Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Preboarding/lounge access for Military in uniform

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Preboarding/lounge access for Military in uniform

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by trk1
Not sure why the Military should get any special airline treatment. This is really silly when departing from a foreign city and
the other nations military are not given special treatment. We have become too much of a part of the military industrial complex.
Why not give special boarding to teachers for example??? You see the point is that there are many ways to be a good American.
American airlines show appreciation for American military. Foreign airlines can show appreciation for their country's military if they so choose.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1928632-preboarding-loung

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I am not military, but greatly appreciate that UA recognizes these young people in uniform. When I am on flights with these young recruits (as it is the young recruits in uniform) I trade my seat for theirs to thank them for their service. They are going to be risking their lives for our safety. Now if there were 53 of them that would make it slightly problematic. If for some reason I am not in F then I will ask the FA to give them my free meal that I get as a 1K member - again 53 would not be enough free meals from me, but I would probably get out my CC at that time. These young folks do not make a ton of money. BTW - this is all anonymous so the new recruit(s) have no idea it is me but will know there are people who appreciate their service.

I am glad that United has the policy of military in uniform getting to pre-board and would be really disappointed to see it go away. Not sure how it hurts anyone else getting on the plane.

For the ideas of using more GPUs for upgrades, that is a slippery slope I would hate to see.

I would like to see the co-pay reduced/eliminated for using miles for upgrades - or have the co-pay count towards to PQD.
I appreciate military service as much as the next guy, but you seriously would buy 53 meals?!
Old Sep 3, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by MaximusDamon
...an occasional respectful pre-boarding when there's a group of military in uniform going out on deployment or returning from one, would be nice to see as a special gesture. But as an institutionalized pre-boarding for every flight, it loses it's "specialness", becomes expected, and is not necessary.
Then you wlll have people complaining that it is not the correct boarding procedure and write in and complain. I have had enough people complain to the GA when I ask to swap my seat with the uniform military person (they are generally hovering at the desk and announce they are next on the UG list and want the seat).

Although frequent travellers may think the pre-boarding is not unique for most of these fine men and women it is an unusual gesture as they are not regular flyers, well not the young folks in uniform when going to boot camp or to their assigned station.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by KoKoBuddy
American airlines show appreciation for American military. Foreign airlines can show appreciation for their country's military if they so choose.
+1

Also a number of other countries have enforced service in the military. The USA has a voluntary enrollment in the military. Significant difference in my mind.
msp2anywhere likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 10:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Jane42
I have seen this sentiment before on airline forums and I am not sure why it is difficult to understand?
Because not everyone glorifies the military. All the risks and consequences you describe are the direct result of the person's choice of vocation. There are plenty of jobs with equivalent risks. Many still find it odd that an airline would express their preference for people who choose specific jobs over others.

The USA has a voluntary enrollment in the military. Significant difference in my mind.
Absolutely. I could actually see rewarding mandatory service, but why reward people for choosing a specific job?
Old Sep 3, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Exactly, why reward people for voluntarily choosing a profession? Yes, that profession has an impact on all of us, but there are many other professions who have an equal or higher impact on all of us.

I say do away with pre-boarding for military. If UA wants to make a gesture to the military (or other professions), offer premier access to military people for free or at a discount. If UA wants to give them club access, then offer the a club membership. Going back to the original topic, doing this would allow them to stay under the radar and now have to wear their uniform.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 2:11 pm

Wow!

Well let me just go back into my safe little cocoon and only worry about me and my needs.

Hope United to continues to honour these brave young men and women. It enables me to do the same while there is such a distinction in the boarding process.

To answer to the person who asked if I would really pull out my CC for 53 young service people yes I would, and I also spend similar sums on other charitable organizations (irrespective of whether there is a tax deduction). We can make a difference in this world to those who have less than us, as once we go we take nothing with us but leave lasting memories for others. My 1K status and place in a boarding line and access to a United Club will mean nothing when I am dead, but hey let's ensure we get all we can in this life and let's not worry about anyone else.
Dublin_rfk likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 3, 2018 at 2:13 pm Reason: omni content removed
Old Sep 3, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by eng3

I say do away with pre-boarding for military. If UA wants to make a gesture to the military (or other professions), offer premier access to military people for free or at a discount. If UA wants to give them club access, then offer the a club membership.
Isn't that redundant in airports that have a USO club already?
Old Sep 3, 2018, 2:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This subject of benefits on UA for those in USA military service comes up from time to time. There are a number different levels it can be discussed. However some of those levels are clearly OMNI and are best handled elsewhere.

So to continue a thread in the UA forum, we need to stay away from the OMNI areas. As this is the UA forum, it is what UA does or does not do and how that impacts our travel experiences on UA.

