Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Non-Polaris swap to/from Polaris seat re-assignment process?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non-Polaris swap to/from Polaris seat re-assignment process?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2018, 3:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
This was asked in another thread. I don't think there is any logic, or if there is, no one understands it!. I have been reassigned twice when switched to true Polaris. Both times I was originally in 1D. This first reassignment put me in 1L, the second time I was put in 3F.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ent-chart.html

Last edited by qfrodo; Nov 10, 2018 at 3:47 am Reason: add link to other thread
Old Nov 10, 2018, 4:37 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by athome
I am going to fly with a family of 3 on UA 767-300 in C class. Seatmap actually shows LieFlat ac configuration. Actually reserved seat 1D, 1L and 1K.
How are seats re-allocated in case of ac configuration change to Polaris?
You made me smile at your use of the word logic in the thread title, thank you!

In my experience it is either random or, perhaps, some new, secret, scatter methodology which UA IT folks have developed.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by uanj

In my experience it is either random or, perhaps, some new, secret, scatter methodology which UA IT folks have developed.
I thought they were still doing it by throwing darts.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 6:19 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
eeny - meeny - miny - mo
Old Nov 10, 2018, 1:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by uanj
I believe they utilize an extremely sophisticated algorithm which is designed to maximize passenger anger and inconvenience.
iluv2fly, In2ishn, dvs7310 and 5 others like this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
I believe they utilize an extremely sophisticated algorithm which is designed to maximize passenger anger and inconvenience.
Certainly been my experience, and last time it happened to me, it wasn't even a configuration change, just one 772 to an identical 772. You'd think in that situation they'd do a one to one mapping, but noooo, can't have that now can we. lol
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
I started a thread about this almost a year ago that must have gotten buried in 1000 plus pages of threads. I was hoping to have people report their swaps and try and build a wiki with a standard conversion chart out of it, if there was one. Unfortunately there is no standard.

While seat assignments aren't guaranteed, it would be nice if there was a standard conversion chart. This way I know if I select 1A on the old configuration, that it will convert to 2B on the Polaris version. If for some reason I really like 1A but can't stand 2B, I know my risks ahead of time. Also, the fact that you don't get placed back in your selected seat when your plane gets switched back to a standard bird is asinine and makes seat selection a useless process that only disappoints.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:13 am

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
At least from these examples it seems that the switches for the 763 keep the passengers close to their original seats. My one experience for the 772 was way more spread out in the cabins. Original seat in the 772 was 6J. Switched to a converted 772 put me in 11G. I switched myself to 3A. Switch back to a non converted 772 put me in 10A. Every seat was taken by that time. Then, at the airport, I requested switch to 10B and two hours later to 10C when those seats opened.
Not all seats are equal. Lol
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:50 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Great thread. I’m booked on 5D on the 2-Class LHR-ORD at the end of December. My logic is that odd row center gets switched to odd center and the better of the Polaris seats. But we’ll see. I’m checking the seat map daily.

On the outbound SFO-LHR on a 772 I have 1K (ex GF). While I’m now hoping that doesn’t get switched, if it does than I should get 1K again which will be fine.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 10:02 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller
Great thread. I’m booked on 5D on the 2-Class LHR-ORD at the end of December. My logic is that odd row center gets switched to odd center and the better of the Polaris seats. But we’ll see. I’m checking the seat map daily.

On the outbound SFO-LHR on a 772 I have 1K (ex GF). While I’m now hoping that doesn’t get switched, if it does than I should get 1K again which will be fine.
This is a true story: back in the days of the conversions to UA's lie flats in business I could only get last row middle seat on a nearly sold out flight. The agent was apologetic but told me to look on the bright side. This flight often had aircraft swaps at the last minute and there was no telling what seat I would be reassigned to but there was a good chance it would be better than what I had! Ahhh, the nostalgic days of the UA Business Seat Lottery.... There was just no telling what kind of business class seat you would get or what your assignment would be until you actually boarded.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 12:10 am

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller

Just to follow up on this with a real-lifer, had an old GF 1A on SFO-LHR three-class 772, and was switched to the 772 Polaris configuration. I kept 1A, my better half kept 2A, but my colleague in 1K was assigned to 6G on the new config, a very undesirable seat.

The 772 GF configuration goes A/C/H/K, and the 772 Polaris configuration goes A/D/G/L ... thus, the only "safe" old GS seats in the case of a switch seem to be the A seats, as there is a direct match on the new config. My experience with an EQP change like this is that the algorithm (if there even is one) goes for equivalent seat placement on old/new seatmap ... i.e. 1A > 1A, 2A > 2A. If it doesn't have a direct match, it just seems to slot you anywhere.

Anyone else experience this?
Old Nov 12, 2018, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by greenpau
The 772 GF configuration goes A/C/H/K, and the 772 Polaris configuration goes A/D/G/L ... thus, the only "safe" old GS seats in the case of a switch seem to be the A seats, as there is a direct match on the new config. My experience with an EQP change like this is that the algorithm (if there even is one) goes for equivalent seat placement on old/new seatmap ... i.e. 1A > 1A, 2A > 2A. If it doesn't have a direct match, it just seems to slot you anywhere.

Anyone else experience this?
Not for me. I was moved from 2A (777 GF) to 3A (777 Polaris) last week.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 5:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Does anyone remember the barco loungers? And when the best thing you could say about the pointy end was better service?
Old Nov 18, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
Not for me. I was moved from 2A (777 GF) to 3A (777 Polaris) last week.
I was moved from 2K (777 GF) to 2L (777 Polaris) last week.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
1K (Aisle, 763) to 1L (Window, 763 Polaris)
1L (Window, 763) to 1F (Center aisle, 763 Polaris)

One would think that that would be the other way around...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.