Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO-SIN in Business - should i fly UA or Singapore..?

SFO-SIN in Business - should i fly UA or Singapore..?

Old Aug 31, 2018, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by krispykrme

what does this have to do with SQ J class?
Quite possibly alot of you consider lounge part of your overall experience. I know people who book LH F just so they can boast they tried the FCT!

-James
Old Sep 1, 2018, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Quite possibly alot of you consider lounge part of your overall experience.
The KrisFlyer Gold lounge is not the lounge for SQ J passengers, though. It's the lounge for *A Gold passengers. SQ J/F passengers would be in the SilverKris J/F lounges.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Originally Posted by jgreen1024
Every time someone tells me how wonderful SQ is, I'll point out the KrisFlyer Gold lounge in SIN (where I happen to be sitting right now). It doesn't even have restrooms, and the whole place smells of fryer oil. I had the nerve to fly into SIN in J, but am flying out in Y, so this is the lounge I'm stuck with.
If you fly SQ J you'll never see that place.

Krisflyer Gold Lounge is for folks flying economy.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 4:52 am

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Originally Posted by krispykrme

1. UA current business class seat in 789 is bad. Narrow and you either have to step over someone or have someone step over you.

2. Food and service- SQ is way better than UA.

1. This is not the case at all. I have always been able to secure a center seat. Its 2-2-2. IF you are in the center there is no climbing over anyone. There is plenty space for your feet and the seat has great cushioning. Couples usually pick the sides so centers always seem open.

2. UA food is absolutely disgusting. SQ food is better but who really cares... You are going to Singapore! Eat when you get there.

Last edited by aero0729; Sep 4, 2018 at 5:00 am
Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by OpenSky
If you fly SQ J you'll never see that place.

Krisflyer Gold Lounge is for folks flying economy.
SilverKris Lounge is pretty nice, no smell of "fryer oil" there. I guess had you reversed your tickets and had flown F on the return you would have access to the SilverKris lounge.

I suspect this has been stated above in the thread, while I prefer SQ to SIN from SFO your $$ spent will NOT apply to potential GS status. I learned that the hard way a few years back when I traveled to SIN for business multiple times a year and thought getting GS status was going to be no problem for me until I discovered that it is based on dollars spent on UA metal ONLY and not *A as well.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 1:45 pm
tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
Originally Posted by tht
Not seeing that from EWR, last trip I booked SQ was probably close to to $2/3k more than the UA flight I booked.
So I had to make this choice last week.. for my dates (Sunday after Thanksgiving) it ended up being a non choice, can’t believe I would ever say this but UA (mostly code share options on ANA) were almost 2x the price of SQ for NYC-SIN in C.

So I booked SQ JFK-FRA-SIN(A380)-EWR(A350ULR). The timing was also much better as I leave Sunday PM, return early Sat AM and only have 3 hotel nights and get 4 full days in SIN. I’m kind of worried that I won’t want to go back to UA to keep 1K... from my previous experience with SQ C, that said having been in the Kris Flyer Silver lounge, FRA LH FCT and EWR Polaris lounge in the last 3 months.... UA really has done a great job! While dedicated security, personal assistant and Porsche transfer were great, I found the shower in EWR newer and with better products and the cocktails to be better executed at the PL than FCT.

So now I need to figure out miles, I need to double check my numbers but I believe that if I post this trip to UA it will put me over 150k PQM, so an extra 2GPU/2RPU. But I had these expire last year and likely will this year so not sure of the value. What are my chances of finding 4R seats both ways somewhere I can take Mrs tht and 2x mini tht now the youngest will need his own seat. I guess I need to ask on the SQ forrum but I signed up to Kris Flyer and it seems like I can get PPS credit for spend even if I credit RDM to UA. Would I need to add the Kris Flyer number to see upgrades to F, I can transfer the miles needed from Chase SR.

Any advise ?

Old Sep 16, 2018, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Kind of strange how SQ screwed up the A350 seat comfort as some point out here. I wonder if this is more of a regional taste / people size thing? For example, westerners tend to like softer fluffy beds in hotels but Asians like them firmer?

Sometimes I would over look less-than-perfect hardware for more reliable/consistent service. For example, I think the NH 77W is not nearly as nice as Polaris but the thought of inconsistent service and sometimes even rude FAs on UA would push me to NH even though it means losing the lifetime miles.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by username
K
Sometimes I would over look less-than-perfect hardware for more reliable/consistent service. For example, I think the NH 77W is not nearly as nice as Polaris but the thought of inconsistent service and sometimes even rude FAs on UA would push me to NH even though it means losing the lifetime miles.
Just out of curiosity how does the NH F service compare to UA Polaris First? I hear that NH has pods in F!

