Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Preboarding/lounge access for Military in uniform

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Preboarding/lounge access for Military in uniform

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2018, 10:25 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
As I understand it, the pre-boarding is for uniformed military personnel, which I take to meaning traveling on orders. I saw several cases of military heading to or returning from deployment (Afghanistan/Iran) who had pre-boarding and were applauded onto the aircraft. While there aren’t so many of those these days and the term may have become sort of redundant, imagine the outcry if UA or any airline rescinded the benefit.

Btw, in a few cases (very few) I’ve seen the captain go back into Economy and invite and accompany a uniformed military to an open seat in J or F on TATL. The flight attendants asked us (when seated in F) if we had any objection. On deplaning at LHR all four of us regular F pax (763) thanked him for his service. This guy was very young.

I do wonder if the benefit extends to overseas uniformed military who happen to be flying UA (say Canadian or British).
Old Sep 5, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller
Btw, in a few cases (very few) I’ve seen the captain go back into Economy and invite and accompany a uniformed military to an open seat in J or F on TATL. The flight attendants asked us (when seated in F) if we had any objection. On deplaning at LHR all four of us regular F pax (763) thanked him for his service. This guy was very young.
That's fine as long as nobody was bumped off the UG list for his seat -- otherwise, not cool.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller
As I understand it, the pre-boarding is for uniformed military personnel, which I take to meaning traveling on orders. I saw several cases of military heading to or returning from deployment (Afghanistan/Iran) who had pre-boarding and were applauded onto the aircraft. While there aren’t so many of those these days and the term may have become sort of redundant, imagine the outcry if UA or any airline rescinded the benefit.

I do wonder if the benefit extends to overseas uniformed military who happen to be flying UA (say Canadian or British).
It's a long time since I was in the British Army but travelling in uniform was strictly prohibited, even on duty ( other than to and from work on a daily basis if you lived off base). In those days it was due to the IRA but don't know if it the prohibition is still the case.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by COSPILOT

you are mistaking you as a private citizen vs govt employee. If I as a friend buy you dinner, it’s fine, if I as a Contractor do so that is different.

With UA showing some appreciation without monetary value or expectations I do t see the conflict.
not quite correct. If you're an actual friend, yes you can give me a gift. If you as a private citizen, individual or corporate -- even with no direct financial or contractor-type interest -- give it for me because I'm a fed, then absolutely not (if it's over $20). The actual criterion, from the Office of Government Ethics is "a gift motivated solely by a family relationship or personal friendship;"
Old Sep 5, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: DL-Polished Aluminum, Air Mobility Command-Chartreuse
Given the optics, it might be better (and more efficient) for airlines to validate military members prior to the boarding moment and adjust their boarding group to somewhere behind the Platitude/Goldfinger/SilverSurfer section but before the general masses. This would provide a benefit (virtually guaranteed space for a bag overhead) and not penalize the Road Warriors who are significant customers of the industry and don't always/exactly have easy lives.. no matter how comfy that seat up front is, traveling sucks after a while. Also, this spreads the benefit those of us who hardly ever travel in uniform (one, it's awkward when I'm thanked for... flying to San Antonio for 3 days of death by PowerPoint; two, I'd rather be the last guy a bad hombre suspects of having Ninja-like CQB skills-- it's worked so far). The (in my opinion) grandiose announcement is more for show than substance given that the vast, vast majority of military personnel are strongly encouraged- or directed- to fly in civilian clothes and blend in with everyone else. (For one group I was affiliated with this was became quite a spectacle- our intel cell would shop the destination for concerts/conferences/etc and include in the mission brief. Ever see a random bunch of military age males pile off a plane dressed in matching Taylor Swift concert Ts? Coulda been us).

Really appreciate us?->let us CAC into the United Club; we're less than 1% of the population, can't believe we'd displace all the Road Warriors. Allow us to select exit row- you can believe we'll maintain SA, follow instructions, and help others egress.

Having said that, we support and defend a constitution that facilitates a free-market commerce system; United is free to do what it wants while answering to customers and shareholders. I do agree, though, that a wee bit less of the Orwellian speak would be better all around.

If I had a one wish though, and it's entirely off topic, it would be for airlines to put even half the thought and energy into emptying the plane as they put on loading it. "Oh! I'm so surprised! Everyone in front of me has gotten off the plane, maybe I should stand up and look for my bag. Nope, not in that bin. ...is it in this bin? Nope! ...is it in this one?..."
drewguy and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL-Polished Aluminum, Air Mobility Command-Chartreuse
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Blue falcons. Not a term I have ever heard used.
Blue= Buddy
Falcon= F_ _ ker

Noun. One who inflicts negative secondary results upon a team member, colleague, peer, or compatriot as a result of their individual, often self-gratifying, actions.

"Sergeant Smith is such a Blue Falcon; he was taking 20 minute showers, and now the First Sergeant said we can only take 5 minute showers every other day."
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:55 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by Jane42
I have only heard with uniform except for the last flight I took, in which I didn't hear that military were being offered to board early.

My son and his wife are both military. My son was told never to travel in uniform, and he told me he would be embarassed of special treatment anyway, so would not show anyone his ID except when needed for the extra luggage he would need to take.
My last SFO-NRT flight they allowed preboarding of military personnel but they took anyone with a CAC - the problem with that is all of a sudden 30-40 people were preboarding, with a huge majority of them being DoD contractors (green stripe on card) and I don't think the folks at the counter knew the difference. Kind of ruins it for the actual active duty folks.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 3:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by eng3
Exactly, why reward people for voluntarily choosing a profession? Yes, that profession has an impact on all of us, but there are many other professions who have an equal or higher impact on all of us.

I say do away with pre-boarding for military. If UA wants to make a gesture to the military (or other professions), offer premier access to military people for free or at a discount. If UA wants to give them club access, then offer the a club membership. Going back to the original topic, doing this would allow them to stay under the radar and now have to wear their uniform.
I am retired military, and agree with the above. When I was Active Duty, I would have much preferred a discount UC club membership over preboarding.

I understand the urge to do nice things for people in uniform, but something more tangible would be much more appreciated. And it would help unsnarl UA’s messed up boarding process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.