Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United serves meat in wrongly marked veggie sandwiches

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:26 am
Original Poster

NIDSDEL can we connect pls share you email id, I had a similar incident I'm a strict vegetarian by hindu religion I have not had single bite or touched meat in 33 years of my life till today.

In United Airline, I was offered "veggie" sandwich which had meat inside.
Once I took a bite of it I realised something is wrong to which my husband checked all other "veggie" sandwiches with the airline and all of them had meat in it.
The entire lot was marked "veggie" with meat in it.
I'm aghast and cant get over that this happened with me and ruined my 33 years of devotion, this is just not acceptable from a reputed airline like United.
I'm not able to eat anything I'm disgusted and in trauma because of the feeling of meat in my mouth.
My holy religious sentiments have been hurt and united should not be forgiven for this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 28, 2018 at 1:08 am Reason: Moved from LH forum
Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:40 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by shrutijindal
NIDSDEL can we connect pls share you email id, I had a similar incident I'm a strict vegetarian by hindu religion I have not had single bite or touched meat in 33 years of my life till today.

Once I took a bite of it I realised something is wrong to which my husband checked all other "veggie" sandwiches with the airline and all of them had meat in it.
I'm aghast and cant get over that this happened with me and ruined my 33 years of devotion, this is just not acceptable from a reputed airline like United.
I'm not able to eat anything I'm disgusted and in trauma because of the feeling of meat in my mouth.
My holy religious sentiments have been hurt and united should not be forgiven for this.
Said user hasn't been online for over 4 years: The whole thread was posted five years ago.
If this whole incident bothers you so much I suggest you complain directly with the airline, maybe they will offer a compensation. What kinda bothers me is that the sanwhich was incorrectly marked.

Last edited by Nick Art; Aug 23, 2018 at 10:45 am
Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:44 pm

Not the end of the world ...
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by weero
But isn't it a huge additional amount of work for the aircon?

Maybe I am biased but even on a packed Asiana flight that thing had to pump for nearly an hour to have the "lunch atmosphere" expelled. I imagine it being even more difficult on a narrowbody.
Honestly, never thought about this issue, no clue if it is a concern, but I've never had an issue on narrow body intra-India flights . IIRC, TK also did a good meal service on a very short intra-Turkey narrow body. My point is that it can be done and done well if the airline wants to and decides it makes economic sense.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:57 pm

And hurt feelings or not, why on earth is the story about this meat-containing vegetarian sandwich served on a United flight reported in this Lufthansa thread?
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:00 am

Programs: LX SEN

Cmon! United made the mistake. You took a bite without knowing it was meat. You had no intent to do anything prohibited by your religion, and your 33-year devotion remains unaffected, irrespective of United's mistakes. Also remember that, mistakes aside, United's wings kill several hundreds live creatures while flying up to midair.

Let's pray that United mechanics are more diligent than United caterers and that they do not label chewing gum as being electrical fuses.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:01 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze

Well, in my books "veggie" sandwich does not equal to "vegetarian" sandwich... Nor to "vegan" sandwich... "Veggie" sandwich means sandwich made with vegies (vegetables), but does not mean "strictly" vegetarian...

I would recommend to anyone who wants to be on strictly religious/restricted diet that they do not trust airlines or rely on them and bring their own food... Of course, if it is even possible with nowadays restrictions to everything...
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:56 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by KLouis
And hurt feelings or not, why on earth is the story about this meat-containing vegetarian sandwich served on a United flight reported in this Lufthansa thread?
Duly split off and moved to the United MP forum for further perusal.

Regards Oliver2002
Mod LH M&M forum
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:16 am

they should label their sandwiches correctly.
cmdinnyc likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 28, 2018 at 1:28 am Reason: high inappropriate comments; FT Rule 12.2
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Originally Posted by eric.chen3742
they should label their sandwiches correctly.
They made a mistake, mistakes happen.

No one is questioning the OP's devotion to their meat free lifestyle, but come on seriously? Seriously offended? It's not the end of the world.

Queue up the, 'how much compensation is reasonable for this' comments in 3 2 1.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by vbroucek
Well, in my books "veggie" sandwich does not equal to "vegetarian" sandwich... Nor to "vegan" sandwich... "Veggie" sandwich means sandwich made with vegies (vegetables), but does not mean "strictly" vegetarian...

I would recommend to anyone who wants to be on strictly religious/restricted diet that they do not trust airlines or rely on them and bring their own food... Of course, if it is even possible with nowadays restrictions to everything...
I think it is completely reasonable to believe that "veggie" = "no meat" in a sandwich. Aside from mislabels, I have never seen otherwise.

But I also agree that people with strict dietary needs should not rely on airlines for food.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Mislabeling the food is a serious issue with so many people allergic to various things these days. (I'll leave the OMNI P/R bit alone. It's clear that the OP in this case was uninjured by the sandwich.)

United should get this part right. I am a meatetarian, and I would assume that something marked as "veggie" did not contain meat.
chrisny2 and cmdinnyc like this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Could you provide a little bit more information on where you were traveling? Did you order a special meal? (Not all flights offer special meals, and Hindu vegetarian is a standard meal choice on flights to/from India, but this doesn't sound like a Hindu meal). You can read about United's special meal policy here: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...g/special.html
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
, this is just not acceptable from a reputed airline like United.
Well this identifies the issue, you have to adjust your assumptions when flying United. United is an airline with management who does not care about the customer experience, and preventing mistakes like this is hard.

I am sure all of the vegi meals are made in a regular kitchen. Probably the only meal that is actually "pure" is the Kosher meal, and of course that has meat in it at times. If you have strict religious views, I would not eat any US airline's food...
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:57 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The buy on board menu doesn't seem to have a 'veggie' sandwich: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...nomy/menu.aspx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.