Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Splitting up Families (Basic Economy ticket)

United Splitting up Families (Basic Economy ticket)

Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
FT and other social media are simply an echo chamber when it comes to BE. One would think that BE is a total failure and no passenger uses it.
To be clear, if no passenger used it, it would be the biggest success imaginable (provided that they were booking regular economy, and not booking away to another airline). But I agree with your general point, which is that DL, UA, and AA are laughing their way to the bank on the BE concept.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
When purchasing BE seats, one should immediately be taken to the seat selection - there is a back row on every flight. If that one is full, then the second to last row, etc. Force seat selection in the back of the plane, then you don't need to worry about blocking rows and scrambling during the boarding process. Oh, and you can't leave a middle seat open.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
Probably. And the problem could have otherwise been solved with the OP trading his BP for Other Passenger's and taken Child 2's seat himself.
Except I didn't have a seat near my family or the others. I was on a separate reservation from my wife and son because I flew to MSN on a different day. But, I had selected the seat next to them for MSN-DEN. Then, I was automatically upgraded. When I went to decline, I spelled this solution out for the GA: 1. Decline the upgrade. 2. Give me back my original selected seat. 3. Swap my original seat (which I'm back in) with my niece. Everyone wins. She told me flatly no and refused to use common sense to solve an easily fixable problem.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
Nah, UA won't do that anymore after Dr. Dao. They'll offload the entire plane and leave you sitting there alone, while they fly everyone else on a different aircraft.
At considerable cost to UA, so at least the displaced passenger or (former) customer is able to somewhat get back at UA for its actions.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Aknoff
Except I didn't have a seat near my family or the others. I was on a separate reservation from my wife and son because I flew to MSN on a different day. But, I had selected the seat next to them for MSN-DEN. Then, I was automatically upgraded. When I went to decline, I spelled this solution out for the GA: 1. Decline the upgrade. 2. Give me back my original selected seat. 3. Swap my original seat (which I'm back in) with my niece. Everyone wins. She told me flatly no and refused to use common sense to solve an easily fixable problem.
I might be confused here, but surely you could have offered to swap your upgraded FC seat for the new middle seat in the back that your family forced him to accept in exchange for his assigned aisle seat. Most passengers would agree to that exchange happily.
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I might be confused here, but surely you could have offered to swap your upgraded FC seat for the new middle seat in the back that your family forced him to accept in exchange for his assigned aisle seat. Most passengers would agree to that exchange happily.
Yes, I don't understand why that didn't happen on the plane.
iluv2fly and canadiancow like this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by LTBoston
Yes, I don't understand why that didn't happen on the plane.
He was with his wife and kid further up front.

David
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Now , we are at 12 pages. It would have made the whole story clearer if the OP had mentioned where his wife, his kid and himself were seated. And we still don't know if his kid was of an age that he/she could have been seated in the middle seat on the row behind the aunt.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cbn42
I would also like to know this. In all my years of flying, I've only seen one incident where an employee actually forced someone to move to a different seat, so my guess is that they were either shamed into it, or decided to comply because they didn't want the flight delayed any further.
Hopefully they did so voluntarily rather than feel they were forced - if they were forced, they should be compensated.

If you "flat out refuse to move", you will probably be removed by law enforcement. The contract of carriage is very clear that seat assignments are not guaranteed, and you are required to follow crewmember instructions. IDB is when you are denied boarding, and has nothing to do with a seat assignment.
They are not going to call the police over this. Also, crewmember instructions are supported by published airline operations guides and FAA/DOT regulations - customer service issues, which this falls under, are not legally enforceable crew member instructions. No different than refusing to lower your window shade or refusing to finish your inflight meal or any such nonsensical demand. What would happen is they would call either a GA or the Capt, and while they are doing that, I would be texting my UA sales rep with details of what is going on, who would call the terminal manager or station manager depending on the location and instruct them to leave me and my seat alone and that would be the end of it unless someone wants to get called in for an uncomfortable conversation they probably would prefer to avoid. Absent a UA sales rep, one can simply stand their ground and there isn't much that can be done. This is a customer service issue and has nothing to do with operations, safety, or security. Yes, they could deplane everyone over this, but highly unlikely especially if the person being ordered into a middle seat has any sort of status against the unprepared family on a BE fare. To do anything else would be highly ludicrous on UA's part.

