Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Splitting up Families (Basic Economy ticket)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Splitting up Families (Basic Economy ticket)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by sincx
If that person thinks that she can routinely get people to give up an aisle seat for a middle instead of activating noise cancelling on their headphones, I have a bridge to sell her.
I think usually they may be spread both having window or aisle. So they "upgrade" someone with a middle to an aisle/window. But yes, if they both have a middle, its tougher

Not that I'm equating kids to dogs, but I remember one time I was in the bulkhead row. The FA asked if anyone was willing to swap to sit further back in an aisle seat because their large dog would not fit. The girl in the middle next to me volunteered and I ended up next to a dog blocking the floor for the entire flight while the FA complained about my bag sticking out too far.

Either way its the wrong attitude to take but 9 times out of 10, they'll find someone to move.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA AA
Parent entitled one....

Originally Posted by azepine00
No it has nothing to do with entitlement.
Its the same courtesy that we extent to the elderly by offering them a seat on a bus or perhaps to pregnant women who we let to go ahead of us in some line etc etc..

calling the need for a small child to sit with a parent "entitlement" is just messed up...

It should not be hard for ua to keep young children together with parents as they normally do on countless flights on any fare to avoid reseating issues (which are indeed unfair to others)...
The parent was the entitled one - they expected someone else to be inconvenienced because they refused to pay for a product that allowed seat selection.

UA should put a policy in place that any ticket for "children" and the associated parent cannot be basic economy. Additionally, if the parent tries to get around by booking separately, make it so they have to pay the unaccompanied minor fee.

This coming from a parent of 4 who traveled with them enough. It was my choice to have children, it is my responsibility to take care of them - in this case, having a seat next to them.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:21 pm

The test of the morality of a society is what it does for its children.
~Dietrich Bonhoeffer

A whole thread of whiny DYKWIA types, with all your small-minded, nasty "those parents better not take what's mine" "those scum are cheating/playing the system", "my seat is mine" "I'm entitled and I'm not moving" "Your kids are not my problem" "Pay a few extra bucks or suffer, baby" comments. You know what? You failed that test. Big time. I hope you're all thoroughly ashamed of yourselves.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by MarkOK
The busy mom angle to me is simply the recognition that this is a person who lacked perfect knowledge. In many parts of society, there are situations in which there is a large disparity in outcomes between people who have disparities in knowledge. Oddly enough, the finer details of air travel is one of those areas (in no small part due to a lot of fine print and complicated rules that airlines purposefully develop to squeeze extra profit margins levied on those with imperfect knowledge through fees). I do extensive work in the university setting to correct knowledge-disparities that have produced large disparities in who continues to graduate education (in STEM, where is matters), and frankly, I get sick and tired of people with more perfect knowledge blaming others with imperfect knowledge for their outcomes. It isn't helpful and smacks of privilege. FT should work more at correcting knowledge, not blaming people for a lack of knowlege. And what is that knowledge? That knowledge is that United indeed has this terrible policy on minor children that is in violation of the spirit of a 2016 law passed by Congress but not made into rules. A policy that is less customer friendly than their competitors.
It states in clear plain English, when purchasing, that this type of ticket means you don't get to choose seats. Forget a busy mom understanding it, a busy mom's kid can understand it. I don't know how much more knowledge than YOU CANNOT CHOOSE YOUR SEATS!!!!! in big bold letters one needs, in order to understand that you cannot choose your seats.
IndyHoosier and RJPA like this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by SpinOn2
Typical, an adult doesn't take the time to do a tiny bit of research, picks a product that doesn't work well for their situation, and it's the airlines fault that things became tough. Then OP, tries to pull up a supposed law to throw in the agents face, is wrong about the law, and definitely doesn't help the situation.

I know this comes off as crude, but I am tired of hearing people spending hundreds of their own money not even taking 5 minutes to research what they are buying, and then blaming everyone else.
Forget a few hundred. People spend a few hundred THOUSAND buying a house without spending 5 minutes to understand what they're doing. And when they can't afford the house, it's not their fault of course, It's the lender's fault for forcing the poor victims into borrowing money to buy a house they knew they couldn't afford. And all the bleeding hearts say awww, poor people, they were too busy to understand their actions. Let's bail them out, cuz....feelings!!
cruisr and The_Bouncer like this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by KoKoBuddy
"YOU CANNOT CHOOSE YOUR SEATS!!!!!
is very different to "WE WILL MAKE YOUR KIDS SIT WITH STRANGERS!!!"

