Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it worth it to stretch for 1K (over Plat)? [2018 Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 1, 2018, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bigwings8
Major differences between 1K and Plat (as of 12/01/2017)
1Ks
  • Earning initially 2 additional RPUs and 6 GPUs (can earn more)
  • Priority for premium cabin meal choices
  • Free drink and food item if in economy on North American flights
  • Higher waitlist priority for upgrades,
  • Waitlisting for Instant Upgrades if on Y/B/M fares (for CPU eligible flights) and clears into PN
  • No close in 60 day change fees for awards
  • Higher earning rate for RDMs (11 vs 9)
  • While part of BG1, 1Ks can pre-board after GSs and families with a child 2 or younger [[i]note: Starting Sept 18, 2018, 1Ks are in a "preboarding" group after GS and other special needs pax instead of BG1; Plat remains in BG1, which also includes Gold and First/Biz pax without status to preboard]
  • 1K 1-call and 1Kvoice email address customer service
One consideration and "advantage" of Plat is it is the highest level that qualifies for PQD credit card waiver

A list of differences is available here: Premier benefits chart

Related threads
Is it worth it to stretch for 1K (over Plat)? [2017 Consolidated]
[Consolidated"I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"

UA/Star Alliance: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Previous thread(s)
Is it worth it to stretch for 1K (over Plat)? [2016 Consolidated]
is 1k-status really worth all that more than platinum?
Print Wikipost

Is it worth it to stretch for 1K (over Plat)? [2018 Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2018, 10:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
W class fares are usually around $5-600 one way.
What route is that? Maybe SFO-SIN or SFO-HKG. Except the return OW from HKG or SIN is over $1000. For SFO-TYO, UA doesn't even publish a one-way fare lower than a U (which costs over $1400).
Old Oct 13, 2018, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Quick feedback - thinking about paying $3500 for a TPAC instead of $1450. Return would be in P instead of E+ which would get me 1K. Worth it? My dime.

$2k plus the cost of upfaring for GPUS and being in the lottery seems a bit rich...agree?
Old Oct 13, 2018, 10:44 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Quick feedback - thinking about paying $3500 for a TPAC instead of $1450. Return would be in P instead of E+ which would get me 1K. Worth it? My dime.
I'd do it. In fact, I'd pay $1500 for the Y=>J upgrade alone.

Will you use the 6 GPUs? That's often the key question in valuing 1K.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
For me, being in J alone would be worth it for a TPAC. But I have a bad back, so the seat is important. And I’ve also been able to use all my GPUs, most for international, some for domestic. So I value them at a little more than 2K. But everyone has their own way of valuing them.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'd do it. In fact, I'd pay $1500 for the Y=>J upgrade alone.

Will you use the 6 GPUs? That's often the key question in valuing 1K.
Planning a family of 4 blowout vacation next summer (3-4 weeks) before dropping the older one at college. Asia or Europe both still in the mix. Very keen to use UGs - 6 GPU and 2 miles+$.

Several years ago we summer vacationed in Europe, and UA Saver (in Y) award availability determined my dates and initial entry/exit city. Willing to do the same for GPU confirmation.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 11:03 pm

Planning a family of 4 blowout vacation next summer (3-4 weeks) before dropping the older one at college. Asia or Europe both still in the mix. Very keen to use UGs - 6 GPU and 2 miles+$.
Asia will be easy with flexibility, as R9 pretty common on many routes. Europe a bit harder. But probably doable.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 11:22 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
What route is that? Maybe SFO-SIN or SFO-HKG. Except the return OW from HKG or SIN is over $1000. For SFO-TYO, UA doesn't even publish a one-way fare lower than a U (which costs over $1400).
Whoops, left out the second half of that, where you combine it with a nice cheap K fare on the return
Old Oct 13, 2018, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
Whoops, left out the second half of that, where you combine it with a nice cheap K fare on the return
Why not buy a RT W? Typically in the $900-1100 range for the non-China destinations, excepting Japan, where a GPUable RT fare typically runs in the $1200-1700 range.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:46 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Why not buy a RT W? Typically in the $900-1100 range for the non-China destinations, excepting Japan, where a GPUable RT fare typically runs in the $1200-1700 range.
Assuming he only gets 6 GPUs, and he needs 8 for his entire family RT.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 2:19 am

Asia will be easy with flexibility, as R9 pretty common on many routes. Europe a bit harder. But probably doable.
Thanks for costing me $2k. I am in and Asia is slightly favored at the moment from an interest level too. Will try to book with the GPUs ASAP.

The odds of me scoring 1k with a $15k PQD are slim so might as well enjoy it once more...
Old Oct 14, 2018, 2:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by zdog2x
I'm at 60K this year and pushing for 1K again by doing a November mileage run.
60K?
Miles or dollars?
If miles, that's quite a mile run!
Old Oct 14, 2018, 5:16 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum

$2k plus the cost of upfaring for GPUS and being in the lottery seems a bit rich...agree?
My wife did it for our last TPAC this year for exactly the same reason: to reach 1K (and all the $12,000 for that level is on her dime as she does not work). When we booked our flights there was no P fare available. A few months later, United offered a P fare. Since she was already upgraded on the outbound, she called to do a GG BUY UP to the newly available P fare for the inbound. The cost was about the same as yours.
uastarflyer and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 6:33 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by narvik
60K?
Miles or dollars?
Not really, I am currently holding a 4.2 PQD, 40K PQM, 6 PQS itinerary. It started in Y and ended up as P and this time it’s not as a MR.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 11:39 pm

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by narvik
60K?
Miles or dollars?
Run is for 26K miles. Have a few biz trips before the run
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I love these threads but as is my custom I think it help crystalize the decision by attaching a monetary value to the additional perks. Here are mine:

1. Additional RDM (2 per $ spent) = 2 x $15k spend = 30k miles @.02 per mile = $600
2. Pre-boarding (now more valuable as you leap past Plats and paid F) = $200
3. 1 free drink and food item on every flight. Most of my travel is international and the rest can be expensed. But for the sake of discussion will assume 10 meals @$10 & 10 drinks @$8 = $180
4. GPUs/RPUs - I assign what I would pay for TOD upgrade on Transcon/Hawaii/Mexico. $150 x 8 = $1200. I know others may assign higher value for Y->F TATL and TPAC but I'm not willing to roll the dice on those trips.
5. Award ticket changes - I've already canceled/changed award tickets 6x this year to replace long connections with nonstops when UA added last minute inventory. Plat change fee is $50 x 6 = $300.
6. Higher CPU clearance - from SFO this is negligible except on leisure routes (e.g. was #16 and # 8 last week on SFO<->IAH flights). For the sake of argument will value @$200as I probably cleared a couple this year.

So (IMO very conservative) grand total is approx. USD $2680.

Originally Posted by nealsense
  • Do GPUs work out of SFO?
  • I have had no success with RPUs till date
  • Do GPUs work if I am trying to get 4 people to upgrade to business class/Polaris?
  • Any other benefit to 1K that I might be overlooking?
  • I end up traveling about once a month so I will probably never hit 1K again given the new 125K PQM requirement.
Everyone has a different experience. If you need specific flights on specific dates with zero flexibility then GPUs do not work well out of SFO on international TATL and TPAC flights (though better on latter). Also very difficult on transcons to east coast unless they clear at time of booking. IME RPUs are easy to clear to Mexico and even sometimes from West Coast to Hawaii. But then again might have cleared those flights with CPUs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.