Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pax threatened/hit me on flight - FAs refused to help. What would you do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pax threatened/hit me on flight - FAs refused to help. What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
FlyerTalkers: Power-tripping flight attendants at United are a scourge and must be stopped.

Also FlyerTalkers: Flight attendants should act like police and intervene in disputes between passengers.

wrp96 and canadiancow like this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 11:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sykes
Also FlyerTalkers: Flight attendants should act like police and intervene in disputes between passengers.

So hypothetical question. Flight breaks out at 30,000 feet between 4 passengers. Who should intervene to break that up?
rickg523 likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by kapooncha
So hypothetical question. Flight breaks out at 30,000 feet between 4 passengers. Who should intervene to break that up?
As long as you want to keep going with hypothetical questions:

A fight breaks out at 4 feet with 30,000 passengers, who should intervene?
Old Aug 31, 2018, 11:16 am

30,000 ft. is a much different story than 0 feet. Having said that, in almost every situation I know of where there was a dispute or an aggressive passenger, it has been other passengers that have diffused the situation rather than the crew.

I'm mostly with the FAs on this one. While I think that they could have called to the GA to request police (and if they were untruthful about the situation when queried it's unforgivable), I also think that if they engaged in the situation in any visible way it was likely to escalate it further rather than defuse it, so the right answer is to get the passengers off the plane as quickly as possible and let those qualified to handle it deal with it.

Last edited by Sykes; Aug 31, 2018 at 11:21 am
Old Aug 31, 2018, 11:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sykes
30,000 ft. is a much different story than 0 feet. Having said that, in almost every situation I know of where there was a dispute or an aggressive passenger, it has been other passengers that have diffused the situation rather than the crew.

I'm mostly with the FAs on this one. While I think that they could have called to the GA to request police (and if they were untruthful about the situation when queried it's unforgivable), I also think that if they engaged in the situation in any visible way, it was likely to escalate it further rather than defuse it, so the right answer is to get the passengers off the plane as quickly as possible and let those qualified to handle it deal with it.
So you think passengers should police other passengers and FA's can be left off to the side to just shrug their shoulders? WOW, I'm just amazed.

I can tell you as someone who sits at the front most of the time, I will not be intervening unless I think there is a terrorist attack or if a child is getting beaten. Outside of those 2 events, I'm going to the lavatory, locking myself in, and waiting for the disturbance to be dealt with.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I have an answer: At 30,000 feet or a little below, passenger touches the private parts of his female neighbors. The FAMs intervened. Plane returned to its departure airport.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 11:30 am

So you think passengers should police other passengers and FA's can be left off to the side to just shrug their shoulders? WOW, I'm just amazed.
Pretty much. In civil society this is generally the way it works--adults act like adults and take care of themselves, and if things escalate too far bystanders intervene and, if necessary, call the police.

I don't expect ushers in a theater to intervene in a dispute between patrons, aside from asking them to leave or calling the police if necessary. I have the same expectation of flight attendants when the plane is on the ground and parked at the gate. At 30,000 ft. I expect flight attendants to do whatever is necessary to ensure the continued safety of the flight, but the form that takes will differ a lot depending on the situation.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by Imstevek
Of course there is, but not in this case. Nothing further happened on the plane post-shrug, unless I'm missing something.

I'm not advocating what they did was proactive, but as I stated, the resources within the airport are much better equipped to handle some guy going off than the flight crew.
I 100% agree that the resources within the airport were the appropriate individuals to handle the altercation. What I'm arguing is that the FA should have given the GA a heads up that the situation was coming their way so they *could* be prepared to handle it instead of just standing there doing nothing.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: UA 1k MM, AA EXP MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Avis First (oh boy)
This is why everyone in our family (including our young kids) have studied martial arts. Too many rude people who think they can bully others. After years of training, i'm more than happy to meet any clown at the end of the jetway. As long as they throw the first punch, i'm in my full legal right to {response}, which i will do.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 31, 2018 at 11:57 am Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 1:35 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by corbetti
This is why everyone in our family (including our young kids) have studied martial arts. Too many rude people who think they can bully others. After years of training, i'm more than happy to meet any clown at the end of the jetway. As long as they throw the first punch, i'm in my full legal right to {response}, which i will do.
WWCND?
Old Aug 31, 2018, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
At the risk of being labeled an apologist, I think the FA did one thing exactly right - got the confrontation off the airplane. I think the outcome would have been worse had it escalated inside the airplane. Note that after they were asked for help, no further contact was made, and once in the gate area the police could be (and were) called.
Agree 100% here, especially in confined spaces like an airplane where the security may even get confused and pull the wrong pax off the flight! The last thing UA needs is another David Dao situation where passengers get forcibly removed from the plane and the video going viral on Youtube shortly thereafter.
The one thing UA could have done differently would have reported the pax and incident to the TSA (they have a pax manifest so should be easy to look up). I don't know if TSA has that "technology" but would argue that they should. Their job is to find the security needles in the haystack. Wouldn't mind that disruptive pax getting frisked a few extra times since he's clearly a safety risk. Maybe then they will learn their lesson!

One final thought, and I don't want to be an apologist for this guy. However, one thing we aren't aware of the aggressive pax's context. Perhaps they had a nasty misconnection or something else go on in their life that triggered them. Still, that's no excuse for the behaviour but something to keep in mind.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Aug 31, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by j2simpso
However, one thing we aren't aware of the aggressive pax's context. Perhaps they had a nasty misconnection or something else go on in their life that triggered them. Still, that's no excuse for the behaviour but something to keep in mind.
If it doesn't excuse the behavior, why even bother to keep it in mind?
Old Aug 31, 2018, 5:06 pm

Programs: Alaska, Hilton, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Row 1 - so this all took place in F?
Old Aug 31, 2018, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by alangore
Didn't realize that at the time. Brings new meaning to the term DYKWIA!

-James
Old Aug 31, 2018, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alangore
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Didn't realize that at the time. Brings new meaning to the term DYKWIA!

-James
Why does the row matter. Row 1 or Row 30, it is still assault and the OP should have asked for charges to be pressed against the offender.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.