Thank you

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Sep 3, 2018, 5:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by therossinator
My point isn't that service members shouldn't be distinguished, it's that different services have different uniform requirements and many are not permitted to wear their uniforms in the airport, so this policy of allowing uniformed military to board early is superficial when most can't or are told not to. ...
I believe you're over-thinking this. The "in uniform" part was probably implemented as a means of accommodating military members while not needing to check IDs. It's unlikely that airlines want their GAs to have to police this by checking the military IDs of people in civilian clothes.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ryman554
I might be missing something,but I've notices a distinct lack of "active duty in uniform" announcements recently (say over hte past couple of months), over "active duty military". Am I imaging it, or have they done away with the uniform requirement?
I haven't noticed any specific trends recently but have always found that occasionally a gate agent may choose to drop the uniform requirement from their script.
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
This seems kind of OMNI-ish, but for years I have heard "active military" with no reference to uniform on United. This is flying out of places like DC where the military density is high.

The issue with utility uniforms and getting gas is separate. There are travel uniforms, and there are not. When I was in, just after John Paul Jones got out, we were always encouraged to travel in service dress blues. Times change.
I live in a huge military town and I am retired military

In CHS it is rare that the GA says "In Uniform" I know because I know most of the gate agents and they like to let all active duty board early. That is great and I don't mind, but it really does a dis-service because they don't understand why it isn't the same at other airports.

Ultimately, boarding early means little, but does guarantee they get overhead space. Small sacrifice considering what these young men and women provide for us everyday.

Originally Posted by joe_miami
I believe you're over-thinking this. The "in uniform" part was probably implemented as a means of accommodating military members while not needing to check IDs. It's unlikely that airlines want their GAs to have to police this by checking the military IDs of people in civilian clothes.

Combined with almost every single government worker has a CAC card now, so spoofing military is extremely easy if the GA doesn't know what to check for.

Wow!

Well let me just go back into my safe little cocoon and only worry about me and my needs.

Hope United to continues to honour these brave young men and women. It enables me to do the same while there is such a distinction in the boarding process.

To answer to the person who asked if I would really pull out my CC for 53 young service people yes I would, and I also spend similar sums on other charitable organizations (irrespective of whether there is a tax deduction). We can make a difference in this world to those who have less than us, as once we go we take nothing with us but leave lasting memories for others. My 1K status and place in a boarding line and access to a United Club will mean nothing when I am dead, but hey let's ensure we get all we can in this life and let's not worry about anyone else.

Be careful if you fly ORD-CHS on a Sat - you will have 50-100 a week. Sometimes they take WN, but rarely take AA but AA just started ORD-CHS direct, so they may in the future.
The worst part is they get to the airport at around 6am and the flights may not leave until late morning or even afternoon.
Aussienarelle likes this.

Last edited by Hipplewm; Sep 3, 2018 at 8:17 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 3, 2018, 9:41 pm

Thank you for your service Hipplewm. If we are ever on the same United flight I would love to buy you a drink. I do not get to your home airport so unlikely to see so many of our fine young men and women at once.

Glad the GAs know what they are looking for on the ID cards.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How about our police, firefighters, teachers, healthcare workers (particularly those in ERs in some hospitals serving some fairly rough areas), how about volunteers who serve in war-torn areas...the list can go on and many of these patriots go unnoticed.
Agreed.

Pre-Boarding, and boarding generally for that matter, has become a bit of a joke/zoo these days. There are now several categories of pre-boarding on United including wheelchairs, crutches, (don't get me started on miracle flights) etc, then military, then Global Services (am I missing anyone), the list seems to go on and on.
I often muse about when a uniformed member of the military with a disability that requires "a little extra time to get down the jetway" who is traveling with children under the age of two and also happens to have GS status should board the plane.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Gov't Travel Aficionado, UA Plat
Originally Posted by joe_miami
You've gotta be a real piece of work to claim to be a service member when you're not, just google "stolen valor". Plus there is definitely a look to people in the military. No 300lb dude with long hair and a beard should be approaching the gate when the GA calls for military to board.

Originally Posted by kale73
Agreed.

I often muse about when a uniformed member of the military with a disability that requires "a little extra time to get down the jetway" who is traveling with children under the age of two and also happens to have GS status should board the plane.
Reminds me of the Key and Peele skit. We now invite "any old religious people with military babies"
msp2anywhere likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:06 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
You've gotta be a real piece of work to claim to be a service member when you're not, just google "stolen valor". Plus there is definitely a look to people in the military. No 300lb dude with long hair and a beard should be approaching the gate when the GA calls for military to board.
The last thing any company wants these days is for its frontline staff to be making judgments based on a person's "look."
wrp96 and chavala like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.