Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO-SIN in Business - should i fly UA or Singapore..?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO-SIN in Business - should i fly UA or Singapore..?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by krispykrme

Each person has his or her preference.

I don’t fly as much as other people do. But at least once a month in J with UA being my company preferred carrier. I just don’t find any of UA J seats, service, and food acceptable. I don’t fly united by choice and dreaded each flight.
As I said in my earlier post, I love flying SQ. This is my 8th consecutive year in its PPS program and I do go out of my way to fly SQ between Asia and Australia/NZ, and between EU and Southeast Asia, but I avoid the A350 on ULR because of ifs seats.

As much as you don’t like UA, I feel the same for SQ 350 seats. May be I am small build and don’t find the UA seats too narrow and have tougher time on its hard seatback in the sleeping position.

Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer

As I said in my earlier post, I love flying SQ. This is my 8th consecutive year in its PPS program and I do go out of my way to fly SQ between Asia and Australia/NZ, and between EU and Southeast Asia, but I avoid the A350 on ULR because of ifs seats.

As much as you don’t like UA, I feel the same for SQ 350 seats. May be I am small build and don’t find the UA seats too narrow and have tougher time on its hard seatback in the sleeping position.
That is why I said it’s personal preference.

i am chubby. So every time I am in UA seat, I feel like I am in a coffin. That is also why I hate the new SQA380 seat.
UA_Flyer likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by krispykrme
UA lounge in HKG is one of the very best in UA system. SQ lounge has improved after remodeling.

i think NH lounge in Tokyo is the best one I like. Air China Shenzhen lounge is quiet nice. Especially if you can get private sleeping room.
N.B. I was in HKG around mid-June (unsure how recent the remodel was done).

Agreed about the NH lounge! I had a few connections at NRT and found the NH lounge had a well stocked and squeaky clean shower, an excellent ramen, food and drinks bar and a sleeping lounge (with black out curtains). As someone who primarily flies Y, especially for long haul, this *Gold lounge is a real diamond in the rough! As for UCs, the DOM ones aren't great. I was peeved (to say the least) after coming off a 13+ hour flight from NRT only to find that the UC at EWR no longer has showers! The only redeeming quality to the UC is that the breakfast spread is decent. I think HNL holds the record for worst UC in my book - who considers having only edamame to be consider respectable food spread in a lounge?

Safe Travels,

James
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:42 am

if u on your way to 1k then no choice to choose UA
otherwise no single reason , i will suggest UA
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:44 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Not if you compare the lounge situation ! I was appalled when I visited the SQ in HKG only to find there were no working showers and most of the food was going away (even though there was still another 30-45 minutes before closing). Disgusted I trekked over to the UC where they not only had working showers I used but were only beginning to put away the food and booze after I was done showering (SQ and UC lounges close at around the same time).

I'll be travelling to SIN later this year and will report back if the flagship SQ in SIN can pass muster of an INTL UC and what the SQ experience is like (flying SIN to DPS with them).

-James
All of the SQ lounges I have been into have been outstanding. Yes over all those years - almost 50 since I first flew on SQ I have had a couple of staff who were having a bad day or past their use by date, a couple of food offerings have been the same, that happens. One swallow does not make a summer. Sad that you had a bad experience once but its not the standard
Old Aug 28, 2018, 2:28 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by corbetti
I assume i earn status miles and EQD either way (i'm a UA Million Miler, have gold and on my way back to 1k this year). Any reason to pick one over the other?
The answer is SQ at every turn.

I agree with some of the other posters, if you're looking for PQD or GS, then sure UA should be in consideration. If you're looking to save money, UA is also probably the way to go, just in general I've never really found SQ to be cheaper than almost anyone else.

Yes, the seats are a little odd. This weird diagonal setup, honestly, I dunno what consultant thought this was a good idea, but they went with. They aren't uncomfortable, they're just weird imo. They're also private. If you were getting the true new polaris seats, I'd maybe give UA the nod, based on the other factors plus the seat. But trying to sleep 2-2-2 and the other inconveniences that come with it, have never appealed to me. I don't find the UA seats offer much privacy either. There's a small partition but even the middle seats in SQ IIRC have a pretty good sized divider. The window seats are very private. Add that to the service/standards of SQ, I'd much rather fly with them than with UA.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:32 am

Programs: UA 1K
I'm the odd man out here. I do not care for SQ as their silly rules such as not being able to hold a video controller during taxi/take off/landing or economy seat back pockets must be flat annoy me to no end. And I find their FAs as inflexible as their rules. I cannot fault their robotic service or meals too much though. But I'll take UA any time (& will several more times this year).
Old Aug 28, 2018, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
This is a NO BRAINER!
OpenSky likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:26 am

United.

The Singapore seats are terrible. I’m 6’2” and 190lbs and have never liked them, old or new. The A350 variant are somehow worse than before. Short, cramped, sleep angle, flip down the backrest.

No thanks SQ. You have better food and underpaid cabin crew terrified of making any mistake that may get them disciplined. Always feels like gulf coast light in that way to me. Forget about laughing with any cabin crew.
polarbears likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
I'd pick the airline offering the better price and/or schedule. If you want to earn EQD, pick United. Keep in mind United does not give EQD when flying partner airlines, unless ticketed on 016 stock which can cost much more if it's even possible to book SQ flights on 016.

