Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA says Passport Required for Puerto Rico

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA says Passport Required for Puerto Rico

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2018, 10:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Delta 764
We recently booked a trip on PHX-BQN for a friend, and the itinerary says that a passport is required for the trip. I was wondering, is this a new UA-specific requirement? I never required a passport to travel to Puerto Rico.
Would you mind posting the document (make sure you redact all personally identifying information). Is it possible that this was booked through a TA or some third-party vendor which is simply incorrect?

UA's own website has no such requirement (nor is a passport required).
Old Sep 1, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by joe_miami
Not sure if it's policy, but it would make sense, since diverting would mean a non-U.S. landing.
No, that doesn't make sense. In addition to a passport, would they make sure you also had entry documents for all countries where you might possibly divert, possibly requiring visas? Nonsense.

More than just a possible divert, I've overflown Mexico on an IAH-HNL flight, and Canada on BOS-ORD. No passport required.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: UA, LH, BA
Originally Posted by Kacee
Right, so be sure to bring one when you fly to ANC
many years ago, I was on a NW flight from MSP to ANC. The flight diverted to YEG(Edmonton) due to problems with a lavatory being backed up. The plane(757?) was on the ground for almost 9 hours. Some passengers(myself included) who were carrying their US passports were able to exti the airport and had a great time in town.... well, it was Edmonton, so we did the best we could. On they way from YEG to ANC, my seatmate told me that those who had no passports were just hanging around the airport all day(and part of the night).

These days, I always carry at least my passport card, just in case.
joe_miami likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by geometry
These days, I always carry at least my passport card, just in case.
Your passport card wouldn’t have helped in any situation where you arrive via airplane since they are only acceptable for entry via land or sea. If you arrive by air you must either have a passport book or a NEXUS card.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
Originally Posted by geometry
many years ago, I was on a NW flight from MSP to ANC.
This couldn't have been many years ago (in geologic time at least) because I believe no passport was necessary to or from Canada until June 2009, while NW ceased operating under that name in Jan. 2010 How times have changed, passport-wise...
Old Sep 1, 2018, 1:30 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by radiowell
I’ll make sure to pack mine when going to ABQ

Come to think of it, I have seen border patrol at ELP airport, even though all of their flights are domestic...

Nowadays, you probably need to bring one, whether required or not. Sad but true.
The one and only time I flew ELP-LAX (most likely, possibly another CA city) we took off and in less than a minute (IIRC) we were over Ciudad Juarez ..... turned right and in fairly short time were over New Mexico. Would I need a passport for NM?
Old Sep 1, 2018, 4:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Steve M
No, that doesn't make sense. In addition to a passport, would they make sure you also had entry documents for all countries where you might possibly divert, possibly requiring visas? Nonsense.

More than just a possible divert, I've overflown Mexico on an IAH-HNL flight, and Canada on BOS-ORD. No passport required.
The odds of needing to divert and then deplane when heading to any of the small islands in the Caribbean are a lot higher than the odds of needing an emergency landing mid-route on a flight from IAH to HNL.

I don't know if United gets to set its own documentation requirements or not, but it certainly makes sense that an airline would strongly encourage bringing one's passport along on a flight to P.R.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 4:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
but it certainly makes sense that an airline would strongly encourage bringing one's passport along on a flight to P.R.
It makes absolutely no sense at all. Should flights that skirt the coast of China (i.e., virtually all North American TPACs) also require that all pax have China visas? How about flights that overfly Russia (a high percentage of Europe-Asia flights) - should they also require Russia visas?

The fact is, airlines simply do not take diversions into account in the context of documentation requirements. Typically when an aircraft diverts to an unscheduled country, all pax are maintained in a secure area and do not enter the country, regardless whether they have their passports with them.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 4:38 pm
Suspended

It makes absolutely no sense at all. Should flights that skirt the coast of China (i.e., virtually all North American TPACs) also require that all pax have China visas? How about flights that overfly Russia (a high percentage of Europe-Asia flights) - should they also require Russia visas?
This is dumb. "We recommend you bring your passport, if you have one" is a lot different than "visit a consulate and obtain a visa for all countries we might fly over or fly near." Let's be serious here.

