Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it worth it to stretch for Gold (over Silver)? [2018 Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Major differences between Gold and Silver
  • Use *G lounges on international trips
  • Use *G lounges on domestic flights when departing from select US airports
  • 2 bags @ 70 lbs (vs 1 @ 70lbs -Silver increased from 50lbs 28 Sept 2018)
  • Boarding Group 1
  • Lower award booking and change fees
  • E+ at time of booking for yourself + 1.
  • Free Same Day Change (SDC)
  • Higher earning rate for RDMs (8 vs 7)
  • Higher on the upgrade list
  • Eligible for Marriott Gold Status via RewardsPlus
A summary of differences is available here: Premier benefits chart

Related threads
[Consolidated"I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"

UA/Star Alliance: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Previous thread(s)
Is it worth it to stretch for Gold (over Silver)? [2017 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Gold (over Silver)? [2016 Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

Is it worth it to stretch for Gold (over Silver)? [2018 Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Hi!

My wife will finish the end of the year with the following activity:
PQM 72,296
Segment: 25
PDQ: $5883

She will be short by $117 to reach Gold Status (it would be first time for her). Is there any chance she could be automatically bumped to gold? I have seen offers for missing PQM but not really missing PQD?

We will be flying one more time between LAX and Japan:
  • LAX - NRT
  • NRT - SFO - LAX
I thought we could buy the upgrade for the leg SFO - LAX ($137 per person) but according to the customer support, it's not possible to only upgrade for one leg.

On my side I'm Premier 1K if that could help her...?

Any advice on how to approach this?

She will be flying way more next year so getting the Gold status would definitively be nice for her.

Thanks!
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by oyinko
She will be short by $117 to reach Gold Status (it would be first time for her). Is there any chance she could be automatically bumped to gold? I have seen offers for missing PQM but not really missing PQD?
There are not offers for buying PQM, and the agent is correct that you cannot upfare the domestic segment of the international itinerary; you would need to change one entire direction to Business.

She will likely receive an offer to "buy up" to Gold for something in the realm of $500 in January; the most cost effective way by far to maintain the status would be to make a quick day trip somewhere interesting on the West Coast (she have any friends in SFO, maybe?) that's worth 117 PQD.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Hi!

My wife will finish the end of the year with the following activity:
PQM 72,296
Segment: 25
PDQ: $5883

We will be flying one more time between LAX and Japan:
  • LAX - NRT
  • NRT - SFO - LAX
I thought we could buy the upgrade for the leg SFO - LAX ($137 per person) but according to the customer support, it's not possible to only upgrade for one leg.

On my side I'm Premier 1K if that could help her...?

Any advice on how to approach this?

She will be flying way more next year so getting the Gold status would definitively be nice for her.

Thanks!
just buy a round trip or one-way to SAN after she returns to LA. You do not want her to take any chance. Unless you are a MMer soon, she has to earn the status by herself.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Originally Posted by Kmxu

just buy a round trip or one-way to SAN after she returns to LA. You do not want her to take any chance. Unless you are a MMer soon, she has to earn the status by herself.
I agree, she should just buy a simple short trip and take it same day.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 9:09 pm

Would it be possible for her to purchase E+ on one or more segments?
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:43 am

Thanks for your inputs! Unfortunately my wife isn't excited of doing a Mileage Run... As it comes to the economy plus, we will already be flying Eco+ for free because of my status. I had a brief call with customer support and they told me they could grant an exception (once every 5 years they told me....) so that's maybe my best option.

Also, I'm considering to upgrade our fare class ($261 each) to be able to use a GPU to fly to Narita. However, the GPU will be on a waitlist so there is no guarantee that this will be money well spent for me... I see 13 United Polaris seats available and the following fare classes. Should I take a chance?
  • J9
  • JN9
  • C9
  • D9
  • Z9
  • ZN9
  • P9
  • PN7
  • PZ0
  • IN0
  • I0
  • Y9
  • YN9
  • B9
  • M9
  • E9
  • U9
  • H9
  • HN9
  • Q9
  • V9
  • W9
  • S4
  • T1
  • L0
  • K0
  • G0
  • N9
  • XN0
  • X0
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by maverickar15
Ended up booking a flight that was ~$1100 to cover for 8100 PQM and 450 PQD to keep Gold. I didn't fly much this year and going to be dropping from Plat...

