Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2018 Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The value of Platinum status over Gold status is generally a "YMMV" situation. Different people will value different benefits in different ways. Here are the most commonly cited differences that people mention:
  • Boarding in Group 1 instead of Group 2 [until September 18, 2018, after which Gold and Platinum both Group 1]
  • 2 RPUs (none for Gold)
  • Improved chances at CPUs through higher priority
  • 8 companions in E+ on same itinerary vs. 1 companion
  • 3x 70 lb. bags on UA instead of 2x, although plats and golds have exact same additional bag allowance provided to *G on other Star Alliance carriers
  • Greater RDM earning rate (9x instead of 8x base fare)
  • Free award reservation changes, cancellations, miles redeposits if 61 days or more before departure, otherwise $50
  • Somewhat improved premium cabin award space availability
  • Presidential Circle status with Hertz

Plat is the highest level still eligible for Chase MP-branded credit card spend waiver of PQD requirements.

A list of differences is available here: Premier benefits chart

Related threads
[Consolidated"I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"

UA/Star Alliance: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Previous thread(s)
Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2017 Consolidated]

Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2016 Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2018 Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2018, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Originally Posted by wco81
Sorry PQMs.

OK so no real incentive for lifetime Golds to get higher status levels, unless they really want those RPUs and GPUs.

I'm a long ways from lifetime Gold and may not bother if they keep devaluing.
As I have said earlier I enjoy using some strategies to make platinum that include judicious use of P (and Z) fares as well as some MRs that are more than just MRs. I get no grief from my wife since she gets the same status (no certs, though) through my MM status and often flies with me.
As an aside, my MM status is more valuable to me now than it was when I achieved it with pmCO.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 12:29 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
They are supposed to. But from time to time something goes wrong. Most complaints of things going wrong come from the Senator Lounges in FRA and MUC.
Flew through MUC and FRA in the last 10 days. It was no problem providing the digital card. Not sure it was even needed to access the Senator lounge at the Z gates as a *G in business. The agent just waved me through.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:00 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Actually for 1K I place more value on the intangibles: award change fee waivers, pre-boarding, free food/bev and CPUs. While the RPUs and GPUs theoretically have a higher $$$ value, they are so hit or miss that they don't provide much incentive.

But you're right - nobody with lifetime status is going to spend $$$$ on mileage runs to chase Plat or 1K. Not that AA or DL provide any better incentives...
You pretty much made me decide to pass this year and land to Gold (1MM) next year. I'm 13K miles away from Platinum. I agree that it doesn't make sense for a 1MMer to spend $$$$ (in my case, likely $700-$1000 of my own money) to reach Platinum.

Regarding drink chits, is it still true that the FAs don't look at Exp dates? I have tons of drink chits from previous years. I hardly ever needed them as I was mostly flew transpac.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 6:01 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by naumank
You pretty much made me decide to pass this year and land to Gold (1MM) next year. I'm 13K miles away from Platinum. I agree that it doesn't make sense for a 1MMer to spend $$$$ (in my case, likely $700-$1000 of my own money) to reach Platinum.

Regarding drink chits, is it still true that the FAs don't look at Exp dates? I have tons of drink chits from previous years. I hardly ever needed them as I was mostly flew transpac.
Perhaps I'm an outlier here but for $700 for platinum over Gold I would've went for it. Like I said before, I get a fairly good clip of upgrades (CPU) when I least expect it. It also depends on the airport you're flying out of and what domestic routes you fly.. For me, I'm lifetime gold and keep on running every year to plat (With the credit card waiver) thanks, one less person to compete for upgrades I guess :-)
8MiHi likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 8:00 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold

Have not had any problems (after "one on us," soon to go away for me) this year. BTW, you need them on TPAC unless you are OK with beer and wine only.

Originally Posted by Flying Machine

Perhaps I'm an outlier here but for $700 for platinum over Gold I would've went for it. Like I said before, I get a fairly good clip of upgrades (CPU) when I least expect it. It also depends on the airport you're flying out of and what domestic routes you fly.. For me, I'm lifetime gold and keep on running every year to plat (With the credit card waiver) thanks, one less person to compete for upgrades I guess :-)
Yes, I believe you are the outlier

Got Plat a couple of years ago, didn't do much in way of u/g on my way to 1K which I achieved on December 31. Still up in the air if it was worth it, as I did very little flying on UA this year, and got next to no u/g as 1K.

