Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it worth it to stretch for Gold (over Silver)? [2018 Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Major differences between Gold and Silver
  • Use *G lounges on international trips
  • Use *G lounges on domestic flights when departing from select US airports
  • 2 bags @ 70 lbs (vs 1 @ 70lbs -Silver increased from 50lbs 28 Sept 2018)
  • Boarding Group 1
  • Lower award booking and change fees
  • E+ at time of booking for yourself + 1.
  • Free Same Day Change (SDC)
  • Higher earning rate for RDMs (8 vs 7)
  • Higher on the upgrade list
  • Eligible for Marriott Gold Status via RewardsPlus
A summary of differences is available here: Premier benefits chart

Related threads
[Consolidated"I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"

UA/Star Alliance: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Previous thread(s)
Is it worth it to stretch for Gold (over Silver)? [2017 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Gold (over Silver)? [2016 Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

Is it worth it to stretch for Gold (over Silver)? [2018 Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Doesn't EC261 just cover events inside airlines control like MX and personnel? I suspect nasty weather in EWR isn't covered!
There is no exception to the duty of care under EU.261.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Doesn't EC261 just cover events inside airlines control like MX and personnel? I suspect nasty weather in EWR isn't covered!
They cash payout isn't due in some "extraordinary" circumstances outside the airline's control (and there are many court cases about what counts), but the duty of care (meals, hotel, transport to/from hotel, and two phone calls) always applies regardless of reason.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...-united-5.html

It applies for EU carriers world-wide and flights departing the EU on any carrier.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:44 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
We're way off topic here with the EU 261 discussion. Please continue any further discussions on that topic in the appropriate thread.

l'etoile
UA moderator
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador/United 1K
Thanks. I'm pretty agnostic here - are there other airlines out of SFO that offer a more likely upgrade to first class for Gold Status member, or members one level above the bottom? Or is it basically everyone in first class is paying for these days?

I'm at hotel points - trying to get good at airlines
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by lincoln841
Thanks. I'm pretty agnostic here - are there other airlines out of SFO that offer a more likely upgrade to first class for Gold Status member, or members one level above the bottom? Or is it basically everyone in first class is paying for these days?

I'm at hotel points - trying to get good at airlines
SFO is a United fortress hub, so you're likely to be a little bit better off on another carrier. However, the 50k tier on any airline is not going to be a promised land of upgrades. The flip side is that UA has by far the strongest schedule out of SFO of any carrier except WN to California (and maybe AS to the Northwest).

I'm not very experienced at the hotel status game, but I think it's somewhat equivalent to asking what it takes to get upgraded to a suite at a hotel. Certainly none of my middling hotel statuses are good enough for that
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
For me, E+ at booking is a big one, and no fee for SDC is a good one.
Agree 100% on those points and make use of them fairly regularly. OP will have to weigh the importance of E+ seating to them. The major change between Silver and Gold is with Gold you get to choose your E+ seating at time of booking which means you are more likely to capture the "throne" E+ seats before another elite or wealthy kettle snags it before OLCI! This benefit extends to one addition pax so if you're travelling with your significant other on UA they too would appreciate having the better seating as well!

If you do a decent amount of business travel, having the SDC fee waiver can be a real godsend. Back when I was working at a company that did a lot of travel, it meant a lot to employees if they could catch an earlier flight when their meets ended early to have a nice meal with their spouse instead of landing in the dead hours of the night. It's also been used strategically by fellow FTers to push themselves into flights that have tons of CPU space thereby ensuring they get the upgrade! Flying out of UA fortresses like SFO and NYC will also give you tons of options to play around with.

