passengers on the plane.
And then, sorry we're sold out of your choices for drink/snack/beverage.
ironcow13, Marschel, J.Z. and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
There was an old thread on this in the UA forum (I believe before the UA/CO merger). Lots of examples of people being the only person or one of a handful of people on UA flights.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
My mother was once one of two passengers on a regional flight. The other passenger was Col. Sanders from fried chicken fame...
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by B747forever
A couple of years ago I was the only passenger on a fully crewed Thai Airways 777-300ER between HKT-BKK. Once on board I was free to choose any seat on board even though I was booked in Y. Once in the air, I got a personal greeting from the captain over the PA system. Quite surreal to walk around and see row after row all empty.
If the captain announces your name and their are no other passengers on board, does the PA make a sound?
Craig6z likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
And then, sorry we're sold out of your choices for drink/snack/beverage.
More likely, it would be, "Due to the short duration of this flight, there will be no beverage service"
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy
If the captain announces your name and their are no other passengers on board, does the PA make a sound?
Haha, good one!
Old Sep 4, 2018, 4:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I guess this debunks the theory UA cancels flights when there are too few passengers?

My contribution to the discussion is a flight my wife took (an award flight). Believe it was DEN-PIR-HON-FSD, or something similar some 20+ years ago.

She was the only passenger (going to HON) but they had to stop in PIR to drop off a dog! which traveled in the cabin. Probably someone's prized hunting dog.

So maybe you can say there were two passengers.
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 9:45 pm

Not UA, but I was just on a flight with a total of 3 passengers (and about 5 crew, I think). E170 with 76 seats Asked the crew and they said they haven't seen anything like it before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.