Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO-SIN in Business - should i fly UA or Singapore..?

SFO-SIN in Business - should i fly UA or Singapore..?

Old Aug 28, 18, 11:30 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, VX Gold, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I don't like the UA 789s. No privacy, very little usable storage space.

But if you get a bulkhead, the seat length isn't bad. In non-bulkheads, the footwells are very restrictive.
I agree, and note only that it is the same issue as on the 763 (except that one is worse since the entire seat is 3" shorter) the foot-well is too small to be usable for anyone with feet over the size of a 9 year old. I don't mind the pmCO seat on the 772, where it is long enough, but fitting that seat into the narrower 788/789 and the 763 resulted in making it too small, at least for me.

And while I will take a row next to the galley on an Asian airline if the seat was better, I would never do so on UA, the crews are just too into their own discussions and too careless about noise and light.
Old Aug 29, 18, 10:29 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: VA,GA, SQ, IHG, HH, Europcar
Originally Posted by artvandalay View Post
No 310?
No I missed out on the 310
Old Aug 29, 18, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS
Originally Posted by adampenrith View Post
No I missed out on the 310
Out of topic:

I have done the SQ Airbus 310 more than 25 years ago in F. It was the first international F I have ever flown. It was during the infant stage of my career and flying F was beyond my dream at the time. I still remember the seared scallops SQ served and a leather wallet they gave to the F passengers.

I have flown a number of SQ operated A310 at the time and also flown quite a bit of A300 on other Asian Airlines. Even with the advancement of the current A350, I still have fond memory of that comfortable soft recliner seat in SQ A310. It would be nice if SQ could just make those A350 seats more comfortable to sit and sleep, we would’t have as much fun debating in this thread!
artvandalay likes this.
Old Aug 29, 18, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K&1.88MM, MR lifetime Gold, HZ PC,
I'm generally with UA_Flyer on this one, I'd go UA without hesitation. However, that is predicated on the availability of a bulkhead window seat. 1A/L or 6A/L. I rank the options roughly as below - and this is specific for a long flight on which a substantial uninterrupted sleep is my primary concern.
  1. UA in 1A, 1L, 6A. or 6L
  2. UA in an aisle bulkhead
  3. SQ in a bulkhead - this could be #2 if I'm expecting to really engage with the soft product.
  4. fly a different route or airline rather than take either in a non-bulkhead seat.
If I were a few inches shorter, I'd likely have a different perspective. I've flown both the UA 789 and SQ 359 multiple times, so my opinion is rooted in personal experience.

The usual caveat - I tend to have a minority opinion. Don't care about the aisle. Don't need much storage space. Rarely consume alcohol. I preferred the SQ SkySuite to the current/recent SQ F variations (Suites excluded from comparison). I'll take the TK or old QR seat over most "1-2-1" configurations - though I'll reserve judgement till I try the QSuite in a couple of months.

Of course, what I'd really like is AF 77W La Premiere on a UA P fare for this route.
Old Aug 29, 18, 10:10 pm

Programs: SU GOLD, BA GOLD , SQ PPS. RIP: UA 1999-2015 EY Partners 2006-2017, LH SEN 2006-2018
Originally Posted by nanyang View Post
Intriguing discussion - I had UA 1K status previously. Have had SQ PPS for 6 years.

Someone above said SQ is "the most overrated airline". Not sure how big the sample size was there, as I would argue that one needs to do a reasonable amount of flying to appreciate some of the positive aspects: consistency, check-in experience (incl. outstations), gate locations, lounge arrangements etc. SQ are the best airline I've flown with - have sampled 250+ airlines over the years.

Flew UA LAX-SIN a few months ago - some thoughts:
- Check in experience is less professional vs. SQ anywhere (have come across some unhappy agents with UA over the years, but can't recall negative experiences with SQ)
- I found the seat on UA quite comfortable, but obviously privacy is not there; definitely good enough to get some sleep though - not a concern (would prefer SQ A350 / 77W / A380 in any case)
- IFE content on UA is also good
- Meal options on UA are good - I don't like anything 'strange', and US majors are pretty good at offering decent basic meal options (then again, have never had issues with SQ - quite often skip the seafood starter but that's it)
- Cabin service on UA tends to be a bit of a weakness; no complaints re this flight, but recall a couple of the crew members were quite miserable (SQ are obviously excellent on this front)

Fully appreciate that the FFP is a key reason for many people to choose UA.

