Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TOD booked in to “R”. Is this a new thing?

Old Aug 30, 2018, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium

Did it last week IAH-LAX and much to my surprise it came out as R instead of the usual P. Is this a glitch or a new thing?
Old Aug 30, 2018, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
No, not new at all. IME, only happens when there is actually R inventory available at time of TOD. For this reason, I always check the available fare buckets immediately prior to confirming a TOD.

-FlyerBeek
Old Aug 30, 2018, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Funny since it is only the first time happening to me.
all the previous times (roughly 20-30 times) it booked into P
Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:22 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Usually P (when R isn't available), but I've also seen A and I think even Z on TODs.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
But does it matter? TOD upgrades still post as the paid class of what you originally purchased and you earn PQM based on original fare class, right?

The only thing I could see it possibility affecting is SDC or IROPS.

-RM
Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
But does it matter? TOD upgrades still post as the paid class of what you originally purchased and you earn PQM based on original fare class, right?
There have been many reports of TODs that book into paid fare classes earning 2x (or even 3x) PQM.

There has also been a recent trend of people no longer getting that bonus, often for the first time (like the OP). It's my guess that they're trying to standardize this system, and the intent is definitely for TODs not to result in the bonus PQMs.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 6:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by RobOnLI

The only thing I could see it possibility affecting is SDC or IROPS.

-RM
All of my non-R TODs for the past 2 years have earned extra PQDs. Also, certainly impacts SDC options.

-FlyerBeek
Old Aug 31, 2018, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Also, certainly impacts SDC options.
The upgrade T&C state that the upgrade is void if you make a voluntary change. Don't be surprised if UA starts enforcing this (although, personally, I hope they'd refund the upgrade fee). They're trying to strike a balance between being able to sell discounted TODs to improve revenue and pushing people to buying F outright, perhaps at less of a discount.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
The only way to assure your upgrade gets bonus PQM's, etc. (besides buying a premium cabin ticket in the first place) is to call and have your reservation reticketed into a premium fare code. (there's no change fee). If the amount quoted is equal or less than the TOD offer, have the agent do it. If it's more, then decide whether it's more important to have the additional PQM's or the other benefits (BG1, hard/soft product, etc.) at a less expensive price.
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
The upgrade T&C state that the upgrade is void if you make a voluntary change. Don't be surprised if UA starts enforcing this...
Of course. However, this is not how the UA app is currently working wrt TOD upgrades booked into premium fare buckets.

-FlyerBeek
Old Aug 31, 2018, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Of course. However, this is not how the UA app is currently working wrt TOD upgrades booked into premium fare buckets.
I understand that, but if people are making plans based on this, they should be aware that it's effectively a glitch and subject to correction at any time.

Inevitably, some number of people see posts like this, think that it's a policy, rather than a glitch, and then get upset when the glitch doesn't happen to occur.
findark likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
I understand that, but if people are making plans based on this, they should be aware that it's effectively a glitch and subject to correction at any time.

Inevitably, some number of people see posts like this, think that it's a policy, rather than a glitch, and then get upset when the glitch doesn't happen to occur.
Yes, similar to a glitch that allows Gold and below with CPU (RN) to SDC into F/J.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by radiowell

Yes, similar to a glitch that allows Gold and below with CPU (RN) to SDC into F/J.
For awhile there, GS booked into PN would clear into other flights with PN available via SDC. That has been closed. This likely will be too.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM
Another data point. I opted to upgrade myself once the price dropped down tot he usual ~$299 for an upcoming EWR-LAX flight and was booked into P and received 2x PQMs.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:48 am

AMS-IAH booked in ZN

My recent TOD upgrade at the gate for the AMS-IAH flight was booked into ZN class with no PQM multiplier.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.