Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Airlines FA Uniform

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2018, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ex-United 1K, now a Private Pilot! :)
United Airlines FA Uniform

Hi everyone,

Recently been on United and I am VERY confused about their uniform. What's going on? Here are the different types of uniforms I've seen. To me, it almost feels like I cannot tell that they're all from the same airline.

Female:
Blue Jacket
Blue One-piece Dress
Black Shirt with the double stripe

Now, the males are EVEN MORE CONFUSING to me:

Male:
Black Jacket with double stripe
White Shirt with double stripe epaulet
White Shirt with NO Epaulet
Stripe Shirt with tie?

I am very confused...
Old Aug 30, 2018, 1:15 pm

Barely even consider these uniforms as they are so mix and match and also the individual ‘accents’
Giant pink flower in hair, etc

Flight attendants on United always look sloppy to me
FlyingNone likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 1:42 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Aren’t they redoing the uniforms with the new color scheme next month?
RNE likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Originally Posted by jerseygirl
Barely even consider these uniforms as they are so mix and match and also the individual ‘accents’
Giant pink flower in hair, etc

Flight attendants on United always look sloppy to me

I agree that UA has some frontline staff who don't seem to follow what a uniform is supposed to be. However, and maybe it is due to the flights you find yourself on or I find myself on, but I don't think grooming standards are enforced. In fact, wasn't it Kirby who made a comment about the appearance and uniform upkeep of and grooming. Personally I find most of the in inflight crew to be done up as well as could be expected, and some really go out of their way to maintain their appearance and it shows in the level of professionalism in their service. But overall it's a fact of life, we Americans are slobs! Landing in places like Milan where AA and DL crew sometimes arrive around the same time, I have been shocked by what how a small minority of the FA's appear after a redeye.

As per new uniforms, expect them to be rolled out slowly so UA avoids the AA uniform debacle with uncomfortable/itchy uniforms. The CO and UA in flight cabin crew are still working under different work groups which is supposed to be finally merged into one happy family in October. Guessing that has kept various old uniforms going a bit old in the tooth!

Adam
Old Aug 30, 2018, 4:29 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Originally Posted by aca36
Hi everyone,

Recently been on United and I am VERY confused about their uniform. What's going on? Here are the different types of uniforms I've seen. To me, it almost feels like I cannot tell that they're all from the same airline.

Female:
Blue Jacket
Blue One-piece Dress
Black Shirt with the double stripe

Now, the males are EVEN MORE CONFUSING to me:

Male:
Black Jacket with double stripe
White Shirt with double stripe epaulet
White Shirt with NO Epaulet
Stripe Shirt with tie?

I am very confused...
I don't know the women's combos nearly as well as I know the Men's. But off the top of my head,

Men:
Three shirt patterns (white, checkered, striped)
Four(/six) ties - Grey with destinations wordprint, blue checkered, grey/blue striped, purple paisley type thing (pink and candy cane ties for charity some months)
Black pants, blazer, serving jacket, and vest.

Mix and match for shirts and ties. Must wear a blazer internationally. White and check have short sleeved options (white has epaulets) which can be worn alone as outermost garment domestically. White Aviator shirt shouldn't be under a vest (I don't know why anyone would because that looks terrible, IMO).

Striped shirts and purple flower ties have been phased out, but are still technically compliant. I think the first run of shirts also had a short sleeve white shirt sans epaulets which had to be worn under the vest or blazer, but that hasn't been offered in some time

Women:
Two styles of blue dress with a blue blazer to match
Black dress
Black slacks or skirt to be worn with Black short sleeve jacket or black blazer
White and striped shirts for the blazer

Three scarf designs

Originally Posted by mr8
Aren’t they redoing the uniforms with the new color scheme next month?
It's been in the works for some time now. Will be later than next month though, as wear testing (in current colors) isn't until October.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA MP
I personally don't mind all the combinations. Although confusing, feel that I gives a personalized touch.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
I wonder if there's a market for used UA uniforms.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ex-United 1K, now a Private Pilot! :)
I was on UA again and I am super confused once again... I've seen the threads on new uniforms but seems like everything is still the same: the mix-match white/striped shirts with ties for men, ladies with a blue dress or black blazer...
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
A small percentage of pilots and F/As were wear-testing new uniform designs. That test has ended. The data gathered from the testing will be used to improve the designs and another wear test is scheduled for later this year. The eventual new uniforms aren't due until sometime next year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.