I assume the former means "We will assign you seats. You don't get to choose where those seats are, but if you are travelling with children, we will assign you seats with your children." Surely that is a reasonable compromise?
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA PLT PRO, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt. Premier
Originally Posted by secondsoprano
~Dietrich Bonhoeffer

A whole thread of whiny DYKWIA types, with all your small-minded, nasty "those parents better not take what's mine" "those scum are cheating/playing the system", "my seat is mine" "I'm entitled and I'm not moving" "Your kids are not my problem" "Pay a few extra bucks or suffer, baby" comments. You know what? You failed that test. Big time. I hope you're all thoroughly ashamed of yourselves.
LOL OK whatever floats your boat. How about the parent who now sits beside her kid and says "See we got what we wanted and paid less just because I cried and threw a fit. that is how you take advantage of other people and succeed in life"

She does not actually have to say those words with her actions that is what she taught her children.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:50 pm

I assume the former means "We will assign you seats. You don't get to choose where those seats are, but if you are travelling with children, we will assign you seats with your children." Surely that is a reasonable compromise?
There's no compromise here. It's a binary choice of

1. Pay the extra $20 and choose seats, thereby guaranteeing you sit with the kid
2. Save $20 and take a chance that you will not sit together - as is stated clearly when doing so.

What you want is

3. Save $20 and get the benefits everyone else gets by paying the extra $20.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
~Dietrich Bonhoeffer
And by that standard, the parents of many children fail as to their morality, because they're willing to gamble on whether or not their children will be seated next to them, just to save a few bucks.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:41 pm

1. Pay the extra $20 and choose seats, thereby guaranteeing you sit with the kid
2. Save $20 and take a chance that you will not sit together - as is stated clearly when doing so.

What you want is

No, you have completely missed my point. 3. is not "save $20 get the benefits everyone else gets". 3. is "Save $20 and sit with your children WHERE WE PUT YOU, or pay $20 to sit with your children WHERE YOU CHOOSE TO SIT". These are different things. Why are you finding this so difficult to understand?
Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
No, you have completely missed my point. 3. is not "save $20 get the benefits everyone else gets". 3. is "Save $20 and sit with your children WHERE WE PUT YOU, or pay $20 to sit with your children WHERE YOU CHOOSE TO SIT". These are different things. Why are you finding this so difficult to understand?
Why would people pay $20 per seat to sit together in Row 11 when they could pay $0 and be confident the airline will seat them together in Row 11 (or Row 17 or some other row)? Makes no sense.
IndyHoosier likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 4, 2018 at 8:06 pm Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster(s); non-contributing noise
Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:56 pm

Windows / Aisles are extra

The thing is, window and aisle seats are extra, so at least one person would be getting a "free" upgrade.

Parents should be responsible for their own kids and purchase the product they require. In this case, an assigned seat.
MSPeconomist and Zeeb like this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:03 pm

parent was the DYKWIA type

~Dietrich Bonhoeffer

The parent was in the wrong. SOMEONE else paid for an aisle seat, maybe they had a stiff knee or something, but instead they know have to sit in the middle. Say that person was larger, now the people on both the aisle and window are worse off because the parent could not TAKE CARE OF THEIR OWN CHILD.
IndyHoosier and The_Bouncer like this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:06 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by greg99
And by that standard, the parents of many children fail as to their morality, because they're willing to gamble on whether or not their children will be seated next to them, just to save a few bucks.
That's not the gamble. The gamble is that they can make a stranger move, so they can save a few bucks. And they're right.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:06 pm

Programs: united

What you want is

There's no compromise here. It's either
1. Pay the extra $40 and get priority boarding

or

2. Save the $40 and board with your normal group.

What parents want is

3. Save the $40 and get the benefits everyone else gets by paying the extra $40.

And yet, airlines let them "game the system" like that. And folks in this thread get their boarding priorities lowered by these people.

Because- wait for it- relaxing rules to benefit parents is fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.