Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2018 Consolidated]

Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The value of Platinum status over Gold status is generally a "YMMV" situation. Different people will value different benefits in different ways. Here are the most commonly cited differences that people mention:
  • Boarding in Group 1 instead of Group 2 [until September 18, 2018, after which Gold and Platinum both Group 1]
  • 2 RPUs (none for Gold)
  • Improved chances at CPUs through higher priority
  • 8 companions in E+ on same itinerary vs. 1 companion
  • 3x 70 lb. bags on UA instead of 2x, although plats and golds have exact same additional bag allowance provided to *G on other Star Alliance carriers
  • Greater RDM earning rate (9x instead of 8x base fare)
  • Free award reservation changes, cancellations, miles redeposits if 61 days or more before departure, otherwise $50
  • Somewhat improved premium cabin award space availability
  • Presidential Circle status with Hertz

Plat is the highest level still eligible for Chase MP-branded credit card spend waiver of PQD requirements.

A list of differences is available here: Premier benefits chart

Related threads
[Consolidated"I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"

UA/Star Alliance: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Previous thread(s)
Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2017 Consolidated]

Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2016 Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by 8MiHi
...When I retire and count on MM status for Gold the boarding will remain the same. This reduces the likelihood of a positive response to the bigger question of whether I should stretch for 2MM.
Is there some small print that says Gold boarding will be the same when you retire? Still - good to see an optimist
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
The 2 RPUs are really the main differentiator now, and they usually only clear on flights I would have CPUed anyway. I'm going to end the year with about ~97k PQM and ~6.7k PQD+cc waiver, so I'm not exactly stretching for Plat, but there's a good chance this affects my travel next year. Oakland is a much more convenient airport for me than SFO, and my upgrade % on AS is 90+ so that's a good option
It might also be worth looking into other *A airlines to credit flights to after hitting 50k. Anyone have any favorites?
higher_flyer likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by zymm
The 2 RPUs are really the main differentiator now, and they usually only clear on flights I would have CPUed anyway. I'm going to end the year with about ~97k PQM and ~6.7k PQD+cc waiver, so I'm not exactly stretching for Plat, but there's a good chance this affects my travel next year. Oakland is a much more convenient airport for me than SFO, and my upgrade % on AS is 90+ so that's a good option
It might also be worth looking into other *A airlines to credit flights to after hitting 50k. Anyone have any favorites?
I'm based at SFO so I haven't been able to use any of the RPUs anyway. (Many times I was in the middle of the waitlist even after I applied a RPU on a domestic flight.) I had much better success using GPUs on international flights when I was 1K before 2018.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Is there some small print that says Gold boarding will be the same when you retire? Still - good to see an optimist
I have little doubt that Gold and Platinum will board together ahead of the explorer cards for many years into the future. I also think its right that 1K board earlier and that in most locations this new process will work well. The hubs may generate some issues for a bit. For those of us in BG1 I consider this step back small stuff.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by 8MiHi
I have little doubt that Gold and Platinum will board together ahead of the explorer cards for many years into the future. I also think its right that 1K board earlier and that in most locations this new process will work well. The hubs may generate some issues for a bit. For those of us in BG1 I consider this step back small stuff.
Yeah, I'll still be boarding at the back of BG1 most of the time as a 1K. Balances dislike of sitting on a plane that isn't moving and being able to sip a PDB w/o being rushed. Addition of Golds helps that balance.
8MiHi likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:17 am

Gold to Platinum Status?

hello, I’ll be flying frequently next year but Ill be a few legs shy from making platinum next year. Is it worth it to spend an extra $500 and my time to do a few mileage runs?
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Given the relative difficulty of clearing RPUs and the recent boarding group rearrangement, my feeling is not worth time or money.

Thread:
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
For $500, I'd go for it. The mileage earning delta is slight, but I've had lots of success clearing RPUs and even CPUs recently as a DEN-based plat.
8MiHi likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
It really depends on whether the $500 will also include a fun trip. New York between Thanksgiving and New Years is always a delight if it would get you there; Vegas is also lovely outside the hot months. If it is a lap you would not enjoy (say EWR-HNL-EWR in a domestically-equipped 777) not worth the effort.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
For $500 I'd do it. I was CPU'd a fair amount two years ago when I was Platinum, more often than not.

Used my two RPU's for EWR-LAX p.s. service, found R availability on Saturdays, and was upgraded instantly.

- Tom
8MiHi likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA MP
If you're only $500 away from plat, I'd for sure go for it. Higher CPU, RPUs, of course.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by ttb217
hello, I’ll be flying frequently next year but Ill be a few legs shy from making platinum next year. Is it worth it to spend an extra $500 and my time to do a few mileage runs?
What's your home airport, and where are you flying? Your upgrade chances depend heavily on what flights. For example, for all intents and purposes, upgrade chances for a Gold vs Platinum SFO-other UA hub are no different from each other, whether you're using an RPU or relying on CPU.

Edit: you can't be CPU'ed if you are using an RPU, so fixed my sentence.

Last edited by prometa; Sep 25, 2018 at 10:06 am
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fumje
Given the relative difficulty of clearing RPUs and the recent boarding group rearrangement, my feeling is not worth time or money.
Totally agree. If you want to burn an extra $500, spend it on buy-ups to F. Better return than you'll get from Plat.

Originally Posted by prometa
for all intents and purposes, CPU chances for a Gold vs Platinum SFO-other UA hub are no different from each other, whether you're using an RPU or not
I think that's basically true SFO to anywhere. On a leisure route, a Gold or Plat may clear. But on most routes, both will be in the teens or lower on the waitlist.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Totally agree. If you want to burn an extra $500, spend it on buy-ups to F. Better return than you'll get from Plat.

I think that's basically true SFO to anywhere. On a leisure route, a Gold or Plat may clear. But on most routes, both will be in the teens or lower on the waitlist.
You're probably right. My experience has been that either only 1-3 on a very long waitlist clear (so presumably GS or 1K), or pretty much everyone on the waitlist clears down to NRSA. (Though it's been a lot harder to tell since UA is no longer showing how many pre-checkin upgrades cleared. I wonder what percentage of flights only make it through Plats or Golds on the list.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I'm a 1K and with a new job will be dropping to Gold next year. I have the PQMs for 1K, but only the spend for Gold. I could have hit Platinum or maybe 1K spend but I decided to fly more SQ for the better service and comfort. I think the thing I'll miss most is the waived fees on award bookings. Platinum has less fees, but not as good as 1K. Rather than spending 1,000+ to meet the next level, I bought Avianca lifemiles on one of their sales and booked RT F from LAX-Asia for ~2200 which seems like a better deal for me.
tstauck likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.