Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated HNL connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated HNL connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
UA’s $200M Investment in HNL [Sept. 4 2018 Honolulu Star Advertiser Munoz Article]

http://www.staradvertiser.com/2018/09/04/business/united-airlines-plans-to-invest-200-million-in-states-airports/

Front page of the Star-Advetiser this morning... mostly a puff piece for UA in Hawaii, but good to see UA’s investment in our airports. Not sure if it’s the newspaper’s slant or Munoz’s actual comments, but some digs at our local tourism authority/government structure, which can’t seem to get its act together. Curious statement: “Munoz said United plans to shift scheduling at hubs so consumers can leave the mainland overnight and get to Hawaii in the morning. The carrier is expected to launch a major scheduling change at its Denver hub in February to allow for shorter connections between flights to Hawaii.” What?
mdtakamine likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There is the HA LAS-HNL westbound redeye flight. Maybe this is suggesting UA will do something similar, though that seems unlikely to me, at least not in volume.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by slippahs
The carrier is expected to launch a major scheduling change at its Denver hub in February to allow for shorter connections between flights to Hawaii.” What?
Rebanking at DEN. Announced months ago. United Airlines Rebanking Hub Schedule at Houston/Chicago Pays Off
Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I hope Oscar got to saw all the plywood that is currently the interior of UA's Diamond Head terminal. The Honolulu airport has been a hub of corruption and incompetence for years. Even the process to set up an airport authority is probably underlain by figuring out a way to keep things the way they really are.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:43 am

Location: Various tier levels of frequent flyer/hotel plans received for bellyaching about minor flaws in the service I received.
I honestly can't think of a U.S. airport that is more of a disaster. It amazes me that Hawaii's economy is so dependent on tourism, and the front door looks like it was was nailed together out of plywood and scotch tape.
United747 and Mauibaby2008 like this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by CO DCA
I honestly can't think of a U.S. airport that is more of a disaster. It amazes me that Hawaii's economy is so dependent on tourism, and the front door looks like it was was nailed together out of plywood and scotch tape.
HNL and IAD are 1A and 1B.
Mauibaby2008 and Hipplewm like this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by slippahs
Curious statement: “Munoz said United plans to shift scheduling at hubs so consumers can leave the mainland overnight and get to Hawaii in the morning. The carrier is expected to launch a major scheduling change at its Denver hub in February to allow for shorter connections between flights to Hawaii.” What?
That is indeed a curious statement - I wondered if it is misquoted.

The 2am LAS-HNL in my opinion is a very unique flight catering almost exclusively to Hawaii locals. It lands at 5am - which is fine if you live here, you drive home.

I don't see that working for SFO, LAX - even EWR (leave 2am, arrive 6am). If I'm a tourist landing at 5am, 6am - with a bunch of suitcases, maybe even with kids, where am I supposed to go? Hotel occupancy is off the charts especially on Oahu so the chance of you checking in early is very small unless you want to pay an extra night hotel - and hotels aren't cheap here.

On the flip side, I'm sure UA hates the planes that park overnight for several hours for the early LAX/SFO flights and they want to increase utilization - flying in an overnight mainland flight mitigates that.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
SFO sometimes has 5 or 6 departures to HNL on any given day, no harm to shift schedule a bit to increase marginal flying. For every family out there who abhors morning arrival, there will be another pair of active couple who appreciates morning arrival and the saved cost with one less night of hotel.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:25 pm

you haven’t been to the decades old “temporary” C/D concourse at IAD, have you?
UA_Flyer, oopsz, am1108 and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Insanely long line outside the building for an early morning departure back in June. I don't know what people do when it rains. Thank goodness for the PreCheck lane, which was practically empty.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I used to do same day turns DEN-HNL-DEN for meetings, which hasn't been as practical recently. Not that I have a need for it now, but earlier departures from DEN sounds good. Hawaii is very unique for business coverage, as there isn't enough to justify a full time person in Hawaii, but if it's part of one's territory, it's also annoying to waist days for the little revenue that comes from it. I'd rather do a same day turn, saving hotel expense, etc.

My vacations are secondary, and much like early arrival into SYD or MEL, I'll deal with that as needed.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:54 pm

Perhaps it's part of the overall zoning plan to complement the street-lined "housing" along the thoroughfares of Kakaako and downtown I'm just amazed that a new Diamond Head Terminal is still just "in planning". Just exactly what is the plan if the current DHT is being gutted and re-furbished as we speak? Finish updating then tear it down a week later to make room for a new terminal? Elsewhere, it seems construction is in full swing, at least as much as can be expected here, with the commuter terminal now completely demo'd and the massive structure going up in what used to be the rental car surface lot. Not to mention the guiderails for our $15B future running track, I mean light rail, is steadily progressing past the Pearl Harbor-Hickam interchange heading toward the airport.
mdtakamine likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by halls120

you haven’t been to the decades old “temporary” C/D concourse at IAD, have you?
I sure have. Right up there with 3rd world airports.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Wx4caster
...Just exactly what is the plan if the current DHT is being gutted and re-furbished as we speak? Finish updating then tear it down a week later to make room for a new terminal?...
I have no real insight as to what they’re thinking, but the “stubbed-off” appearance of the DH end of the DH terminal suggests it was built with intention of being extended at one time. Plus, the first gate number in current terminal is 6, suggesting to me there was thought at one time (early ‘70s, IIRC) of 5 additional gates in the future. Current Int’l arrivals at DH terminal isn’t really sterile and some of the current plywood addresses some of that, but new gates could be built to approach current Homeland Security desires. I think current terminal, with updating, is OK for domestic arrivals and all departures. The upper floor, where the UC is, is a complete waste of space, utilized only by the UC and arriving int’l pax passing thru a couple of times a day.
mdtakamine likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
That is indeed a curious statement - I wondered if it is misquoted.

The 2am LAS-HNL in my opinion is a very unique flight catering almost exclusively to Hawaii locals. It lands at 5am - which is fine if you live here, you drive home.

I don't see that working for SFO, LAX - even EWR (leave 2am, arrive 6am). If I'm a tourist landing at 5am, 6am - with a bunch of suitcases, maybe even with kids, where am I supposed to go? Hotel occupancy is off the charts especially on Oahu so the chance of you checking in early is very small unless you want to pay an extra night hotel - and hotels aren't cheap here.
It seems very improbable to me - for the reasons you cited. I can't imagine westbound yields would be anything but junk, junk, junk. How many westbound redeyes do we see from Europe? (Zero is the answer, I believe.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.