Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United alleged to pay "hush money" to passenger who witnessed offensive act

Old Sep 1, 18, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: united

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/woma...235248781.html

A woman alleges that a man mαsturbated next to her on a United flight and the airline paid her $75 in “hush money” after she complained.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 2, 18 at 12:50 am Reason: hyperlinked the reference and added a shrt quote per FT rules
Old Sep 1, 18, 2:44 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
So now we know why they had to raise the checked bag fees........but was it real money or a travel cert?
Old Sep 1, 18, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K
So I guess I have been receiving "hush money" for all the ETC's I have been accepting over the years. I feel so dirty
Old Sep 1, 18, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K3MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I saw that story earlier - and it is so over the top ridiculous - I don't know how she thought anyone would believe that story and that $75 is "hush money"
EWR764, mikeyf and tuolumne like this.
Old Sep 1, 18, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
I saw that story earlier - and it is so over the top ridiculous - I don't know how she thought anyone would believe that story and that $75 is "hush money"
Agreed, and by no means am I saying it did not happen. It's just the description of the incident and characterization of the obvious customer care certificate as "hush money" is ridiculous.
Old Sep 1, 18, 3:06 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: 1K, *G, 1MM
I tell you my number for "hush money" is much higher than hers!

Although it is certainly an icky situation and at $75 for "hush money", United has no incentive to stop such behavior. I receive more for intermittent internet or downgauge to Y. And since she is talking about it does that mean she needs to give back the "hush money"?
Old Sep 1, 18, 3:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA Gold 1.8MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
It is unfortunately the person found themselves in this situation but a quick google scan shows this happens on all forms of transportation and all the major carriers. This should not happen to anyone but it happens unfortunately.

However, calling this customer (mis)service voucher "hush money" is a bit over the top but will provide this individual their 15-min of fame which perhaps will be viewed as further compensation.

It is the individual that acted inappropriate that should be called out. Appears the on aircraft crew did what they could do once they were notified.
LAXOGG and Often1 like this.
Old Sep 1, 18, 4:40 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr View Post
It's just the description of the incident and characterization of the obvious customer care certificate as "hush money" is ridiculous.
Not least of which is because there appears to be a lack of actual "hush".
Old Sep 1, 18, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA
Doesn't hush money usually come with a confidentiality or non-disclosure agreement?

That sort of bad behaviour from a passenger is a problem on many modes of transportation. The only time I have been called for jury selection was a similar case but on public transportation. Was not selected for the jury. Later looked up that the defendant was found guilty.
Old Sep 2, 18, 12:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/woman-says-united-airlines-paid-hush-money-reported-masterbating-seat-mate-235248781.html
The link doesn't seem to work, so I'm going to try quoting it to fix the problem.

ADDED: It still doesn't work.,
Old Sep 2, 18, 12:48 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA Gold 1.8MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
The link doesn't seem to work, so I'm going to try quoting it to fix the problem.

ADDED: It still doesn't work.,
try the OP again
Old Sep 2, 18, 1:32 am

Programs: ex-Con *Gold (earned)
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
This part is especially ridiculous: "I just spent hours next to a guy who was mαsturbating on this flight".

She also states that she was seated between the ...... (aisle) and her sleeping boyfriend (window) and "I had no idea what to do." Wake your boyfriend. He'll think of something.

Also, masterbating (sic) is misspelled in the URL.
Old Sep 2, 18, 1:54 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by kale73 View Post
This part is especially ridiculous: "I just spent hours next to a guy who was mαsturbating on this flight".

She also states that she was seated between the ...... (aisle) and her sleeping boyfriend (window) and "I had no idea what to do." Wake your boyfriend. He'll think of something.

Also, masterbating (sic) is misspelled in the URL.
It is definitely possible to 'bate for hours, especially on drugs. It's also possible the guy stopped and restarted.

The URL's misspelling and the fact the "a" is replaced with a Greek letter alpha is hilarious.
Old Sep 2, 18, 2:07 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Let's not get too graphic here -- that will add nothing to the discussion concerning the subject of the forum - UA and our travel experiences.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Sep 2, 18, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Hell, I've gotten $300 vouchers for inoperative overhead lights.

And I did not even have to stay quiet about them.

Search this Thread