Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated HNL connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated HNL connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:07 pm

The UA fares to the islands are often $100-200 more than Delta, Hawaiian, etc. Makes no sense.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by claaaaaydavis
The UA fares to the islands are often $100-200 more than Delta, Hawaiian, etc. Makes no sense.
And, just as often they are not.....

My first search on Orbitz, 9/18 to 9/25 HNL-SFO, shows UA at $396, Delta $399, and Hawaiian $477

Or, same dates, HNL-LAX, UA $303, Delta $377, Hawaiian $424

In my experience, flying near weekly to the mainland - practically every flight is at 100% capacity, I see that more as a reflection or pricing for all the airlines.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

I have no real insight as to what they’re thinking, but the “stubbed-off” appearance of the DH end of the DH terminal suggests it was built with intention of being extended at one time. Plus, the first gate number in current terminal is 6, suggesting to me there was thought at one time (early ‘70s, IIRC) of 5 additional gates in the future. Current Int’l arrivals at DH terminal isn’t really sterile and some of the current plywood addresses some of that, but new gates could be built to approach current Homeland Security desires. I think current terminal, with updating, is OK for domestic arrivals and all departures. The upper floor, where the UC is, is a complete waste of space, utilized only by the UC and arriving int’l pax passing thru a couple of times a day.
Good points - perhaps there is confusion in the choice of wording used, between "New" Diamond Head terminal, and "Extended" terminal. I absolutely dread departures from gate 6! No gate that I know of at IAD comes close to matching this debacle of design. And I had completely forgotten about the sterile issue. "Isn't really" is putting it mildly - It is stunning that HNL was able to get away with their process for as long as they did - with 4 or 5 sheep herders responsible for monitoring hundreds of passengers to make sure nobody ducks under the seatbelt strap lane guides and out the door.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by Wx4caster
Good points - perhaps there is confusion in the choice of wording used, between "New" Diamond Head terminal, and "Extended" terminal. I absolutely dread departures from gate 6! No gate that I know of at IAD comes close to matching this debacle of design. And I had completely forgotten about the sterile issue. "Isn't really" is putting it mildly - It is stunning that HNL was able to get away with their process for as long as they did - with 4 or 5 sheep herders responsible for monitoring hundreds of passengers to make sure nobody ducks under the seatbelt strap lane guides and out the door.
Hawaii is the poster child for how to do things wrong, and always has been. They want the tourist dollars, but complain about new hotels. Companies leave, as wages are too high to justify the expense.

Don't' get me wrong, I love Hawaii, and I'm glad to see improved options, but HNL being 30 years behind in improving things is IMO typical for the islands. I visit, despite the feeling that Hawaii loves the money, but hates me at the same time.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Hawaii is the poster child for how to do things wrong, and always has been. They want the tourist dollars, but complain about new hotels. Companies leave, as wages are too high to justify the expense.
Given we are on what 8 or 9 years straight of record tourism, I'd have to disagree - Hawaii is doing this wrong. You may want a bunch of more hotels, but at the end of the day Oahu is 40x16 mile island, it only has so much room. Just a drive from SF to San Jose is longer than the length of the island of Oahu. As a resident, I would argue the inn is full, there just isn't more room for more hotels regardless of how many more people want to come visit.

What companies are leaving besides agriculture? Regardless, wages aren't very high when compared to SF or LA or Seattle and are across the board lower - nobody moves to Hawaii for higher wages - they move away because of low wages and high cost of living. Costs are high - especially electricity (we have import oil for that) - real estate is expensive (again, tiny island) - I suppose if we throw agriculture into the mix, sure wages are high compared to lets say the Philippines - where most pineapples and sugar cane now come from - but who in the US competes with South Asia wages?
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Given we are on what 8 or 9 years straight of record tourism, I'd have to disagree - Hawaii is doing this wrong. You may want a bunch of more hotels, but at the end of the day Oahu is 40x16 mile island, it only has so much room. Just a drive from SF to San Jose is longer than the length of the island of Oahu. As a resident, I would argue the inn is full, there just isn't more room for more hotels regardless of how many more people want to come visit.

What companies are leaving besides agriculture? Regardless, wages aren't very high when compared to SF or LA or Seattle and are across the board lower - nobody moves to Hawaii for higher wages - they move away because of low wages and high cost of living. Costs are high - especially electricity (we have import oil for that) - real estate is expensive (again, tiny island) - I suppose if we throw agriculture into the mix, sure wages are high compared to lets say the Philippines - where most pineapples and sugar cane now come from - but who in the US competes with South Asia wages?
The same complaints are being made about Colorado Springs, growth is bad, etc. Population is growing worldwide. I would loving nothing more than to see Hawaii what it was in 80’s, and I could say the same for Colorado. But short of stopping growth, what is the answer?

Ill suggest the same thing every time, it was ok for you to arrive, but shut the flood gates afterwards?
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by COSPILOT

I would loving nothing more than to see Hawaii what it was in 80’s, and I could say the same for Colorado. But short of stopping growth, what is the answer?

