Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1.5x PQM for P fare?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:56 am

If this is indeed a new policy it will certainly inhibit my future purchase of UA P fares unless they are extremely good deals. Maybe that's it-they're lowering P fares so they have to lower the PQM earning rate (unlikely in the extreme).
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:01 pm

I can kind of understand why they'd want to lower the PQM earning on P fares. Think about it for just a second, those flying in discount P are earning the same milage as those flying in regular fare C,D,J,Z fares! My prediction is P will lower to 150%, normal and full fare first/business will remain at current levels (i.e. 200% and 300%). Here's to hoping UA doesn't pull an AC and lower PQM accrual for deep discount Y fares. That was one of the reasons why I choose UA over OZ and A3 for milage accrual.

-James
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by j2simpso
I can kind of understand why they'd want to lower the PQM earning on P fares. Think about it for just a second, those flying in discount P are earning the same milage as those flying in regular fare C,D,J,Z fares! My prediction is P will lower to 150%, normal and full fare first/business will remain at current levels (i.e. 200% and 300%). Here's to hoping UA doesn't pull an AC and lower PQM accrual for deep discount Y fares. That was one of the reasons why I choose UA over OZ and A3 for milage accrual.

-James
Low earnings on discount Y was the main reason I couldn't get anything above OW Ruby when my allegiance was with JAL.

With UA, I've been able to abuse bargain-basement fares for PQMs, which is really the only reason (combined with P-fare availability) that I was able to get this far...

It always seemed too good to be true. P fares on NH accrue just 70% after all, while L,K fares accrue 30%.
If this P fare enhancement is followed by other changes, it looks like my future life as 1K will be very short-lived...
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Think about it for just a second, those flying in discount P are earning the same milage as those flying in regular fare C,D,J,Z fares!
And those flying in M are earning the same as those flying in G. PQMs aren't even an accounting fiction; they're a marketing fiction. They can make them whatever they want them to be. Logic needn't apply. One of the LH-group airlines -- I think it was OS -- will earn 0 PQMs on P fares.

Keep in mind, the 200/300% earning chart is new within the last few years. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see UA adjust it downward if they feel that it's served its purpose. It's already more generous than Delta. (It does match AA).
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
. It's already more generous than Delta. (It does match AA).
And we all know copying AA is a winning strategy am I right Mr.Kirby

-James
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K
This has to be a website/IT error given all the rollout issues with the new site. Various MP data displays have always been weird, though. Lufthansa Cityline always reads "ineligible," the amounts of miles shown in different places aren't as promised, etc. etc.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by symphonicman
This has to be a website/IT error given all the rollout issues with the new site. Various MP data displays have always been weird, though. Lufthansa Cityline always reads "ineligible," the amounts of miles shown in different places aren't as promised, etc. etc.
That's my other theory here since UA will presumably be introducing new fare codes for PE in the coming months as the service launches. Presumably PE fares will have a different accrual than the G fares I normally buy (one would only hope!)

-James
Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Keep in mind, the 200/300% earning chart is new within the last few years. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see UA adjust it downward if they feel that it's served its purpose. It's already more generous than Delta. (It does match AA).
PQM may be more restrictive than DL/AA. But both DL and AA allow earning PQD on partner airlines on non-006/001 tickets which UA doesn't. If UA lowers earning for P fares, I hope to see PQD earning on non-016 tickets.
windhund likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
That's my other theory here since UA will presumably be introducing new fare codes for PE in the coming months as the service launches. Presumably PE fares will have a different accrual than the G fares I normally buy (one would only hope!)

-James
For some reason, I was hoping that the PE fare would earn 150% PQMs. But if the P fares are going to earn that, then I doubt PE will do.

When I was flying PE on BA, I was getting more of those points counting for status than Economy (and obviously less than Business). The TODs (or whatever it is called there) were also giving additional points counting for status.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Nothing has changed on the website. While I could easily see PY earning 150% and discounted PY earning 100%, I can't see discounted business earning 150% when full fare business is earning 300%. Also to correct an error upthread about NH, P class on NH earns 200% not 70%.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Nothing has changed on the website. While I could easily see PY earning 150% and discounted PY earning 100%, I can't see discounted business earning 150% when full fare business is earning 300%. Also to correct an error upthread about NH, P class on NH earns 200% not 70%.
Sorry if I was unclear - P class earns 70% in NH's program.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Remember that United is free and clear to change the MileagePlus earnings charts AT ANY TIME and make them effective immediately or at any point in the future. Whatever your receipt says is not a guarantee of earning that PQM. But I'm sure if you complained to UA that you booked the flights with the expectation of earning 2x PQM that they would manually credit your account.

If UA is going to change the earnings of P fares from 200% to 150% PQM then I would expect an announcement soon. It likely would be effective January 1.

-RM
Old Aug 29, 2018, 5:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I believe it reflects a conscious shift on UA's part. They want the 4 TPAC in J per year flyer as 1K (who will spend $15k plus, even on Ps), not the guy spends $5k flying 120k miles in deep discount economy.

Originally Posted by symphonicman
This has to be a website/IT error given all the rollout issues with the new site.
That would be my conclusion. UA's not going to change earnings without changing the earnings' chart.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 5:29 pm

Programs: BA EC gold UA gold—MM Hilton Diamond Hertz Presidents Circle
Thumbs down 1.5x PQM for P fare

Another data point---looking at LHR/SFO P fares next May different PQM (1.5 or 2.0) were shown on the same day depending on which non stop I was reviewing but there was no consistency (1.5 for P on early flight one day 2.0 for the same flight the next day)!! Looks like a tech problem at this stage
Old Aug 29, 2018, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
They want the 4 TPAC in J per year flyer as 1K (who will spend $15k plus, even on Ps), not the guy spends $5k flying 120k miles in deep discount economy..
As some one who spends $1,600 in PQD every year to re-qualify as UA Gold, I find that insulting! I've got the battle scars of long layovers and awkward routings to earn that right!

-James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.