E+/SDC is good too but especially *A gold track and international lounge access is nice to have for us since we visit Japan at least twice a year... my wife loves those ANA lounges.

Still, probably not worth $1100. I feel like I'm messed up in the head after booking the flight
4 R/T E+ seats (at booking) to NRT almost justifies it alone.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, I'm considering to upgrade our fare class ($261 each) to be able to use a GPU to fly to Narita. However, the GPU will be on a waitlist so there is no guarantee that this will be money well spent for me... I see 13 United Polaris seats available and the following fare classes. Should I take a chance?
PN7 is a good sign for the possibility of confirmable upgrade space opening (1K upgrades clear into PZ class).

If you can get the change fee waived, so that it's just $261 each, I think the question is whether or not the benefit for your wife reaching Gold are worth $522. It probably comes down to how often she flies without you, basically. If you don't feel it's worth it if the upgrade is waitlisted, keep checking the flight and look for PZ space. (Make sure you're checking just for the overwater leg, BTW; don't search NRT-SFO-LAX, but rather NRT-SFO).
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
PN7 is a good sign for the possibility of confirmable upgrade space opening (1K upgrades clear into PZ class).

If you can get the change fee waived, so that it's just $261 each, I think the question is whether or not the benefit for your wife reaching Gold are worth $522. It probably comes down to how often she flies without you, basically. If you don't feel it's worth it if the upgrade is waitlisted, keep checking the flight and look for PZ space. (Make sure you're checking just for the overwater leg, BTW; don't search NRT-SFO-LAX, but rather NRT-SFO).
Thanks, very useful information!

So if If the leg shows availability in the PZ class, this would guarantee my GPU to clear? Do you know where I can find more information on the different classes?

Gold doesn't justify to spend an extra $522 but if we can push her to Gold and we manage to fly Polaris to Japan, that would be a sweet deal.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, very useful information!

So if If the leg shows availability in the PZ class, this would guarantee my GPU to clear? Do you know where I can find more information on the different classes?
Happy to help.

Yes; if you see PZ2 or higher, your GPUs should clear on that leg at the time they're applied.

There are a couple of relevant board threads:

Decoding the alphabet soup - fare buckets for UA
Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Good luck.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA *G, Marriot Platinum
Need ~$700 PQD for Gold - Worth It?

I came up a little short on work travel this year and found myself needing about 3K miles and $700 to maintain Gold. I really don't want to slip to Silver, but also catch myself wondering if Gold is worth it. I have taken advantage of free SDC's a few times this year, which has been nice, and I may take an international trip next year, so the international lounge access will be a nice perk. I also know I was upgraded a few times this year that I wouldn't have been as Silver - in reality probably not worth much for domestic travel, although I do enjoy the extra space, a refreshing beverage or six, and making faces at the people seated in the back of the plane as they walk by. I also feel extra important being allowed to board in Group 1 now. But, before I book a ticket to an exotic destination later this month, I wanted to do a quick gut-check with the experts. Also, ideas for the most efficient way to achieve the needed PQMs & Ds are welcomed.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by UAmilehighflyer
I came up a little short on work travel this year and found myself needing about 3K miles and $700 to maintain Gold. I really don't want to slip to Silver, but also catch myself wondering if Gold is worth it. I have taken advantage of free SDC's a few times this year, which has been nice, and I may take an international trip next year, so the international lounge access will be a nice perk. I also know I was upgraded a few times this year that I wouldn't have been as Silver - in reality probably not worth much for domestic travel, although I do enjoy the extra space, a refreshing beverage or six, and making faces at the people seated in the back of the plane as they walk by. I also feel extra important being allowed to board in Group 1 now. But, before I book a ticket to an exotic destination later this month, I wanted to do a quick gut-check with the experts. Also, ideas for the most efficient way to achieve the needed PQMs & Ds are welcomed.
Ironically I think $700 is worth it for Gold. I assume you are DEN based given your name, but look at options out of COS as well.

Also, welcome to FT!
8MiHi likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Yes I think it is worth it for two big reasons:
1) E+ at booking
2) SDC

And obviously *G when traveling internationally is very nice. I'd go for it, personally.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:33 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Yes it is worth it. Especially when you add in the first class baggage allowance. The last two years we did a buy up near the end of the year to get the miles need for Gold. It was easier and cheaper for us than flying the actual miles.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
If you clear upgrades as a Gold (ever) that easily tips the scales to making it worth it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.