-James
Old Sep 16, 2018, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j2simpso

Just out of curiosity how does the NH F service compare to UA Polaris First? I hear that NH has pods in F!

-James
I don't know. I was in J and there is really no new "Polaris First" cabin on UA anyway.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 6:21 pm

Programs: None anymore
My vote is for SQ, especially if you're not worried about PQD.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:12 pm
tht

Kind of strange how SQ screwed up the A350 seat comfort as some point out here. I wonder if this is more of a regional taste / people size thing? For example, westerners tend to like softer fluffy beds in hotels but Asians like them firmer?

what do you mean by Polaris, on this route, most likely none of the this trip on UA would have been on the new hard product, most likely it would have been a 757 and 787 with the same old CO style seat. Will be interesting to compare, have flown Polaris hard product 2x, once with full service FRA-EWR and once SFO-EWR without, my last time in SQ C was on The 777 W AKL- SIN but that was 8 years ago...
Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tht

what do you mean by Polaris, on this route, most likely none of the this trip on UA would have been on the new hard product, most likely it would have been a 757 and 787 with the same old CO style seat. Will be interesting to compare, have flown Polaris hard product 2x, once with full service FRA-EWR and once SFO-EWR without, my last time in SQ C was on The 777 W AKL- SIN but that was 8 years ago...
I doubt UA ever runs a route to SIN on a 757.

SQ keeps fiddling with C class every 4-5 years. Having to get up and physically manipulate it to a bed was a mistake on their part.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tht
I did not say it was on this route. I said "For example" and was meant to illustrate that different people value different things.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:09 am
tht

Originally Posted by uastarflyer

I doubt UA ever runs a route to SIN on a 757.

SQ keeps fiddling with C class every 4-5 years. Having to get up and physically manipulate it to a bed was a mistake on their part.
If you fly from EWR the EWR-SFO segment most likely will be, I took this flight in May and it was a 757, obviously they could no run a direct SFO-SIN on a 757 as it would only make it less than half way without refueling.
I did not say it was on this route. I said "For example" and was meant to illustrate that different people value different things.
I see, I just assumed you were talking about SIN-SFO because of the threat title. Will be interesting to compare myself, as you say everyone has their own preference. I guess I will fly 2 different SQ seats since I will take a A380 out and A350-ULR back. But agree it’s about the whole package, not just the seat. e.g. on the return the main driver was a better departure and arrival time, and remiving the chance of a misconnect in SFO.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 17, 2018 at 1:25 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 1, 2018, 7:40 am
tht

Just got back from a SQ A380 JFK-FRA-SIN SQ A350 SIN-EWR and it was hands down better than the 4 or 5 previous SIN trips I have done on UA in the last year or 2. Miles and status aside the seat was way better for me, all isle access, more private, wider (especially on the A380 which is 1 2 1 in business and has a massive bathroom at the front left by the massive staircase to F). As others have noted I could see how this seat would be less ideal for someone tall, but at 5’8” it’s pretty much perfect. The timing on these flights is prefect, on the outbound you leave at 8pm, and have no connection worries as the aircraft continues, and you arrive at 7am ready for a full days business. On the return it’s even better. You don’t have to leave for the airport till around 10pm, and then land at 5:30am in EWR, I made a new personal best from Aircraft door to out of customs of 5 minutes and was back home in CT by 7am due to no traffic with such an early arrival, so I don’t miss my kids swim class. I plan trips based on door to door times, not flight times so this early arrival really helps. I would say that the new UA Polaris lounge beats both the Swiss lounge used at JFK and SQ lounge at Changi, especially for the showers, food and bar. SQ also gave the return flight a very far gate from the checkin terminal, which was not great, and due to so much of the plane being business they board by seat row number. With the SQ option consistency pricing at a massive discount vs. UA for my searches I now need to figure out how to reach UA 4 segment minimum to keep 1K and also how to ticket enough 016 for min spend by mixing in some EWR-FRA-BLR-SIN segments on the outbound. Also the SQ Wi-Fi offering is terrible, while you get a free pass in Business, it’s 30MB... which is tapped out in no time... the fact I can credit to UA and still get SQ PPS credit for spend is also great, so I can make status there and then have a option to move to SQ KF if I get more heavy on that route and I still have the backstop of UA / *A Gold as a MM.
margarita girl likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.