1.5x PQM for P fare?

Old Sep 16, 18, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
That is crazy. This whole fare class thing drives the reality of the flying experience and United continues to hide and screw it up so that you can't tell what is happening.

So is one a P fare and one a some kind of P made up from a Y cabin fare? 58 versus 926 a UA versus Continental thing?

The P fare multiple seemed like an elegant way for UA to give higher than flown status to people that pay for higher priced tickets. Fly P fares on a few overseas flights for over 50k BIS and make 1K. Really kind of a poor-mans GS because if your company will pay for P, you can use your GPUs for personal use.

I don't know how common it is, but my company buys Y and I'll come back and go with the higher F class fare as a change. Seems like that isn't that uncommon here.
Old Sep 16, 18, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by PushingTin View Post
That is crazy. This whole fare class thing drives the reality of the flying experience and United continues to hide and screw it up so that you can't tell what is happening.

So is one a P fare and one a some kind of P made up from a Y cabin fare? 58 versus 926 a UA versus Continental thing?
The two flights are literally identical in terms of equipment, fare component being priced, etc. It's beyond me that the website is even capable of doing that with the PQM, but it's an awfully strong hint that this is not intended behavior.
Old Sep 16, 18, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, *G, Marriott Plat
I'll wait until UA says they're doing something different with P fares before I wholly trust there is a change.

But I will say, that if they do switch to 1.5PQM I'm going to switch all my international travel (which is nearly all my flights) to Star Alliance carriers and only fly 4 segments on UA / year.
Old Sep 16, 18, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by warrenw View Post
I'll wait until UA says they're doing something different with P fares before I wholly trust there is a change.

But I will say, that if they do switch to 1.5PQM I'm going to switch all my international travel (which is nearly all my flights) to Star Alliance carriers and only fly 4 segments on UA / year.
If UA changes their deepest discount business fare back to 150% -- in line with what it used to be -- you'll switch all of your flying to airlines that only offer 100%?

I mean, it's your prerogative, but I don't get the point.

If -- and it's a big if -- UA is downgrading a business class fare bucket to 150%, they'd do the same for the matching buckets on the JV partners, so it's not like you'd be able to get 200% by flying P fares on NH.

Or, it's just a mistake, since so far the charts still say 200% and nobody has actually had any post at 150%.

The P fare multiple seemed like an elegant way for UA to give higher than flown status to people that pay for higher priced tickets
P is not a higher priced ticket. P is the deepest discount business class / domestic first class fare they have, and it's often cheaper than many economy fares that offer 150% or even 100%.

I mean, yes, it's normally higher than the cheapest available economy class ticket, but (a) not everybody buys the cheapest available ticket and (b) a P fare purchased 180 days in advance can easily be more expensive than the cheapest economy fare available 180 minutes in advance.
Old Sep 16, 18, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, *G, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
If UA changes their deepest discount business fare back to 150% -- in line with what it used to be -- you'll switch all of your flying to airlines that only offer 100%?

I mean, it's your prerogative, but I don't get the point.
In short, yes.

Let's use an example. I live in Asia right, so say I'm flying to the states and back. I can either fly the 787 on UA with a 2-2-2 and get 150% PQM, or I can fly EVA on a 1-2-1 for 100% for the same price and have a much better experience... Or I can fly SQ for a tad more, albeit at 100%, or I can fly NH. At least in my area all of these are priced relatively the same so if there's a difference in earnings I chalk it up to being worth the hit if the service / experience / seat is that much better. Just my 2 cents.

Edit: what made P fares attractive were the 200% earnings... Don't see the point as much if it's lowered.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Sep 16, 18, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by warrenw View Post
Edit: what made P fares attractive were the 200% earnings... Don't see the point as much if it's lowered.
As I said, it's your prerogative. On an ICN-SFO-FAT RT, you're talking about 6158 PQM (18474 vs 24,632). I don't think the extra 6K PQDs would change my behavior -- if I preferred the non-UA flights, I think I'd just take them. If I needed the extra PQMs, I'd just do a mileage run somewhere.
Old Sep 16, 18, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
I fly UA to get 1K to get GPUs to get lay flat TATL/TPAC flights. If my TPAC/TATL flights are lay flat, I really don't care who I fly. My company doesn't pay for it, so this is the model I use. Sure, I'd like all the miles in one system. Sure, I'd like higher status for higher multiples. I'm all about the layflats and my cheap ... company. Being a million miler in a few years would be nice for when I (if I) retire.
Old Sep 18, 18, 12:06 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
Originally Posted by swiftaw View Post
And now its back to showing 2x again.
And now it's back to 1.5x again, it's like a yoyo.
mrt88 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 18, 12:46 am

I had to shell up the bucks for a P class ticket because work travels were greatly reduced this year and I still wanted to make 1K. It was a great fare so it was basically double the price for double the PQMs. For me, it is a big time saver - just one TPAC mileage run instead of 2.

When I was younger, I thought I would have "made it" if I ever paid for a business ticket Knowing the existence of P really opened my eyes. In my retirement, I will have the flexibility (and hopefully the money) to buy P tickets for 2-3 international travels a year, who cares about status? I might just start thinking this way and forget about 1K for 2020.
Old Sep 18, 18, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
They just pulled all but one of the P fares from SFO-IAD. Unsure if a mistake or a sign of things to come.. but it is starting to feel like they might want to re-purpose P for PE.
Old Sep 18, 18, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Amex Plat, UA Club Card, National EE, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Angry

Originally Posted by findark View Post
They just pulled all but one of the P fares from SFO-IAD. Unsure if a mistake or a sign of things to come.. but it is starting to feel like they might want to re-purpose P for PE.
That would be a huge devaluation unless they drop prices of Z fare class.
Old Sep 18, 18, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hokiebuy View Post
That would be a huge devaluation unless they drop prices of Z fare class.
Which is exactly what they'd do. They're not going to eliminate an entire category of fares just because of a change to their inventory algorithm.

If they thought they could sell every seat at a Z price, they'd already be doing that.
Old Sep 18, 18, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As mentioned, they dropped the matching fare for Z from V to S a little while back. For SFO-IAD they did just delete the P fares without touching anything else, but unless this is mirrored on any other routes it's too early to say much of anything. If it weren't for all this speculation, I would already be confident it's just a glitch and they'll be back tomorrow. We've seen worse, like SFO-LIH having only full-full F at $9,800 each way.
jsloan and mrt88 like this.
Old Sep 18, 18, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K mm / AA EXPPlat / Marriott Lifetime Plat , Hilton Diamond (dropping to gold for 2017)
Iíve had 2 recent p fares show pre-flight as 150%. Both posted as 200% when they credited. I ignore the calculator....too often glitchy
Old Sep 18, 18, 10:28 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
Originally Posted by swiftaw View Post
And now it's back to 1.5x again, it's like a yoyo.
My last post on this, but I just noticed it's back up to 2x again, I'm now pretty sure its a technical glitch

Search this Thread
Search Engine: