FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   United Splitting up Families (Basic Economy ticket) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1927588-united-splitting-up-families-basic-economy-ticket.html)

joe_miami Sep 3, 2018 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 30163337)
Should the limit be "minors"?

I remember flying (presumably WN, but I can't recall) with my parents and a friend when I was around 16. None of us sat together. Two of us were minors. There was no issue there. No one cared.

Obviously a 2 year old needs to sit with someone, but it's not clear whether a 16 year old, 12 year old, or 8 year old does.

Certainly no older than 8. The idea that 8-year-olds are in danger while sitting between two strangers on a packed plane is just loony tunes. They're in vastly more danger at school.

Baze Sep 3, 2018 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by newtothis1 (Post 30163232)
Airlines with BE fares should have pop up questions during online purchase “ Are you traveling with minors” . If pax chooses yes, then message should display you are not eligible for this fare” and the next category option provided. This should prevent some of the entitlement and clueless issues.

And the cheapskate will just lie to get the BE fare then raise a stink when they can't sit together and someone, either airline or another passenger, will make it so they can sit together. Some people just have no scruples and expect others to bend to their will.

The_Bouncer Sep 3, 2018 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami (Post 30163352)
Certainly no older than 8. The idea that 8-year-olds are in danger while sitting between two strangers on a packed plane is just loony tunes. They're in vastly more danger at school.

I would set the limit at whatever age they are allowed to fly as unaccompanied minors.

StuckinITH Sep 3, 2018 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Lostintravel (Post 30163141)

Air france, I think you nailed about masks. I remember someone mentioned that last year. Uh and may be that's why on an another flight when I bought a seat I didn't get it.

In in my situation while I kept the BE tickets I bought the seats for 4 of us. Though my wife argued it's unlikely that they would seat our minors away from parents. Well good to know that's actually a case.

Not surprised it's Air France since I googled those words: "seat selection not available traveling with an infant" and in a few seconds it was all about Air France. I would also have expected BA. But here's the thing. You are flying Air France which does not have domestic flights inside the US so why are you making comments on this United thread? This thread is about passengers with kids purchasing Basic Economy and gaming the system by forcing a nice gentleman to give up his aisle seat.

seenitall Sep 3, 2018 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by USA_flyer (Post 30160992)
That's a whole bunch of assumptions, you have no idea how UA allocates seats that are not already allocated. If there were no seats available to keep the family together at the time of booking UA should not have sold the tickets.

Please enlighten me as to which of my particular assumptions is unwarranted?
  1. Middle seats towards the back are the least desirable and last to be selected?
  2. BE seats are the last to be assigned, so therefore are likely to be middles?
  3. If a family (i.e., two or more people) wish to sit together, then at least one seat must be an aisle or a window?
  4. Given that the OP's flight was full, there likely was no way that once BEs began to be assigned, that two or three together was possible?
In any event, how do you think UA assigns seats? If you travel BE, you explicitly give up the right to select seats of your choice -- and give that right to UA -- which is pretty explicit that your seating desires will be addressed only after all other PAX have been cared for. The OP's sister could have chosen a higher fare class, or chosen to pay an extra seating fee, but AFAWK, she declined.

And there may well have been seats available for the family to be seated together when the tickets were bought -- if the OP's sister had chosen to pay the fees for those seats. The options to sit together were likely there (either through buying a higher fare or paying seat fees). The fact that they were declined was a clear indication that the purchaser either didn't think they were worth the price -- or thought they could obtain the benefits without paying the price. I have no doubt that if UA began to force people on the same PNR to sit together, there would be a thread on FT complaining about the practice.

Lostintravel Sep 4, 2018 1:27 am

Originally Posted by StuckinITH (Post 30163408)
Not surprised it's Air France since I googled those words: "seat selection not available traveling with an infant" and in a few seconds it was all about Air France. I would also have expected BA. But here's the thing. You are flying Air France which does not have domestic flights inside the US so why are you making comments on this United thread? This thread is about passengers with kids purchasing Basic Economy and gaming the system by forcing a nice gentleman to give up his aisle seat.

They bought tickets through Expedia not through United, a normal person would assume that a family would be seated together because that's always used to be a case. I bought tickets for United and Air France via Expedia, so it's relevant. Let me show what Expedia said for United, not a word about not be able to seat together.

United Basic Economy Fare Rules
Restrictions include:
  • No complimentary seat selection — pay to choose seats, or seats will be assigned prior to boarding.
  • You may travel with a personal item that fits under the seat in front of you, but can't bring a full-sized carry-on bag on board unless you're a MileagePlus® Premier® member, primary card member of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card or Star Alliance™ Gold member. Check bags before airport security for the applicable fee (starting at $25). Full-sized carry-on bags brought to the gate incur an additional $25 gate handling charge (total starting at $50).
  • The ticket is nonrefundable and can't be changed.
  • You'll earn award miles, but you will not earn Premier qualifying credit or toward lifetime miles, and you will not be eligible for Economy Plus® seating or any upgrades.

joe_miami Sep 4, 2018 1:31 am

Originally Posted by Lostintravel (Post 30164476)
They bought tickets through Expedia not through United, a normal person would assume that a family would be seated together because that's always used to be a case. I bought tickets for United and Air France via Expedia, so it's relevant. Let me show what Expedia said for United, not a word about not be able to seat together.