I don't mind the SQ A350 J seat - perfectly fine with me.
As a fellow PPS an ex 1K ( For 10+ years) I find this discussion baffling. At the end of the day, even after 10+ years a 1K, UA never really made me feel good about flying them. SQ always does.

This can go many ways. To the the OP, if you have the chance, try both.
Old Aug 30, 18, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Every time someone tells me how wonderful SQ is, I'll point out the KrisFlyer Gold lounge in SIN (where I happen to be sitting right now). It doesn't even have restrooms, and the whole place smells of fryer oil. I had the nerve to fly into SIN in J, but am flying out in Y, so this is the lounge I'm stuck with.
Old Aug 30, 18, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jgreen1024 View Post
Every time someone tells me how wonderful SQ is, I'll point out the KrisFlyer Gold lounge in SIN (where I happen to be sitting right now). It doesn't even have restrooms, and the whole place smells of fryer oil. I had the nerve to fly into SIN in J, but am flying out in Y, so this is the lounge I'm stuck with.
Since the OP is flying business, that lounge is a non issue.
Old Aug 30, 18, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer ; Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Gold; Marriott fake Gold via UA 1K
I was next door at the SATS lounge (connecting to JetStar so had to use Priority Pass) as you posted this.

Luckily, whichever airline the OP decides to take, he will have access to the SilverKris lounge. Lots of good info here to consider. I hope the OP reports back after he books.
Kacee likes this.
Old Aug 30, 18, 11:35 pm
tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
Originally Posted by corbetti View Post
I assume i earn status miles and EQD either way (i'm a UA Million Miler, have gold and on my way back to 1k this year). Any reason to pick one over the other?
Is price not an issue?, I am doing EWR-SIN 3 or 4 times a year at present and since making MM I always check SQ and Emirates, but generally find the price premium to large to justify taking them. I have yet to fly Emirates, but want to, but if price, times and miles were not a consideration I would pick SQ every time.
Old Aug 30, 18, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by tht View Post
Is price not an issue?, I am doing EWR-SIN 3 or 4 times a year at present and since making MM I always check SQ and Emirates, but generally find the price premium to large to justify taking them. I have yet to fly Emirates, but want to, but if price, times and miles were not a consideration I would pick SQ every time.
From SFO (and LAX) UA and SQ generally match fares. In fact, it's been SQ setting the fare and UA matching recently. There's basically a war west coast to SIN right now.
Old Aug 30, 18, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SS255 View Post

I was next door at the SATS lounge (connecting to JetStar so had to use Priority Pass) as you posted this.

Luckily, whichever airline the OP decides to take, he will have access to the SilverKris lounge. Lots of good info here to consider. I hope the OP reports back after he books.
If OP decides to go with UA, the terminal 2 SilverKris Lounge is nothing to write home about.
Even the T3 SilverKris Lounge is showing it’s age. There has not been any refurbishment or improvement since it opened more than 10 years ago. Regardless which airlines OP decides to fly, SFO Polaris Lounge is the one to use.
Old Aug 31, 18, 12:08 am

Programs: UA 1K&1.88MM, MR lifetime Gold, HZ PC,
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer View Post

If OP decides to go with UA, the terminal 2 SilverKris Lounge is nothing to write home about.
Even the T3 SilverKris Lounge is showing it’s age. There has not been any refurbishment or improvement since it opened more than 10 years ago. Regardless which airlines OP decides to fly, SFO Polaris Lounge is the one to use.
True. However, a breakfast of char siu bao and upma at the T3 SilverKris continues to be one of my greatest travel guilty pleasures. Enjoyed this last month, and looking forward to next time.
UA_Flyer likes this.
Old Aug 31, 18, 12:35 am
tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
From SFO (and LAX) UA and SQ generally match fares. In fact, it's been SQ setting the fare and UA matching recently. There's basically a war west coast to SIN right now.
Not seeing that from EWR, last trip I booked SQ was probably close to to $2/3k more than the UA flight I booked.
Old Aug 31, 18, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cricketer View Post
True. However, a breakfast of char siu bao and upma at the T3 SilverKris continues to be one of my greatest travel guilty pleasures. Enjoyed this last month, and looking forward to next time.
Totally agree on the Char Siu Bao. I would like to add the turnip cakes (locals call it “carrot cakes”) as one of my favorite breakfast dishes at SilverKris Lounge. I also like the freshly made sandwiches that I can take it to go to munch as snacks on the UA flights (unfortunately UA’s has cut back on its in-flight snack offerings).
Old Aug 31, 18, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
what does this have to do with SQ J class?

Search this Thread