FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   United Splitting up Families (Basic Economy ticket) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1927588-united-splitting-up-families-basic-economy-ticket.html)

joe_miami Sep 3, 2018 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Lostintravel (Post 30162877)

But nowhere it said the opposite. There is an assumption if you buy 4 seats for a family with minors that you will be seated together. I just went through the same, the only thing that Expedia said was that seat selection isn't available. Nothing about not be able to seat together.

It explicitly told you that you couldn't choose your seats, and you took that to mean everyone would still be seated together?

Lostintravel Sep 3, 2018 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami (Post 30162888)
It explicitly told you that you couldn't choose your seats, and you took that to mean everyone would still be seated together?

Why would I assume the opposite and since when you can pick seats during the booking for E tickets on domestic flights?

joe_miami Sep 3, 2018 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Lostintravel (Post 30162915)

Why would I assume the opposite and since when you can pick seats during the booking for E tickets on domestic flights?

How often do you travel? Picking seats in E has been a feature for years and years.

StuckinITH Sep 3, 2018 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Lostintravel (Post 30162915)

I thought that on the United website you can pick your seats in Economy on domestic or International flights during booking. It's just the seats in Economy + that you can only choose if you have a certain status or pay additional money for them. But with Basic Economy, you cannot choose your seats (unless you pay additional money).

Cruss74 Sep 3, 2018 3:01 pm

This thread has been very...enlightening. Whenever I've priced out options to fly somewhere with my wife and 6 year old, I've been under the assumption that if we want to sit together, I need to include the price to "upgrade" out of basic economy when comparison shopping. Now I'm beginning to see that paying that extra fare may not be necessary.

Lostintravel Sep 3, 2018 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami (Post 30162923)
How often do you travel? Picking seats in E has been a feature for years and years.

Is that a fact? Did you ever fly with an infant?

I am flying on Thursday, I can't pick my seat. While this isn't a united flight, there is an assumption that my family of four will be together.

>Seat selection not available when traveling with an infant

joe_miami Sep 3, 2018 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Lostintravel (Post 30163006)

I am flying on Thursday, I can't pick my seat. While this isn't a united flight, there is an assumption that my family of four will be together.

You made no prior mention of an infant.

Regardless, there should be no assumption that a family of four will be seated together if seats can't be chosen at the time of booking.

StuckinITH Sep 3, 2018 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by Lostintravel (Post 30163006)

I think on some planes there are some rows that don't have enough of the oxygen masks in case of loss of pressure to cover a lap infant.

What airline are you flying?

WineCountryUA Sep 3, 2018 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by eng3 (Post 30162812)
Perhaps the UA website could detect if a PNR has more than one person and then put up a large popup stating that you aren't guaranteed seats together with an "I Agree" button before booking. Similar to the button you click when you checkin with bags.

That is only a portion of the solution -- many use Expedia /Orbitz/ .... their handling of this situation is less clear to the purchaser (and unknown if even what is presently available was in place when the SIL purchased). Until the OTAs provide appropriate notice, this problem will re-occur.

cbn42 Sep 3, 2018 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami (Post 30163013)
Regardless, there should be no assumption that a family of four will be seated together if seats can't be chosen at the time of booking.

There is a big difference between "you can't choose your seats right now" and "you may not be able to sit together".

On Southwest, no one can select seats in advance, but the airline definitely makes sure that families sit together.

At movie theaters, stadiums and concert halls without assigned seating, you can't choose your seats in advance, but you can definitely sit with your family.

It's not unreasonable to assume that "no seat selection" means that you can't choose your specific seats, but you will still be able to sit with your kids.

joe_miami Sep 3, 2018 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by cbn42 (Post 30163114)
There is a big difference between "you can't choose your seats right now" and "you may not be able to sit together".

No, there really isn't, particularly for people who fly more than once every few years.

At movie theaters, stadiums and concert halls without assigned seating, you can't choose your seats in advance, but you can definitely sit with your family.
"You can definitely sit with your family"? No. It's first come, first served, and the ushers don't move people to accommodate later-arriving families.

Lostintravel Sep 3, 2018 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by StuckinITH (Post 30163032)
I think on some planes there are some rows that don't have enough of the oxygen masks in case of loss of pressure to cover a lap infant.

What airline are you flying?

Air france, I think you nailed about masks. I remember someone mentioned that last year. Uh and may be that's why on an another flight when I bought a seat I didn't get it.

In in my situation while I kept the BE tickets I bought the seats for 4 of us. Though my wife argued it's unlikely that they would seat our minors away from parents. Well good to know that's actually a case.

The_Bouncer Sep 3, 2018 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Cruss74 (Post 30162980)
This thread has been very...enlightening. Whenever I've priced out options to fly somewhere with my wife and 6 year old, I've been under the assumption that if we want to sit together, I need to include the price to "upgrade" out of basic economy when comparison shopping. Now I'm beginning to see that paying that extra fare may not be necessary.

In other words, you will buy a product that is clearly totally unsuitable for your needs, then kick up a huge stink and force the airline to give you the features that you have refused to pay for.

This is why airlines need to stop giving in to blackmail from people who are determined to get something for nothing. The more people are allowed to get away with gaming the system, the more people will do it.

The only solution is just to stop groups which include minor children from buying Basic Economy. People clearly can't be trusted to act responsibly.

newtothis1 Sep 3, 2018 4:17 pm

Airlines with BE fares should have pop up questions during online purchase “ Are you traveling with minors” . If pax chooses yes, then message should display you are not eligible for this fare” and the next category option provided. This should prevent some of the entitlement and clueless issues.

canadiancow Sep 3, 2018 5:01 pm

Should the limit be "minors"?

I remember flying (presumably WN, but I can't recall) with my parents and a friend when I was around 16. None of us sat together. Two of us were minors. There was no issue there. No one cared.

Obviously a 2 year old needs to sit with someone, but it's not clear whether a 16 year old, 12 year old, or 8 year old does.