Just Nailed United Premier 1K

Old Sep 3, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Well done.

I wonder if anyone had ever hit exactly 100k AND 120 segments to achieve status. That would be some bragging rights!!
Old Sep 3, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Nice achievement, but don't expect a lot. Main benefits are Group 1 boarding and no change fees on award bookings nor any fee for close in award booking. Plus you get E+ at time of reservation. UA has good award availability to Europe. Don't expect upgrades - so don't worry when they almost never occur.

Also, don't expect any special recognition on board. You do get free drink and food item on board domestic, and free drink (above the free beer and wine) for international - but you have to ask for it. At least on AA as EXP the agents see your status on their hand held and offer it automatically.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by cova
Nice achievement, but don't expect a lot. Main benefits are Group 1 boarding and no change fees on award bookings nor any fee for close in award booking. Plus you get E+ at time of reservation. UA has good award availability to Europe. Don't expect upgrades - so don't worry when they almost never occur.

Also, don't expect any special recognition on board. You do get free drink and food item on board domestic, and free drink (above the free beer and wine) for international - but you have to ask for it. At least on AA as EXP the agents see your status on their hand held and offer it automatically.
UA flight attendants do have hand held phones to automatically comp 1K for free drinks and meals in economy cabin. If you do not fly UA, please do not put misleading info on UA forum. Cheers.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 7:06 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Plus you get E+ at time of reservation.

Also, don't expect any special recognition on board.
E+ at time of reservation starts at the Gold level, which means 50,000 miles ago.

On board International flights, I get a special thanks from the Purser for being 1K about 70% of the flights. And the most important: first choice for my meal. I don't have to state what my second choice is.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Gov't Travel Aficionado, UA Plat
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Congratulations to 1K, therossinator!
Did your 6 GPUs already post?
Yes, they posted yesterday, about a day after getting 1K.

I already had group 1 with Platinum and E+ with Gold.
The no change fees on award tickets it where it's going to make money for me. Take for example the latest sale United has for awards to Asia, theres a flight that departs at 4:30PM for 32000 miles and one that departs at 8:15PM for 40000 miles with the same connections, shorter layover. I just bought both and if I can somehow make the 4:30 or get same day change to the later flight I just saved 8000 miles. If not just take the later flight and cancel the earlier one.
I get plenty of upgrades already as most of my flights are on unrestricted Y. I am very excited to get instant upgrades in the PN fare class.

I mainly fly out of Guam, which has very unique catering for it's routes, like the island hopper doesn't even get buy on board food while most of the other routes from Guam have complementary meal service, except for the HNL route, the longest flight out of Guam, those economy passengers don't get meals.
I've sat next to 1Ks who were proactively recognized, so it does happen. It's nice, but I think it's a little pretentious to have recognition as an expectation. It was never advertised as a benefit of 1K.

Last edited by therossinator; Sep 3, 2018 at 7:36 pm
Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by therossinator
Y
The no change fees on award tickets it where it's going to make money for me. Take for example the latest sale United has for awards to Asia, theres a flight that departs at 4:30PM for 32000 miles and one that departs at 8:15PM for 40000 miles with the same connections, shorter layover. I just bought both and if I can somehow make the 4:30 or get same day change to the later flight I just saved 8000 miles. If not just take the later flight and cancel the earlier one.
I get plenty of upgrades already as most of my flights are on unrestricted Y. I am very excited to get instant upgrades in the PN fare class.
Full stop. Unless I'm reading this wrong, you're double booked out of GUM on 2 separate award PNRs on the same day and are considering a SDC on one of them?!

FYI: You can get both reservations cancelled and your newly minted 1k status yanked for doing things like that, well ahead of your planned departure.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Full stop. Unless I'm reading this wrong, you're double booked out of GUM on 2 separate award PNRs on the same day and are considering a SDC on one of them?!

FYI: You can get both reservations cancelled and your newly minted 1k status yanked for doing things like that, well ahead of your planned departure.
Thats not surprising. It seemed pretty generous to be able to do something like that but I hadnt seen anything prohibiting it.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The computer will auto-cancel duplicate bookings if it's impossible for you to fly both of them. Just for one time, I wouldn't worry about getting into "real trouble", but you should fix it up.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
It's worth it to me because the large majority of my United flying is done on Y full fare economy tickets. Being able to instant upgrade into the PN fare class instead of R is a game changer.
Perks of flying on federal government fares? (based off the OPs comments in other threads, and well, being based in Guam)
Old Sep 3, 2018, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thats not surprising. It seemed pretty generous to be able to do something like that but I hadnt seen anything prohibiting it.
Surely on those long-haul flights from GUM you've had plenty of time to read all bazillion pages of United's Contract of Carriage as well as the MileagePlus Program Rules? No?