I have flown both SQ and UA. Both have their pros and cons, which others have posted. In my experience, I find SQ is not as good as hyped (I consider SQ the most overrated airline), while UA is better than people give them credit for (I consider UA the most underrated airline).
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Unless you're chasing status and/or really tall but not wide it's always SQ. It's like comparing apples and umm... a Rolls-Royce.

Sure people here will nitpick on certain things like how many sq cm the footrest is and 1-2-1 vs 2-2-2. And this is an experts forum so yes that should be expected but at the end of the day they are a million miles apart even on SQ's worst day & UA's best.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by adampenrith
Yes I have flown the 350 ,The 300 the 340 the 330 the 380, the 707 and the 747 in all its variations - my fav is the older J seat - but the new one is just fine too
No 310?
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Kacee
When UA_Flyer says he prefers the UA 789 to the SQ350, that's a view I have to respect.
We have had this discussion about the UA seats before, and a LOT of it has to do with a person's size. I flew the 789 once on UA, and will not do it again. The seat is just too short for me at 6'2" I seem to recall you are 5'7" or so. Big difference. I understand that the first row has a bigger foot-well, but no way that I am going to be in the first row with the usually loud and discordant UA crews you tend to get, and I am not so hip on a window seat where I have to crawl over someone or be crawled over on.

The Polaris windows are tight in the shoulder for me, but doable. The 789, not really.

The SQ seat is wide, which is great for my wide shoulders (its 28" wide on the A350 v 22" on the UA 789) and while the bed conversion is a PITA, I would take the bigger seat and direct aisle access (and being able to see out the window vs looking at the aisle) any day of the week.

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Not if you compare the lounge situation ! I was appalled when I visited the SQ in HKG only to find there were no working showers and most of the food was going away (even though there was still another 30-45 minutes before closing). Disgusted I trekked over to the UC where they not only had working showers I used but were only beginning to put away the food and booze after I was done showering (SQ and UC lounges close at around the same time).

I'll be travelling to SIN later this year and will report back if the flagship SQ in SIN can pass muster of an INTL UC and what the SQ experience is like (flying SIN to DPS with them).

-James
I got to HKG several times a year. The SQ lounge is not great, but has much better booze and food than the UC. UC has frat party booze and the food is not so hot. Best *A option ex-HKG is the TG lounge. Best option is the Centurion Lounge (although note it only has one shower, so is a line at times) if you are not flying CX.

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
May be I am small build and don’t find the UA seats too narrow and have tougher time on its hard seatback in the sleeping position.
I think you provided the two key points. I the UA seats on the 789 are fine if you are not of larger build. My best guess is that anyone up to about 5'9" to 5'10" and about 170 lbs can fit comfortably in the 789 seat. Beyond that it gets tight. Also I don't mind a harder seat, which the SQ seats are. But then I can sleep on a futon on a tatami mat in Japan just fine.

I have learned that people's views of seats are heavily influenced by (1) their size, (2) hardness/softness, and (3) how important direct aisle access is to them.
UA_Flyer likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by spin88
We have had this discussion about the UA seats before, and a LOT of it has to do with a person's size. I flew the 789 once on UA, and will not do it again. The seat is just too short for me at 6'2" I seem to recall you are 5'7" or so. Big difference. I understand that the first row has a bigger foot-well, but no way that I am going to be in the first row with the usually loud and discordant UA crews you tend to get, and I am not so hip on a window seat where I have to crawl over someone or be crawled over on.
I don't like the UA 789s. No privacy, very little usable storage space.

But if you get a bulkhead, the seat length isn't bad. In non-bulkheads, the footwells are very restrictive.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: AY, SQ, EK
Intriguing discussion - I had UA 1K status previously. Have had SQ PPS for 6 years.

Someone above said SQ is "the most overrated airline". Not sure how big the sample size was there, as I would argue that one needs to do a reasonable amount of flying to appreciate some of the positive aspects: consistency, check-in experience (incl. outstations), gate locations, lounge arrangements etc. SQ are the best airline I've flown with - have sampled 250+ airlines over the years.

Flew UA LAX-SIN a few months ago - some thoughts:
- Check in experience is less professional vs. SQ anywhere (have come across some unhappy agents with UA over the years, but can't recall negative experiences with SQ)
- I found the seat on UA quite comfortable, but obviously privacy is not there; definitely good enough to get some sleep though - not a concern (would prefer SQ A350 / 77W / A380 in any case)
- IFE content on UA is also good
- Meal options on UA are good - I don't like anything 'strange', and US majors are pretty good at offering decent basic meal options (then again, have never had issues with SQ - quite often skip the seafood starter but that's it)
- Cabin service on UA tends to be a bit of a weakness; no complaints re this flight, but recall a couple of the crew members were quite miserable (SQ are obviously excellent on this front)

Fully appreciate that the FFP is a key reason for many people to choose UA.

I don't mind the SQ A350 J seat - perfectly fine with me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.