Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2018 Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The value of Platinum status over Gold status is generally a "YMMV" situation. Different people will value different benefits in different ways. Here are the most commonly cited differences that people mention:
  • Boarding in Group 1 instead of Group 2 [until September 18, 2018, after which Gold and Platinum both Group 1]
  • 2 RPUs (none for Gold)
  • Improved chances at CPUs through higher priority
  • 8 companions in E+ on same itinerary vs. 1 companion
  • 3x 70 lb. bags on UA instead of 2x, although plats and golds have exact same additional bag allowance provided to *G on other Star Alliance carriers
  • Greater RDM earning rate (9x instead of 8x base fare)
  • Free award reservation changes, cancellations, miles redeposits if 61 days or more before departure, otherwise $50
  • Somewhat improved premium cabin award space availability
  • Presidential Circle status with Hertz

Plat is the highest level still eligible for Chase MP-branded credit card spend waiver of PQD requirements.

A list of differences is available here: Premier benefits chart

Related threads
[Consolidated"I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"

UA/Star Alliance: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Previous thread(s)
Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2017 Consolidated]

Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2016 Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2018 Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2018, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
I believe you also get a physical Premier Platinum card while Premier Gold only gets a digital card. I guess we can assign such a thing $1 in value?
​​​​​​
Lounge dragons often think it's a card for Silver.

You also get drink vouchers.

I am at around 120K in PQM and $8K in PQD. Not even bothering the last $1K.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CMK10
I believe you also get a physical Premier Platinum card while Premier Gold only gets a digital card. I guess we can assign such a thing $1 in value?
I missed this part as the last time I was gold was in 2014. Does this mean all Star lounges now accept digital cards, even in EU?
Old Nov 4, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I just think there's an intrinsic value of being platinum over gold.. i'm lifetime gold through my million miler status but I make platinum every year, could actually make 1K (Mileage wise) but I never chase the spend.. I use the alert services and find great fares to places that I want to go
8MiHi likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by naumank
I missed this part as the last time I was gold was in 2014. Does this mean all Star lounges now accept digital cards, even in EU?
They are supposed to. But from time to time something goes wrong. Most complaints of things going wrong come from the Senator Lounges in FRA and MUC.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
I just think there's an intrinsic value of being platinum over gold.. i'm lifetime gold through my million miler status but I make platinum every year, could actually make 1K (Mileage wise) but I never chase the spend.. I use the alert services and find great fares to places that I want to go
I guess the key question here is if it is worth mileage runs to achieve platinum over gold. This is where the calculations come in. I supposed to different people the value is different.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Over the last year I have not been asked for my card at *A lounges, only my boarding pass. My sample space is small, though. In MNL and BCN the check-in agent wrote on my BP that I was allowed entrance.
As systems connect there will be no excuse for the digital card not being accepted.

Getting back to the topic, I have had RPUs and CPUs work from time to time and I have been in a position to offer to put friends and relatives on my PNR to get them in E+ when we are off to the same destination (its only happened once). I have not needed the reduced fees or the extra 70 pound bag so far.

With the changes made to P fares and 1K boarding it makes me likely to seek Platinum more rationally as Gold now provides pretty much all of the same flight experience. I did seek out cheap P fares and an MR or two over the last few years to make Platinum. I may be less likely to do that now.

Still, the handful of RPU and CPU upgrades that actually happened are pleasant memories and may continue to entice me to take steps to maintain Platinum over Gold.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 8:37 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Sure, there's value in Plat over Gold, but not that much IMHO.

I guess the key question here is if it is worth mileage runs to achieve platinum over gold. This is where the calculations come in. I supposed to different people the value is different.
I suspect that mileage spend and not mileage run would be a factor for most. Having to spend cold hard cash plus do MRs ..... hm, IMHO, after the devaluation of Plat one would have to be very close to Plat status to make it worthwhile. Flew other airlines this year, so will fall back to my lifetime Gold next year, though I was able to use a couple of GPUs this year and gifted another two. Now sitting on two GPUs and four RPUs with possibly one more trip this year.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Sure, there's value in Plat over Gold, but not that much IMHO.

I suspect that mileage spend and not mileage run would be a factor for most. Having to spend cold hard cash plus do MRs ..... hm, IMHO, after the devaluation of Plat one would have to be very close to Plat status to make it worthwhile. Flew other airlines this year, so will fall back to my lifetime Gold next year, though I was able to use a couple of GPUs this year and gifted another two. Now sitting on two GPUs and four RPUs with possibly one more trip this year.
How important are the award spaces in premium cabins that are only available to Platinum and above? Does this only apply to UA flights? This would be the only thing that may matter to me in light of all the Platinum benefits over Gold.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How important are the award spaces in premium cabins that are only available to Platinum and above? Does this only apply to UA flights? This would be the only thing that may matter to me in light of all the Platinum benefits over Gold.
Yes, UA flights only, and even then it’s fairly rare. You can get an idea by looking for IN > 0, I = 0 in Expert Mode. Those would be flights that a Plat/1K could book but a Gold could not.
bakster21 likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by jsloan

Yes, UA flights only, and even then it’s fairly rare. You can get an idea by looking for IN > 0, I = 0 in Expert Mode. Those would be flights that a Plat/1K could book but a Gold could not.
Yup, UA / UAX metal only, and IME not much improvement for Plat.

Gold and 1K are the sweet spot these days - hence why you can't get a CC waiver for 1K @:-)

And while I've done more non UA than UA flying this year, must say except "have one on us" was rather underwhelmed with my 1K experence. Oh, the new pre-boarding for GS and 1K is nice, but again, just shows the big gap between Plat and 1K.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
If you're lifetime Gold, do you have to just get the MQMs and MQDs above Gold to qualify for those higher tiers or do you have to get 100k MQM and 15k MQD for instance to get 1K?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
If you're lifetime Gold, do you have to just get the MQMs and MQDs above Gold to qualify for those higher tiers or do you have to get 100k MQM and 15k MQD for instance to get 1K?
I believe MQMs are DL, but to answer the question for UA, to get anything higher than Gold you have to meet ALL qualifications that Plat and 1K require of other flyers. No breaks for us MMers.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by EmailKid
I believe MQMs are DL, but to answer the question for UA, to get anything higher than Gold you have to meet ALL qualifications that Plat and 1K require of other flyers. No breaks for us MMers.
Sorry PQMs.

OK so no real incentive for lifetime Golds to get higher status levels, unless they really want those RPUs and GPUs.

I'm a long ways from lifetime Gold and may not bother if they keep devaluing.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by wco81
Sorry PQMs.
OK so no real incentive for lifetime Golds to get higher status levels, unless they really want those RPUs and GPUs.
I'm a long ways from lifetime Gold and may not bother if they keep devaluing.
Actually for 1K I place more value on the intangibles: award change fee waivers, pre-boarding, free food/bev and CPUs. While the RPUs and GPUs theoretically have a higher $$$ value, they are so hit or miss that they don't provide much incentive.

But you're right - nobody with lifetime status is going to spend $$$$ on mileage runs to chase Plat or 1K. Not that AA or DL provide any better incentives...
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo
But you're right - nobody with lifetime status is going to spend $$$$ on mileage runs to chase Plat or 1K. Not that AA or DL provide any better incentives...
I'm sure a lot of Lifetimers would spend much more money with UA if their Lifetime status level was a floor for reaching the next higher level rather than having to effectively start as General Member each year for higher status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.