Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated HNL connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated HNL connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2018, 4:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by riphamilton
i would be interested in a westbound redeye from EWR, but i wonder what UA would do with that 767. would it turn back to EWR at 7-8am HNL time for a midnight-ish arrival? that has no appeal to me, nor anyone i know. i like the later departures from the islands so i get a full last day before heading home.
For several years, UA did an SFO turn with the 764 - early morning departure from HNL, late afternoon departure from SFO (in time for the late night east coast departure). It worked pretty well from a passenger perspective.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by halls120

you haven’t been to the decades old “temporary” C/D concourse at IAD, have you?
having been through IAD a bunch recently, it is definitely better than what it has been with the upgraded food options and A/B is amazing with the LH/TK lounges.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA1K

having been through IAD a bunch recently, it is definitely better than what it has been with the upgraded food options and A/B is amazing with the LH/TK lounges.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 4:21 pm

Location: Various tier levels of frequent flyer/hotel plans received for bellyaching about minor flaws in the service I received.

Well, yes, I have (I live in DC). While they're terrible, I must just be used to them. However at least IAD has multiple food options. At HNL the line to order food at the one restaurant open at 2 pm was at least 100 people long. For all the kvetching that people do about the train to nowhere, at least you don't get off the plane and have to walk out into the heat simply to get your bags. Who came up with that idea?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by CO DCA
...at least you don't get off the plane and have to walk out into the heat simply to get your bags. Who came up with that idea?
HNL bag claim is air-conditioned (although not as cold as some like). Other Hawaiian airports have no a/c bag claims, some no a/c'd waiting rooms, some no jetways. I personally enjoy the open-air walk to bag claim (or to/from inter-island terminal) - tells me I'm home. Houston has air-conditioning between plane and bag claim - maybe you want to vacation there, instead?
Miggles and EWR764 like this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CO DCA
Well, yes, I have (I live in DC). While they're terrible, I must just be used to them. However at least IAD has multiple food options. At HNL the line to order food at the one restaurant open at 2 pm was at least 100 people long.
While I make it a point to not eat at a airport unless I no other choice - I have never seen (at least 150+ flights HNL-mainland flights in early afternoon) the Mexican place immediately after security for UA to have a line - ever. Quite frankly, I've never seen a 100+ person at any restaurant at HNL - the Quizonos might have 20 people in line, or the bar that formally pizza hut (now some other people) usually always seats at the bar and certainly always has tables available - so, I'm not sure what place could have possibly had 100+ people in line.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Glad to see United continuing to invest in the islands. As others have indicated, HNL needs a ton of upgrades. Will be interesting to see what flight options come up allowing for an overnight flight arriving in HNL in the AM.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
IAD isn't comparable to HNL. IAD's main terminal is physically nice, and the immigration hall has plenty of GE kiosks for even the busiest times. A/B (excluding the UAX part) is very nice as well. C/D is bad, yes. But their food options are better, a Polaris lounge is coming in the next year or so, and the Metro will extend out to IAD in 2019.

C/D definitely isn't nice, but the airport as a whole is nowhere near 1B next to 1A as Honolulu.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA G 1.9MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
That's not really the same thing at all. If I arrive at 1pm, by the time I get my bags and uber/taxi/rental car to the hotel, it is definitely check in time. And a daytime flight, in my experience - is a heck of a lot different than a red-eye for most people especially in economy.

If I arrive at 5am (like the Vegas flight) - I'm groggy (it is not a fun flight - I've done it a few times) - you'd get to Waikiki by 6:30am, you have no shower - you are tired - after you change in a public bathroom and have breakfast (a lot of people don't have breakfast) it's still 8am - so I groggy it out until 10am for the pool - get sunburned off the charts - finally get drinks at 11am when the bar opens - and eventually get into my at 3pm checkin. Then, I'm so exhausted, I can't even rally for evening number 1.

I just don't see a market for that for tourists. Sure, some will do it - once. Fewer, twice or more.

I just don't see a bunch of people leaving at 3am (LAX/SFO) or 1am (EWR) to land at 5am. I don't see the mass market appeal at all. I think Oscar was either mis-quoted or meant something else.
Exactly correct. I used to fly from Korea to HNL regularly. Arrival was at 7 AM. Always had to wait on a room. It's the longest day ever. Its bad enough to have to take a redeye when you leave. I could not imagine doing it both ways.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 2:51 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Really don’t get the negativity here for HNL. I personally really like the laid back vibe of the airport, and the very large amount of open air space.

My aspiration, and I know this is a very big ask, is that a renovated United club has at least one shower. So often flights are timed for a day at the beach with a long flight afterward. Would be so nice to board that red eye clean!
EWR764, Phil Level, Kacee and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
...So often flights are timed for a day at the beach with a long flight afterward. Would be so nice to board that red eye clean!..
Ala Moana Beach Park on way to airport has outdoor showers (no hot water, of course). If I need a shower, that's what I do, then I'll hit Nico's Pier 38 for food that's better than at the airport (or on the plane). I don't think a UC Club shower will be in the cards. The airport (probably more than 10 years ago now) did have a shower concession not to far from CO's President Club, but didn't get enough business.
Kacee likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Ala Moana Beach Park on way to airport has outdoor showers (no hot water, of course). If I need a shower, that's what I do, then I'll hit Nico's Pier 38 for food that's better than at the airport (or on the plane). I don't think a UC Club shower will be in the cards. The airport (probably more than 10 years ago now) did have a shower concession not to far from CO's President Club, but didn't get enough business.
Of the 100's of red eye flights I take heading home from the islands, I've somehow always secured a late checkout most times, or worst case I have enough friends that I use their house for a quick shower at the end of the day. Third option is paying for one more night at the hotel, but I've never had to do that, yet. I consider all of this first world problems, as I feel fortunate to even have the opportunity to afford to visit the islands. As much as I criticize Hawaii over the years, I still love it and look forward to every trip.
747FC likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA G 1.9MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Of the 100's of red eye flights I take heading home from the islands, I've somehow always secured a late checkout most times, or worst case I have enough friends that I use their house for a quick shower at the end of the day. Third option is paying for one more night at the hotel, but I've never had to do that, yet. I consider all of this first world problems, as I feel fortunate to even have the opportunity to afford to visit the islands. As much as I criticize Hawaii over the years, I still love it and look forward to every trip.
Agree, The Doubletree will let you check out at 6PM for $85 extra. The Embassy Suites and HHV have rooms you can use for a shower as well, for free after checking out.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
Really don’t get the negativity here for HNL. I personally really like the laid back vibe of the airport, and the very large amount of open air space.

Me too! I was wondering if I'm the only one reading through these posts who likes HNL. I fly LAX-HNL-LAX twice a year for the past 4-5 years, and find HNL one of the easiest airports to get in & out of... but I'm used to LAX and EWR (where the cars at arrival are triple or quadruple parked). Sure, HNL isn't the most modern, but the people are nice and helpful.

We usually don't eat at HNL but prefer a quick stop at nearby Mitch's sushi. If we have time, we dine in, if not, we get take out and eat at HNL or on the plane.
Kacee likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 11:48 pm

Programs: United MP 1K, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
. I visit, despite the feeling that Hawaii loves the money, but hates me at the same time.
This is how i felt when I visited the sheraton in waikiki. Terrible service, no aloha spirit from any employees, and everything was designed to extract the most money out of tourists staying there. I'm just happy I have family there that I can stay with to avoid some of the touristy places.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.