For me it was no brainer since I only needed to hit 50,000 PQM + 4 segments on UA metal every year to qualify as Gold (since I'm Canadian) and I easily get great milage out of those benefits over a year of travel! For you it may be a bit more challenging, since you have to justify hitting the $6,000 PQD target, no small feat. That being said nearly every US domestic FFP has a spend requirement so all of them are demanding your loyalty before they hand over any benefits. One thing you may want to look at is theUnited Upgrade SpreadsheetI maintain which highlights the cash upgrades United has offered fellow FT travellers to get a sense of what you'll be forking out if you want to fly F. These days, unless your EXP on AA don't expect to be receiving complimentary upgrades, especially when flying hub-to-hub.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Aug 30, 2018, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys. Final question. Are there any airlines where you can achieve high level status (above gold) through credit card spend? I can generally spend the dollars (7 figures a month), but I can only find hotels willing to give status with cc spend!
Old Aug 30, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Thanks guys. Final question. Are there any airlines where you can achieve high level status (above gold) through credit card spend? I can generally spend the dollars (7 figures a month), but I can only find hotels willing to give status with cc spend!
The United credit card gives you a PQD waiver (up to Platinum) if you spend $25,000/year but you still have to meet PQM or PQS for that level.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Aug 30, 2018 at 7:36 pm
Old Aug 30, 2018, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Not really. The best credit card programs I can think of for US carriers are Delta (30k MQMs at $60k and waive the spend requirement for Diamond at $250k, plus Sky Club membership), and Southwest (Companion Pass status is completely runnable by CC), but you won't get top tier status through solely spend.

I believe some of the higher tier cards like Centurion and Palladium might offer some complimentary airline status too, but it's not top tier. Are you really running tens of millions of USD a month, or is 7 figures a typo?
Old Aug 30, 2018, 8:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by findark
..... Are you really running tens of millions of USD a month, or is 7 figures a typo?
1 million and above is 7 digit
Old Aug 30, 2018, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
1 million and above is 7 digit
Right - that would be 10 to the 7th. Still a million dollars a month is a ton of money.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Sorry for any confusion. Running a couple million a month on cards. Tried to get Centurion but an element of fame is required now and I don't qualify
Old Aug 30, 2018, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry for any confusion. Running a couple million a month on cards. Tried to get Centurion but an element of fame is required now and I don't qualify
That has to categorize for over $50,000 a month in rewards... unless your MS costs are high seems like you may be over-optimizing here and the answer is just buy F
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:06 pm

Location: MSP, WLG, or the forward most A seat in Y I can get
Programs: UA Plat (and all the derivatives on cars and hotels that implies)
If you have the Club Card, the incremental benefit of *G for lounge access is small. But E+ at booking for yourself and one companion is excellent, and you can pick exit rows and bulkheads which will generally not be available to Silvers at T-24.

The Same Day Change benefits are highly useful once you know how to use them.

Flying internationally the treatment of *G vs *S by other airlines can be big. IME on Air Canada, Lufthansa, and Air New Zealand *G gets better seats and better boarding.

As Gold you'll be lucky to be upgraded on MSP-SFO or v.v. I rarely get this upgrade as a Platinum except in vacation periods or on Saturday nights.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:15 pm

Airline loyalty programs are different than hotel programs where status is given very easily (i.e. I got Gold Status with Hilton till 2020 through a simple status match with my Marriott Gold). I once got BW Diamond Select status (their highest tier) by sending in an index card, but that's a story for another day. United's 1K will be helpful for some things, but generally you'll want to have something higher like Global Services which much like the Centurion card, doesn't have specific qualification requirements, but rather is based on how much moolah you spend annually with them. The general consensus is a $50K-$100K annual spend on UA fares will get you Global Services access. Once you hit that Global Services you'll literally be treated like a rockstar, you'll have dedicated agents, very high upgrade clearance odds (since you're only competing with 1 or 2 other GS members per flight at most), Mercedes rides on the tarmac from plane to plane, etc.

In other words, if you want the attention of UA you gotta fork over the money. Naturally you'd think that this would deter many people. However, when I see the sheer number of 1K members (which have the requirement of forking out $12,000 per year + 100,000 miles flown) yu can see that the airlines have no trouble getting loyalty from their pax. This is especially true if the pax travels frequently for business and is out of a fortress (i.e. SFO for UA or DFW for AA or DTW for DL)

Safe Travels,

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.