1.5x PQM for P fare?

Old Aug 31, 18, 8:57 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.4MM UC | Bonvoy Plat | Hertz 5*PC
I flew 3 P fares this week domestically and they all credited at 2x. Until someone reports this crediting at 1.5x I am going to remain optimistic that this is just a website glitch (not like its a stretch that this could happen). Meanwhile, for those up-thread that speculated on P fares getting cheaper, my travel patterns are super consistent year-to-year and I am currently running ~15% ahead of my PQD last year (on pace for $42K this year up from $36K last year) with a very similar P/A/Z fare mix. If anything, I think my average P fare out to the west coast has been harder to come by/more expensive than in years prior but certainly they haven't been cheaper.
Old Sep 14, 18, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA 1k
This had gone away for me for a while and now it is showing up again since yesterday, hmm...

Maybe PE deployment related changes?
Old Sep 15, 18, 1:17 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
Originally Posted by mrt88 View Post
This had gone away for me for a while and now it is showing up again since yesterday, hmm...

Maybe PE deployment related changes?
Yeah, my January flights were showing 2x a few days ago and now are showing 1.5x. Hopefully just a glitch.
Old Sep 15, 18, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by swiftaw View Post

Yeah, my January flights were showing 2x a few days ago and now are showing 1.5x. Hopefully just a glitch.
mine are showing 2x. Weird.
Old Sep 15, 18, 8:59 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.4MM UC | Bonvoy Plat | Hertz 5*PC
I do think this may be PE related or something. I am also noticing that my regular routes in Oct/Nov are offering only C and D fare classes for "discount first". Historically I have only had to book maybe 1-2 of those a year with 99% of my travel in A/Z/P. These are all hub<>hub routes. Makes me worried that there is going to be a PQM/fare class shift broadly.
Old Sep 15, 18, 9:05 am

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
I just checked a trip already booked for June 2019
LAX-EWR shows 3,681 PQM
EWR-LAX shows 4,908 PQM

Both are P fares and exact same $
Old Sep 15, 18, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LIH View Post
I do think this may be PE related or something. I am also noticing that my regular routes in Oct/Nov are offering only C and D fare classes for "discount first". Historically I have only had to book maybe 1-2 of those a year with 99% of my travel in A/Z/P. These are all hub<>hub routes. Makes me worried that there is going to be a PQM/fare class shift broadly.
It's likely you're just running into inventory constraints. Likely, those flights have sold better than projections, so they're tightening up inventory to see what sells. Domestic F fares are sold on a differential basis, so tight inventory in either cabin will result in higher F fares.

Originally Posted by Phil Level View Post
I just checked a trip already booked for June 2019
LAX-EWR shows 3,681 PQM
EWR-LAX shows 4,908 PQM

Both are P fares and exact same $
Obviously there's a glitch that's coming and going w.r.t. the display of P earnings. There are two logical hypotheses -- UA plans to stop awarding 200% for discount business class, or UA plans to use P as a P+ fare class, and P+ will earn 150%. Note that I'm not suggesting they'd downgrade current reservations -- they won't. Rather, they may remap existing P tickets into Z.

I don't think we have enough information yet to figure which of these two is more likely.
Old Sep 15, 18, 12:40 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
It's likely you're just running into inventory constraints. Likely, those flights have sold better than projections, so they're tightening up inventory to see what sells. Domestic F fares are sold on a differential basis, so tight inventory in either cabin will result in higher F fares.

Obviously there's a glitch that's coming and going w.r.t. the display of P earnings. There are two logical hypotheses -- UA plans to stop awarding 200% for discount business class, or UA plans to use P as a P+ fare class, and P+ will earn 150%. Note that I'm not suggesting they'd downgrade current reservations -- they won't. Rather, they may remap existing P tickets into Z.

I don't think we have enough information yet to figure which of these two is more likely.
Question: if they remap existing P tickets into Z and they don't sell anymore P fare business class (P fare will be PE), will they slightly reduce the price of the Z fare? I see there goes the only chances I had to purchase outright a Business Class ticket. This year, out of 5 international trips, I managed to get P fares on 2. The rest I had to rely on hypothetical upgrades. Z fares are way out of my reach.
Old Sep 15, 18, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StuckinITH View Post
Question: if they remap existing P tickets into Z and they don't sell anymore P fare business class (P fare will be PE), will they slightly reduce the price of the Z fare?
They're still going to have to compete on price, which means that they'll need to make fares available at the same price points. If they were to do this, you'd likely find Z fares at the old P prices.
StuckinITH likes this.
Old Sep 15, 18, 12:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Has anyone had a P fare post at 150%?
Old Sep 15, 18, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by LIH View Post
I've noticed a very recent shift in the choice of differential premium rbds for domestic flights. It used to be

W and below -> P
V to H -> Z
Y to U -> A

Now appears to be

T and below -> P
V to S -> Z
U to Q -> D
Y to E -> C

Somewhere in between, they were shadowing the fares with $100 higher -K- (in 7th position) fares that booked into C/D instead of A/Z, which were more permissive buckets. The K series still exists, but has the same booking code scheme means that the fares are mostly meaningless. It's a little light on information to speculate here, but I would guess that they're going the way of AA and moving to selling domestic First on a JCDZP scale and FAO are getting retired. Given the significant overlap between J and C at the moment, I could even see it go to JCDZ to free up P, but who knows.

Third option is that some other fare classes are going to be PE, but there is still a copy of the old PQM table somewhere in the codebase and they accidentally pointed some code at it

You laugh, but somewhere on a United server there remains an image of CO "Elite Access" signage.
LIH likes this.
Old Sep 15, 18, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark View Post
Third option is that some other fare classes are going to be PE, but there is still a copy of the old PQM table somewhere in the codebase and they accidentally pointed some code at it

You laugh, but somewhere on a United server there remains an image of CO "Elite Access" signage.
I'm not laughing -- that's a completely valid third option that I hadn't considered. Although, presumably the PE changes somehow led to this being exposed.
Old Sep 15, 18, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
They're still going to have to compete on price, which means that they'll need to make fares available at the same price points. If they were to do this, you'd likely find Z fares at the old P prices.
On many of the routes I check, DL is often much cheaper than UA in F even today depending on your flexibility with AA sometimes less, sometimes more. If UA moves too high, we know where the paid premium traffic will go since DL is very aggressive at selling out F vs giving away upgrades.
Old Sep 16, 18, 6:25 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
Originally Posted by swiftaw View Post

And now its back to showing 2x again.
Old Sep 16, 18, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold
You can't beat this on inconsistency. Same day, two different UA flights, different multiplier. (2x on the top, 1.5x in the bottom)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: