Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO-SIN in Business - should i fly UA or Singapore..?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k MM, AA EXP MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Avis First (oh boy)

I assume i earn status miles and EQD either way (i'm a UA Million Miler, have gold and on my way back to 1k this year). Any reason to pick one over the other?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by corbetti
I assume i earn status miles and EQD either way (i'm a UA Million Miler, have gold and on my way back to 1k this year). Any reason to pick one over the other?
SQ has better food, better services, better onboard amenity and outstanding IFE contents and overall experience.

However, it has terrible seats to sit and horrible to sleep.

I love flying SQ, but I have decided not to fly it’s A350 ULR routes due to its seats.
corbetti, eyi and IndyHoosier like this.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Aug 27, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA MP
SQ, unless you are on your way to qualify for GS
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:03 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
If you need PQD for 1K qualification, you want to stay with UA flights. Generally SQ fares cannot be plated on 016 tickets unless it's full-fare, thus no PQD will be earned.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k MM, AA EXP MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Avis First (oh boy)
i read that about the beds - kinda surprising actually. That alone will make me choose UA (food is food, but rest is key).
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
As noted, you will not be able to fly SQ and earn PQD.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:22 pm

The bulkhead seats in row 11 and (I think) 16 do not have the tiny foot cubby the other seats have. Flew row 11 SFO-SIN in row 11 and loved it.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
i read that about the beds - kinda surprising actually. That alone will make me choose UA (food is food, but rest is key).
Also check the SQ forum discussion on the A350 seats for additional reference. My personal experience is just one view. Other frequent SQ flyers have also debated on the comfort of the seats.

Just recently flew the SQ 787-10. If SQ could install a wider version of the 787 seafs In its A350 ULR aircrafts, that will definitely swing my vote to SQ.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Aug 27, 2018 at 7:40 pm
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:35 pm

From a MilagePlus perspective, you're better off with UA. Flying paid J on UA will net you 200% PQM whereas SQ will only net you 100%, which may not sound like a big deal if you're already a 1K. However, remember that you'll earn additional GPU & RPU certificates at certain milestones. In addition, you may even earn more RDM flying UA than SQ since it's a 11x the cost of the fare. Supposing the fare costs $1,000 you'll net 11,000 RDM, whereas SQ, which is based purely on distance, will only net you around 8,000 RDM (assuming 100% RDM accrual for discount business fare).

From a service perspective SFO -> SIN may be a better option since UA runs more flights out of SFO to SIN than SQ. Sure, SQ could always push you to UA if things happen, but I suspect UA will give more priority to travellers on their own metal in the first place. Lounge wise you should have access to the Polaris lounge at SFO regardless of which airline you choose.

Hope that provides some perspective.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
SQ is what I prefer in almost every sense versus United.
royng likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:46 pm

I haven't flown SQ but have flown UA's 787 on a ultra long-haul. I found the seat comfortable and got lots of sleep in it, and I'd happily fly it again. But, of course, everyone is different so YMMV.
BeanTownBoy likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
In addition to earning PQD, a paid UA J ticket will accrue way more miles (premier qualifying and redeemable) than an SQ ticket, as SQ is extremely stingy on earnings. (Though if you credit the SQ ticket to AS, the RDM earning is not bad, particularly if you have AS status.)

You can make arguments each way on which carrier has the more comfortable aircraft/seat on this route. Another SQ option to consider is SQ1/2 via HKG. That's on their 77W.

I don't think anyone disputes that SQ has a consistently better soft product (food, alcohol, service). Though I will say I had a fantastic UA crew last time I flew UA to SIN.
corbetti, findark and Brandinho1 like this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
SQ is what I prefer in almost every sense versus United.
Including the seats? I haven't flown on SQ's A350 but have other aircraft where you have to flip the seats for them to be lie flat. I found the foot cubby much too small and could never get a comfortable reclined position. For me, an uncomfortable seat trumps all other considerations combined.
corbetti likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:23 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
SQ at its worst is far better than United on its best !!! I often fly from Sydney to London and return - a much longer haul than SFO - SIN - and always come off the aircraft - with a big smile on my face, the seats are so comfortable, the food and service is amazing. I do time my fights to minimise jet lag and overnights but that is my personal preferences
royng likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

wait - i'm also a MVP Gold 75k with Alaska. I didn't know you could count singapore to Alaska....!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.