Ill suggest the same thing every time, it was ok for you to arrive, but shut the flood gates afterwards?
I personally don't have much of a desire to experience Oahu in the 80's - I can watch Magnum PI for that. Growth isn't stopping. I suspect Hawaii will set more records next year and the year after. My point was, there does come a point you run out of room to add hotel buildings - If an area is zoned for a hotel, by all means, build it. On the same token, I don't think we need a bunch of high rise hotels on the North Shore or Kailua (where I live) - The flood gates aren't being shut, hence the expansion of Southwest soon and a massive expansion by UA. Sure, come - but I don't think there is anything wrong with it being expensive due to limited capacity.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
I would think the DEN scheduling changes would be having the planes spend less time on the ground in Hawaii. Currently, the DEN flights arrive in Hawaii between 2-4 pm and don't depart until around 8. They don't need to spend that much time on the ground and could be better utilized. A 757 can easily be turned in an hour and a 772 doesn't need more than 1.5-2 hours for a flight of that length.

They only overnight flights from the mainland would probably come from the east coast (EWR and IAD) with a midnight departure and 5 am arrival. Maybe fly the planes in a EWR/IAD-HNL-SFO/LAX/DEN-HNL-EWR/IAD rotation instead of just back and forth from the east coast.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA GS 4+ MM
Such high expectations. Give credit where due: the airport successfully renumbered the UA gates recently! They have now completed their 2018 capital project on time.
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dkc715
Such high expectations. Give credit where due: the airport successfully renumbered the UA gates recently! They have now completed their 2018 capital project on time.
New G7-G10 numbering is still one gate (old 6), but it allows the airport to add new gates to east (eventually) with logical numbering.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Sep 4, 2018 at 6:50 pm
Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
That is indeed a curious statement - I wondered if it is misquoted.

I don't see that working for SFO, LAX - even EWR (leave 2am, arrive 6am). If I'm a tourist landing at 5am, 6am - with a bunch of suitcases, maybe even with kids, where am I supposed to go? Hotel occupancy is off the charts especially on Oahu so the chance of you checking in early is very small unless you want to pay an extra night hotel - and hotels aren't cheap here.
It's the same thing even if you arrive at 1pm. As you say, unless you're lucky, you're not going to get your room for at least a couple of hours, so you check your bags with the bell desk and take advantage of the pool, the bar and the beach. I assume that if you were to arrive early AM you just get breakfast before going to the pool.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:09 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
I used HNL for the first time last week and yesterday. What a dump! I wasn’t expecting an ICN but I wasn’t expecting a worse than old BOM either. I wonder how far $200M will go there.

I did get a bonus of a 77W on the return (in J) which helped take my mind off the airport.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by greg99
It's the same thing even if you arrive at 1pm. As you say, unless you're lucky, you're not going to get your room for at least a couple of hours, so you check your bags with the bell desk and take advantage of the pool, the bar and the beach. I assume that if you were to arrive early AM you just get breakfast before going to the pool.
That's not really the same thing at all. If I arrive at 1pm, by the time I get my bags and uber/taxi/rental car to the hotel, it is definitely check in time. And a daytime flight, in my experience - is a heck of a lot different than a red-eye for most people especially in economy.

If I arrive at 5am (like the Vegas flight) - I'm groggy (it is not a fun flight - I've done it a few times) - you'd get to Waikiki by 6:30am, you have no shower - you are tired - after you change in a public bathroom and have breakfast (a lot of people don't have breakfast) it's still 8am - so I groggy it out until 10am for the pool - get sunburned off the charts - finally get drinks at 11am when the bar opens - and eventually get into my at 3pm checkin. Then, I'm so exhausted, I can't even rally for evening number 1.

I just don't see a market for that for tourists. Sure, some will do it - once. Fewer, twice or more.

I just don't see a bunch of people leaving at 3am (LAX/SFO) or 1am (EWR) to land at 5am. I don't see the mass market appeal at all. I think Oscar was either mis-quoted or meant something else.
Miggles, EWR764 and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller
I used HNL for the first time last week and yesterday. What a dump! I wasn’t expecting an ICN but I wasn’t expecting a worse than old BOM either. I wonder how far $200M will go there.
OTOH, it is Hawaii. SMF Terminal B is nice, but give me the huts of KOA or plywood in HNL any day. Because Hawaii.

Sure the UC could be modernized, but it is spacious and perfectly fine pre flight.

Semi OT - New BOM INTL is really nice!

As to the western red eyes, hotel status can pry open a room at 1pm but highly unlikely at 5-6am...
Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:23 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by DA201
They only overnight flights from the mainland would probably come from the east coast (EWR and IAD) with a midnight departure and 5 am arrival. Maybe fly the planes in a EWR/IAD-HNL-SFO/LAX/DEN-HNL-EWR/IAD rotation instead of just back and forth from the east coast.
the flaw with this “W” routing is equipment: the 77A hawaii birds and the 757 can’t do EWR/IAD-HNL. UA has more profitable uses for the 767 fleet than competing with the likes of WN and VX for west coast to hawaii.

i would be interested in a westbound redeye from EWR, but i wonder what UA would do with that 767. would it turn back to EWR at 7-8am HNL time for a midnight-ish arrival? that has no appeal to me, nor anyone i know. i like the later departures from the islands so i get a full last day before heading home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.