The fact is, airlines simply do not take diversions into account in the context of documentation requirements. Typically when an aircraft diverts to an unscheduled country, all pax are maintained in a secure area and do not enter the country, regardless whether they have their passports with them.
Why the hell would anyone who has a passport want to wait around at an airport for many hours when they could go do something? Makes no sense.

If a flight to P.R. diverts to D.R. and then the crew times out, that could be a long wait.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kapooncha
Is your friend a U.S. citizen? If yes, no passport is required, no matter what UA says. UA doesn't get to make their own rules.
I flew a UA mileage run to BQN a few years ago. As a Canadian citizen, I happened to have my passport with me.

The only person who paid it much attention was the TSA agent in BQN. He flipped through every damn visa page. As if anything other than the photo page is relevant for a domestic departure (and certainly not relevant to TSA, even for international).
Old Sep 1, 2018, 6:28 pm

This is dumb. "We recommend you bring your passport, if you have one" is a lot different than "visit a consulate and obtain a visa for all countries we might fly over or fly near." Let's be serious here.

Why the hell would anyone who has a passport want to wait around at an airport for many hours when they could go do something? Makes no sense.

If a flight to P.R. diverts to D.R. and then the crew times out, that could be a long wait.
Just not going to waive the white flag here, are you? Half kidding - but again, you're totally wrong. Your logic is like saying a flight from Houston to Santiago, you need a visa for Argentina just in case the flight diverts there and the crew times out. There are contingencies for those sort of things happening - and none of them involve a plane load of passengers needing a visa or passport "just in case." There was a domestic flight recently from JFK to Fort Lauderdale that diverted to Nassau due to weather - should those passengers have all had passports in case the crew timed out there?

Your first post said "diverting would mean a non-US landing" ... why would they need to go to the Dominican Republic? San Juan is right behind them.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 6:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
With knowing more about what the OP saw and where it was seen. And info on the full trip and the individual traveling, we are all shooting in the dark.

It is clear UA does not require a passport to travel to Puerto Rico (per personal experience and per the main website), so there is something missing.
Often1 likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 6:53 pm

Typically when an aircraft diverts to an unscheduled country, all pax are maintained in a secure area and do not enter the country, regardless whether they have their passports with them.
Or emergency visas are arranged to allow pax to go to a hotel. It is something the airlines and immigration authorities are equipped to deal with.
Often1 and Kacee like this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 7:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Hammer0425
Just not going to waive the white flag here, are you? Half kidding - but again, you're totally wrong. Your logic is like saying a flight from Houston to Santiago, you need a visa for Argentina just in case the flight diverts there and the crew times out. There are contingencies for those sort of things happening - and none of them involve a plane load of passengers needing a visa or passport "just in case."
No, I'm not going to wave the white flag, and the Argentina example is silly. As I already said above, there's a huge difference between bringing one's passport and going to get visas just in case of a diverted flight. I can't believe people are making that argument with a straight face.

Your first post said "diverting would mean a non-US landing" ... why would they need to go to the Dominican Republic? San Juan is right behind them.
My first post also immediately conceded that a passport isn't a United requirement for P.R. travel. A lot of things that aren't required are still a good idea.

There was a domestic flight recently from JFK to Fort Lauderdale that diverted to Nassau due to weather - should those passengers have all had passports in case the crew timed out there?
Originally Posted by sbm12
Or emergency visas are arranged to allow pax to go to a hotel. It is something the airlines and immigration authorities are equipped to deal with.
Which do you believe is faster? Pulling out one's passport and breezing through immigration, or waiting with potentially hundreds of other passport-less travelers while emergency entry is arranged?
Old Sep 1, 2018, 8:14 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
In fact shortly after the new rules kicked in, Puerto Rico started a whole campaign based on "No passport required."

Sadly search has failed me, but US Virgin Islands fall under the same category, and it seems they still want you to come:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.