United Basic Economy Fare Rules
Restrictions include:
  • No complimentary seat selection — pay to choose seats, or seats will be assigned prior to boarding.
  • You may travel with a personal item ...

???

USA_flyer Sep 4, 2018 2:56 am

Originally Posted by seenitall (Post 30164025)
Please enlighten me as to which of my particular assumptions is unwarranted?
  1. Middle seats towards the back are the least desirable and last to be selected?
  2. BE seats are the last to be assigned, so therefore are likely to be middles?
  3. If a family (i.e., two or more people) wish to sit together, then at least one seat must be an aisle or a window?
  4. Given that the OP's flight was full, there likely was no way that once BEs began to be assigned, that two or three together was possible?
In any event, how do you think UA assigns seats? If you travel BE, you explicitly give up the right to select seats of your choice -- and give that right to UA -- which is pretty explicit that your seating desires will be addressed only after all other PAX have been cared for. The OP's sister could have chosen a higher fare class, or chosen to pay an extra seating fee, but AFAWK, she declined.

And there may well have been seats available for the family to be seated together when the tickets were bought -- if the OP's sister had chosen to pay the fees for those seats. The options to sit together were likely there (either through buying a higher fare or paying seat fees). The fact that they were declined was a clear indication that the purchaser either didn't think they were worth the price -- or thought they could obtain the benefits without paying the price. I have no doubt that if UA began to force people on the same PNR to sit together, there would be a thread on FT complaining about the practice.

I have no idea how UA assigns seats. And judging from your post neither do you.

eng3 Sep 4, 2018 7:54 am

Originally Posted by Lostintravel (Post 30162877)

But nowhere it said the opposite. There is an assumption if you buy 4 seats for a family with minors that you will be seated together. I just went through the same, the only thing that Expedia said was that seat selection isn't available. Nothing about not be able to seat together.

Actually it does say very clearly that you are not guaranteed seats together.
If for non-basic economy there is no guarantee you will be seated together.

The problem is assumptions. Some people assume they will get a free meal on their flight, that doesn't mean they should get one.

A friend (mother with 6yr old) recently told me it doesn't matter if the GA does not or cannot seat them together because no one will want to sit next to a crying kid, therefore they will always be accommodated once onboard.

SpinOn2 Sep 4, 2018 9:36 am

Typical, an adult doesn't take the time to do a tiny bit of research, picks a product that doesn't work well for their situation, and it's the airlines fault that things became tough. Then OP, tries to pull up a supposed law to throw in the agents face, is wrong about the law, and definitely doesn't help the situation.

I know this comes off as crude, but I am tired of hearing people spending hundreds of their own money not even taking 5 minutes to research what they are buying, and then blaming everyone else.

sincx Sep 4, 2018 10:20 am

Originally Posted by eng3 (Post 30165411)
Actually it does say very clearly that you are not guaranteed seats together.
A friend (mother with 6yr old) recently told me it doesn't matter if the GA does not or cannot seat them together because no one will want to sit next to a crying kid, therefore they will always be accommodated once onboard.

If that person thinks that she can routinely get people to give up an aisle seat for a middle instead of activating noise cancelling on their headphones, I have a bridge to sell her.

sincx Sep 4, 2018 10:22 am

Originally Posted by joe_miami (Post 30162800)
And every time someone acquiesces to a seat-change request in these scenarios, it incentivizes the latter group to keep doing what they do.

Well said.

COSPILOT Sep 4, 2018 10:37 am

I often book flights 2-3 weeks out, and struggle to find decent seats for myself, let alone my family of 4. But that is my problem, not others. I put a few minutes of research into it and pick flights that will work. I'm sorry that OP's family member, or my cousin for that matter feel they are above everyone. Flights are going out full most of the time in this economy, and lacking status only makes things worse. Lack of preparation shouldn't hurt others, although I'm still a happy guy to help when asked nicely. My guess is this happens more often than reported, but rarely seen on FT. While I love to help families, a thread like this makes me question why I'm so generous.

seenitall Sep 4, 2018 11:58 am

Originally Posted by USA_flyer (Post 30164651)
I have no idea how UA assigns seats. And judging from your post neither do you.

Again, how can you be sure that I am wrong when you claim not to know anything about what is right?

jsloan Sep 4, 2018 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by seenitall (Post 30166518)
Again, how can you be sure that I am wrong when you claim not to know anything about what is right?

Your first assumption is faulty. Middle seats toward the back are not the least likely to be selected. On most flights, the least likely to be selected are E+ middles, but on some flights you'll see entire E+ rows available whilst the back of the plane is completely booked.

The reason for this is that UA will automatically assign regular economy passengers seats during the booking process if E- seats are available. You used to be able to skip this, but it's gotten more and more difficult.

It's not the least bit uncommon for regular economy passengers to be scattered in the back while BE passengers get E+.