CoC Rule 5 (H) clearly states (I've emphasized the most applicable part for your convenience):
Originally Posted by United Airlines Contract of Carriage
UA reserves the right to cancel bookings and/or reservations which it deems fraudulent, abusive, illogical, fictitious, which are booked and/or reserved with no intention of flying, or for which the passenger makes a misrepresentation without notice to the passenger or the individual making the booking. The types of improper reservations that UA will cancel without notice include, but are not limited to: reservations made without having been requested by or on behalf of the named passenger; reservations made to hold or block seats for the purpose of obtaining lower fares, MP award inventory, or upgrades that may not otherwise be available; reservations made to manipulate, abuse, or circumvent any of UAs fare rules, policies or provisions; reservations made for the same passenger on flights traveling on or about the same date between one or more of the same or nearby origin or destination cities; and reservations with connections that depart before the arrival on the inbound flight.
Moreover, the MileagePlus Program Rules include this little beauty:

Originally Posted by United Airlines MileagePlus Rules
Any abuse of the Program or failure to follow the Rules, Uniteds Contract of Carriage, Uniteds fare rules, Partner rules, terms and conditions or any abuse of any Partner offers or programs, any violation of law, rule, or regulation, any conduct detrimental to the interests of United, any fraudulent activity or attempted fraudulent activity, or any misrepresentation of any information furnished to United or its affiliates by any Member, anyone else acting on the Member's behalf, or any third party (collectively, Prohibited Conduct), may result in United exercising any one or more of the following remedies (Uniteds Remedies), with or without notice to the Member: (a) the termination by United of such Members membership (including without limitation any Premier or Million Miler status, if applicable), (b) the removal or cancellation by United of any or all accrued mileage, Premier Qualifying Credits and any pending or outstanding award redemptions, certificates, or benefits (including without limitation any benefits associated with Premier (and/or Million Miler) status, if applicable), (c) the confiscation of any award tickets, denial of boarding with respect to any award ticket holders or, at United's discretion, completion of the travel only upon payment of an applicable revenue fare (and applicable taxes and fees), or (d) the loss of other Program benefits. In addition to the foregoing Uniteds Remedies, United may, upon written request, require the Member to repay the value, as determined by United, of the awards redeemed, certificates or benefits acquired as a result of Prohibited Conduct and, in the event of a Members failure to repay, may initiate legal action to recoup the value of awards redeemed, certificates or benefits acquired by the Member through Prohibited Conduct. Members whose accounts have been terminated shall not be eligible to participate in any aspect of the Program and shall not be eligible to enroll with new accounts.
If I were you, I'd call IMMEDIATELY to cancel one of those bookings. You can claim absentmindedness, temporary amnesia, whatever.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Perks of flying on federal government fares? (based off the OPs comments in other threads, and well, being based in Guam)
Indeed. We have an archaic travel system that we are required to use and it prices out some ridiculous stuff. On non-contracted city pairs we have to fly unrestricted economy on US carriers (of which, United is the only one serving Guam) where available and meets mission requirements. On my OP you see Flight 201 S Class with 11,700 RDM? It's a contracted city pair rate that the government is obligated to purchase. That's 1300PQMs on an economy flight that I can't even use a GPU on.

Originally Posted by kale73
Surely on those long-haul flights from GUM you've had plenty of time to read all bazillion pages of United's Contract of Carriage as well as the MileagePlus Program Rules? No?
CoC Rule 5 (H) clearly states (I've emphasized the most applicable part for your convenience):
Moreover, the MileagePlus Program Rules include this little beauty:
If I were you, I'd call IMMEDIATELY to cancel one of those bookings. You can claim absentmindedness, temporary amnesia, whatever.
I mean I would just call it like it is, and say that I didn't know at time of booking. Calling it absentmindedness or amnesia would suggest that I knew what was right to begin with. It's easy enough to cancel the earlier flight and I appreciate you folks steering me in the right direction. I made the reservation yesterday and the flight isn't until January. Canceled.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
I also work for Uncle Sam. If you book the travel yourself, you can use this trick to get YCA fare if the two city pair does not offer YCA fare, but the hub city in the middle has YCA fare from your originating and destination cities. This requires a multiple destination search.
good luck!
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:45 pm

Recognition for elite members varies by *A carriers! When flying AC, UA, NH and LH I never received any recognition as a Gold. Meanwhile I flew MS four times earlier this year with three out of the four flights the pilot came up to me personally to thank me and shake my hand fire being a Gold member and choosing MS. Clearly YMMV here!

-James
Old Sep 4, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
"Just Nailed United Premier 1K"

I was expecting a thread from a GS who nailed a 1K for pre-boarding, or from a passenger who witnessed some particularly egregious DYKWIA. Oh, it's just another 1K minted.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kmxu
UA flight attendants do have hand held phones to automatically comp 1K for free drinks and meals in economy cabin. If you do not fly UA, please do not put misleading info on UA forum. Cheers.
I flew UA to Europe this past weekend in Economy on a 763. So this is experience on UA just a few days ago. Nice flight, but I was not recognized as 1K nor offered a drink above the free wine and beer. The FA's did not have a hand held in either direction.

I did ask, and indicated I was 1K, and given free drink with a smile. But I had to ask. On the outbound, the FA provided two of the small bottles, on the return, I was given one bottle. I do have drink coupons I usually don't use, so not an issue.

On a UA domestic RT in July with 4 segments, the FA's did have a hand held, but again I had to ask for the free drink and free BOB item. Again I had to tell them I was 1K. Again, direct experience flying on UA.

So I am not sure why you are questioning my comments?

Yes I do fly AA more, but still some flights on UA. Generally on an AA flight, the FA's will go around in advance and ask all the EXP's what BOB item they would like, reserving the item for you, to avoid selling out before they get to your seat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.