Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Splitting up Families (Basic Economy ticket)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Splitting up Families (Basic Economy ticket)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Originally Posted by Aknoff
I received a premier upgrade, so my wife and 2-year old were all of a sudden sitting together.
Well, I think there certainly does seem to be a way to avoid having the random passenger not have to move to a middle seat. In those rare instances where I do split the reservation and get upgraded without the rest of the family, someone is going to get my upgraded seat rather than me, especially if people are having to move around to accommodate my family's mess.

We travel with our kids, and traveling with kids can be a bear, so I'm generally happy to help others, and I am willing to move (sometimes to a less desirable seat) to help a family sit together.

You (and others) seem to be blaming United for something that was not United's fault. There are four thousand things that we can blame on United, but this isn't one of them.

The expectation seems to be that United should have programmed in some mechanism (that I do not think any other US airline has) that denies its cheapest fares to families. I'm all for that, but I don't think United is alone in not having it.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by omaralt

for all those who are saying it’s the OPs fault I really want to hear your opinion on the above scenario. Parents are fine with 2 year old being seated separately. Who takes care of the two year old? Who’s responsible for her seat belt compliance?
That is a very easy one. The family is asked to deplane because they cannot comply with the safety requirements of the airplane.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I've been the decent one and moved to help a mom and kids, but really, is it my job to get screwed for lack of planning on someone else's part? Your family member is at fault, assuming family trumps all, and I say that as I travel with my wife and kids. We plan for everything, not just airplanes, but hotels as well, heck even the car rental. Should I give up my large SUV rental that I reserved for the poor woman that booked a sub compact rental?
Following up on this, you will see many threads on FT where members ask very detailed questions about travel with families, and receive lots of great advice. There are all kinds of resources out there for those who are responsible enough to plan ahead.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
That is a very easy one. The family is asked to deplane because they cannot comply with the safety requirements of the airplane.
and if you're two hours into a 5 hour flight?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:55 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Following up on this, you will see many threads on FT where members ask very detailed questions about travel with families, and receive lots of great advice. There are all kinds of resources out there for those who are responsible enough to plan ahead.
Yup, a whole forum devoted to that right here on FT.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Two hours into a five-hour flight, a two-year-old materializes in a middle seat, far away from his or her parents?
BadgerBoi and canadiancow like this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
Two hours into a five-hour flight, a two-year-old materializes in a middle seat, far away from his or her parents?
the two year old was fine initially. two hours in he/she becomes upset. now she wants mommy. oh and that apple juice she got, she cant open it. oh and now there is turbulence and she needs to be buckled up; you want to assume that responsibility? or should the FA?

keep parents and kids together, it's better for EVERYONE

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 28, 2018 at 11:49 am Reason: snarky comment removed
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Originally Posted by arttravel
Expedia makes it clear that there is no seat selection on Basic Economy fares.
That is a relatively recent development.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:05 am

All passengers are required to be able to follow crew members' instructions, and during boarding it will be apparent that an unaccompanied 2 year old cannot do that.

Some people want to fly from A to B as cheaply as they possibly can. United responded to that demand by offering hugely restricted (yet not wildly different that Southwest/Spirit/etc) fares.

United even puts up big pictures and graphics when you are trying to buy these very restricted fares.

However, none of that protects United from the stupidity/laziness/ineptness of us, the flying public, so now we are mad that they did not proactively program in restrictions that do not allow people to purchase a particular ticket if someone in their party is below some age at which we'll all disagree.

I know it shouldn't have gotten this far on this flight, and undoubtedly the kindness of strangers would have (and did) rule the day, but if United had this restriction, we already would have seen the "United is discriminating against families" post here.
jsloan and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:05 am

oh and hey the parents knew what they were doing. they simply wanted a free babysitter for the duration of the flight!
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the two year old was fine initially. two hours in he/she becomes upset.
The two-year-old never should have been boarded there in the first place, for the reasons already stated. I have to imagine even the most coldhearted, "free babysitter" parent would want to assist their toddler in an emergency.

Honestly, UA should block off seats at the back of the airplane for assignment at the gate, which would limit this sort of problem.
wrp96 and IndyHoosier like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 28, 2018 at 11:50 am Reason: quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:10 am

The two-year-old never should have been boarded there in the first place, for the reasons already stated. I have to imagine even the most coldhearted, "free babysitter" parent would want to assist their toddler in an emergency.

Honestly, UA should block off seats at the back of the airplane for assignment at the gate, which would limit this sort of problem.
what reason? UA is saying it's ok for parents and children to be apart, so there should be no problem boarding a 2 year separately from her parents. and she was fine initially, no reason not to board her
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

what reason? UA is saying it's ok for parents and children to be apart, so there should be no problem boarding a 2 year separately from her parents. and she was fine initially, no reason not to board her
Strawman arguments are fun.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
All passengers are required to be able to follow crew members' instructions, and during boarding it will be apparent that an unaccompanied 2 year old cannot do that.

Some people want to fly from A to B as cheaply as they possibly can. United responded to that demand by offering hugely restricted (yet not wildly different that Southwest/Spirit/etc) fares.

United even puts up big pictures and graphics when you are trying to buy these very restricted fares.

However, none of that protects United from the stupidity/laziness/ineptness of us, the flying public, so now we are mad that they did not proactively program in restrictions that do not allow people to purchase a particular ticket if someone in their party is below some age at which we'll all disagree.

I know it shouldn't have gotten this far on this flight, and undoubtedly the kindness of strangers would have (and did) rule the day, but if United had this restriction, we already would have seen the "United is discriminating against families" post here.
you think it becomes apparent during boarding that a two year old cant follow crew member instructions? i could have told you that way before boarding. so pretty much UA is saying they are ok with 2 year olds and parents being separated and you are agreeing with me that they shouldn't. So now it shouldn't even be an option. either force the parents (you cant count on peoples sensibilities to do the right thing) into regular economy or allow free seating assignments for families.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:27 am

Nobody said that was OK except you.

There are differences on the appropriate remedy and where the responsibility lies.
UA said/says it was OK because they seated them that way.

are you saying you agree with me that it's not ok? in that case we are in agreement; UA shouldn't sell BE tickets to families with children under a certain age (say 10?) or allow free seat selection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.