Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Non-Polaris swap to/from Polaris seat re-assignment process?

Non-Polaris swap to/from Polaris seat re-assignment process?

Old Mar 9, 2019, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by avi8tir
If my flight goes from non-polaris V1 to V2 with Polaris, what will my seat assignment end up being? I assume there is an exact method United uses.
Don't assume. There doesn't seem to be any clear pattern.
chavala likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by avi8tir
If my flight goes from non-polaris V1 to V2 with Polaris, what will my seat assignment end up being? I assume there is an exact method United uses.

If I am in 5A on non polaris, what seat will I get on the polaris plane? trying to avoid the angled seats!
Yes, there is an exact method, and it involves the Mersenne Twister.
Miggles likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
1K to 1L FRA-ORD
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:03 am

My experience on pmUA 772s has been (interim 3-class to Polaris)

1A to 1A (1A only available domestically, obv)
1C to 2A
2A to 3A
1H to 1D
2C to 3D (I think, my memory is foggy here)

Why 1C, an aisle, maps to 2A, a window, I don’t know. You’d think it would be 1C to 1D and 1H to 1G.

In all cases I’ve been on a solo PNR. I’ve been wondering if UA tries to put two person PNRs in ajoining seats, but have no experience to know.

Last edited by prometa; Mar 16, 2019 at 11:09 am
Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
On two 763 flights IAH-LIM and LIM-IAH:

1L to 1L
1B to 7D

(Thankfully the block on 1A was lifted right when the Polaris seatmap was loaded, so I was able to snag that.)
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
UA845 on 3/21 ORD-GRU

Just happened to look at me and MrsBrandinho1’s reservation for 3/21 and now show a Polaris seat map. We were in 8 A/B and were moved to 8 D/G I moved us to 3 D/G. Don’t think I have read anyone having this swap on this route. Looks to be a reconfigured bird as flight still shows 777-200. Looks like maybe the app hasn’t updated the seat map to the polarized one maybe due to having to move people’s seats on the equipment swap?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:16 am

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Brandinho1
Just happened to look at me and MrsBrandinho1’s reservation for 3/21 and now show a Polaris seat map. We were in 8 A/B and were moved to 8 D/G I moved us to 3 D/G. Don’t think I have read anyone having this swap on this route. Looks to be a reconfigured bird as flight still shows 777-200. Looks like maybe the app hasn’t updated the seat map to the polarized one maybe due to having to move people’s seats on the equipment swap?
Edit: Now shows as bookable in app search for this flight on 3/21 😃. It’s nice going from 2-4-2 to a Polarized plane.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Edit: Now shows as bookable in app search for this flight on 3/21 😃. It’s nice going from 2-4-2 to a Polarized plane.
Unless you are in Y and going from 3-3-3 to 3-4-3.
Brandinho1 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: MileagePlus 1k
I had that switch last year in september/october. So it happens occasionally.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 12:06 pm

We are traveling with a family of 4 (kids are 3 and 7 years old, so on the young side) on paid business class seats ORD to PEK that were booked in September. We had the old seat configuration so I had placed in the 4 seats across in the middle. We were just switched to the new configuration and they placed us in the same row but in a 1-2-1 configuration which doesn't really work with the kids (we really need two of the pods in the middle). All of the pods of two are taken and the supervisor claims they can't move seats for other people. She put a note in the file and said I need to discuss with the GA on Saturday. Is this true? I am pretty upset that I can't even be guaranteed seats with my kids on paid business class tickets booked 7 months ago! Thoughts on this?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by TravelingPeanut622
We are traveling with a family of 4 (kids are 3 and 7 years old, so on the young side) on paid business class seats ORD to PEK that were booked in September. We had the old seat configuration so I had placed in the 4 seats across in the middle. We were just switched to the new configuration and they placed us in the same row but in a 1-2-1 configuration which doesn't really work with the kids (we really need two of the pods in the middle). All of the pods of two are taken and the supervisor claims they can't move seats for other people. She put a note in the file and said I need to discuss with the GA on Saturday. Is this true? I am pretty upset that I can't even be guaranteed seats with my kids on paid business class tickets booked 7 months ago! Thoughts on this?
An option, though not optimal, would be to ask for a no-cost change to ORD-SFO-PEK or ORD-EWR-PEK*, if the seating configuration you want is available.

*A good FTer would love this for the extra miles. Having young kids, not so much, unless you are working them towards MM status!
Old Mar 21, 2019, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by wxguy
An option, though not optimal, would be to ask for a no-cost change to ORD-SFO-PEK or ORD-EWR-PEK*, if the seating configuration you want is available.

*A good FTer would love this for the extra miles. Having young kids, not so much, unless you are working them towards MM status!
Haha! It would be a good option if we didn't have the kids, but with the kids I think we will stick to direct. I am pretty sure it will workout, as I am sure there are plenty of people who would prefer the single window seats, but I don't understand why they can't move somebody when we were all shuffled around yesterday anyway!
Old May 8, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Operation Watchitlikeahawk is exhausting.

My wife and I booked tickets in March for a trip from ORD to PVG 45 days later.

This is how it went.

My seat, my wife's seat:

7H, 6H Selected by us at booking on a pmUA 772
6C Selected by me 2-3 weeks later
5G, 6G Assigned by UA at T-2 days on a Polarized 772
3A, 3L Selected by us at T-2 days at 5:40 AM
6A, 2A Assigned by UA at T-2 days at 9:00 AM when plane was swapped back to pmUA 772
6J Selected by me at T-2 days at 10:00 AM
2C Selected by me at check-in at T-24
2D, 2A Assigned by UA at 5:00 AM on day of departure when plane was swapped to a pmCO 772 (at 2:30 AM when we woke up it was still a pmUA 772)
4D, 3D Selected by us at 6:00 AM

I had 9 different seats........And at one point we both managed to get seats in the former First Class area........

Edited to correct my wife's final seat. It was 3D, not 3A as originally reported.

Last edited by StuckinITH; May 9, 2019 at 1:09 am Reason: Edited as so many seats got me confused and I'm jet lagged
Old May 8, 2019, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Wow, that's pretty impressive.

Meanwhile, I went out my way to find a 764 routing just to avoid this mess.
Old May 9, 2019, 3:42 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by findark
Wow, that's pretty impressive.

Meanwhile, I went out my way to find a 764 routing just to avoid this mess.
And we need to return home in 2 weeks on the pmUA 772.

The sad part is that we have another trip to PVG at the end of June on the pmUA 772. The saddest part is that it's in Economy. We now have the 2 seats together in the side bulkhead. With plane swaps like we experienced for this trip, we'll end up in an awful row and with a neighbor to boot (meaning in addition, not like we are going to boot the neighbor out).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.