Content to fall back to Gold on February 1, and don't ever expect to qualify for higher status (of course I also stated that two years ago )
Old Nov 11, 2018, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
So i was reminded by another Plat that one of the biggest benefits is that we share expanded saver award inventory with 1Ks. If this is true then it is a huge perk as I always run an award search before I log in and normally find very little inventory. 1Ks definitely have an advantage.

I keep using the old ones and nobody ever says anything. Ditto for WN
Old Nov 11, 2018, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So i was reminded by another Plat that one of the biggest benefits is that we share expanded saver award inventory with 1Ks. If this is true then it is a huge perk as I always run an award search before I log in and normally find very little inventory. 1Ks definitely have an advantage.
The only expanded inventory for Plat/1K over Silver/Gold is for business class Saver awards (IN class vs. I class). In practice, it’s pretty rare for IN > 0 when I = 0. The expanded economy Saver award availability is open to all Premier members, as well as United-branded Chase credit card holders.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 8:49 pm

At $700 I would have bit. I could've reached 75K PQM, but I'm only at $4.5k PQD. I started booking other airlines once I decided to not go for it. Bummer partner tickets don't count like they should, I would have been a lot closer. Gold seems to work ok with paid premium cabin mixed in.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
So down to the wire here - for $400+ I booked a long one-day MR for the extra 5.5k EQN needed for Plat - but I'm still within the cancellation window and very much on the fence. Already CPU'd on one-segment so that doesn't hurt and may use an expiring GPU on another. I suppose the cost is justified by the 2 RPUs plus 15k bonus RDM (on this year's spend, which will likely be higher in 2019). The lower change fee may also save some $$ on last minute changes to award tix.

Plus - pure speculation - but would not be surprised to see some sort of deval of Gold - most likely on the E+ front as UA will want to monetize E+ as much as possible as was done with F. But who knows ...
Old Dec 25, 2018, 8:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Plus - pure speculation - but would not be surprised to see some sort of deval of Gold - most likely on the E+ front as UA will want to monetize E+ as much as possible as was done with F. But who knows ...
It would be brutal for United to do that without any warning. As it is, I've found it very hard to make the Gold PQD, even with buying some seats upfront. Hell, I was past the Gold PQM before I hit the Silver PQD.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 10:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
For 2019? Not going to happen. Program changes have already been announced.
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by anc-ord772
At $700 I would have bit. I could've reached 75K PQM, but I'm only at $4.5k PQD. I started booking other airlines once I decided to not go for it. Bummer partner tickets don't count like they should, I would have been a lot closer. Gold seems to work ok with paid premium cabin mixed in.
As a follow up I noticed that after deciding I wasn't going to make Platinum I just started booking all flights in paid F on DL. I like DL as well and wasn't getting much out of incremental business with UA. I'm sure this is not what UA had in mind, but I'm one data point of like 300 million trillion, so they don't care.

My year comes to a close with nearly 70k PQM and nowhere near the needed PQD. I only miss the plat fee waivers, otherwise I can't see the incentive with the Plat PQD so high.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by anc-ord772
... My year comes to a close with nearly 70k PQM and nowhere near the needed PQD. ...
Same here. If the only way to qualify for status is to pay for seats upfront a big percentage of the time,* then what's the point of having status? The average person in this situation would pay less just biting the bullet and paying fees, E+, etc., when necessary.

(* I actually did pay for seats upfront quite a few times this year, but I'm still nowhere near the PQD.)
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by joe_miami
Same here. If the only way to qualify for status is to pay for seats upfront a big percentage of the time,* then what's the point of having status? The average person in this situation would pay less just biting the bullet and paying fees, E+, etc., when necessary.
High spending business travelers get the elite benefits for their paid out of pocket personal travel. This is particularly valuable for customers who make GS on corporate spend.

But agreed the status perks are much less meaningful if you're buying paid premium cabin.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kacee
High spending business travelers get the elite benefits for their paid out of pocket personal travel. This is particularly valuable for customers who make GS on corporate spend.
This is clearly exactly whom United is targeting; even more so now with next year's PQD increase. I'm thinking about going free agent next year and just buying upfront on flights longer than ~3 hours. United's qualifications are simply out of whack for people like me who mostly travel short- and medium-haul international, even with a lot of P fares mixed in.
Aussienarelle likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.