So am I, but society as a whole values children and is willing to give preferential treatment to parents with children in certain cases. That's just the reality.
Society may value children, but they don't value pushy, obnoxious soccer moms who think the world revolves around them and their children.

It may be clear to Flyertalk-types, but I don't think it is very clear to an occasional flyer. Does no seat assignment mean you can still sit together? Does it simply mean you can't sit in certain areas, like premium economy? Does it mean you can select seats upon check-in? We know the answers to these questions, but not everyone does.
I disagree. The warning is very clear. No advance seat assignments. [T]hey really should understand that by selecting that fare, they will not be able to select a seat, change their ticket, or bring on a carry-on that doesn't fit under the seat. No seat assignment means no seat assignment.

Flyertalkers love demanding compensation for every little thing. If the customer paid extra for a seat assignment that he couldn't utilize, I think he should be entitled to a refund of the upcharge. Other than that, stuff happens, shrug and move on.
Being forced into a middle seat in favor of an unprepared family is most certainly grounds for compensation.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 29, 2018 at 6:35 pm Reason: inflammatory / insensitive comment removed; let's maintain some civility
Old Aug 29, 2018, 5:03 pm

It may be clear to Flyertalk-types, but I don't think it is very clear to an occasional flyer. Does no seat assignment mean you can still sit together? Does it simply mean you can't sit in certain areas, like premium economy? Does it mean you can select seats upon check-in? We know the answers to these questions, but not everyone does.
It says it right there. A red X next to Sit with your group or family.

Even outside of the air travel, no seat assignment means you could be sitting away from your group.
Buses; subway, train, ferry, open seating movie theater; there is simply no excuse!
IndyHoosier and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
Agree- The airlines try their best to dissuade people from buying BE via warnings and pop-ups. They want that extra main cabin revenue. I don’t feel one bit sorry for any family separated because they chose to buy a fare that isn’t designed for sitting together.

I feel bad for the gentleman who had to sit in a middle seat due to this family’s poor lack of planning and general entitled, yet cheap attitude.

Next time, if you want first, buy first. If you want to sit together, purchase a main cabin fare. No sympathy here...
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by trm2
When purchasing BE seats, one should immediately be taken to the seat selection - there is a back row on every flight. If that one is full, then the second to last row, etc. Force seat selection in the back of the plane, then you don't need to worry about blocking rows and scrambling during the boarding process. Oh, and you can't leave a middle seat open.
The whole point of BE, other than carriers hoping that you won't purchase it, is that when you do, the carrier fills you in where there are seats available after others have selected.

You are presuming that nobody wants the last row and that is close to correct. But, I would take the last row aisle before an E+ middle.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:06 pm

Programs: united
It's clear that Flyertalk is mostly savvy travelers who know the rules and expect everyone else to as well. However, many people have no idea what basic economy is, and the airlines and OTAs don't always do a good job of explaining it.

At the end of the day, the airline is going to have to find a way to let the kids sit with at least one parent, because it's too risky not to. I know there is currently no law requiring it, but there was no law against removing Dr. Dao either, and look how well that worked out for Untied. Publicity can be stronger than any law. What if a child gets molested by another passenger while the parents are in another row? What if "my autistic son had a panic attack because Mr. Diamond-Guest refused to let me sit with him" goes viral on social media?

Right now, congress has asked the government to look into the matter. This is basically telling the airlines "this issue is on our radar, fix it before we make you". If they don't, the government could force airlines to keep families together under threat of fines per incident.

To all of you who are saying "it's her fault and she can deal with the consequences", reality doesn't work that way. Most people don't care about the details about fare class and seat selection, but will not stand for kids being separated from their parents. If airlines don't sort this out, DOT will do it for them.

I feel for the man who had to move to a middle seat, and I would have hated to be in his position, but seat assignments are not guaranteed and can be changed by the airline at any time, per the CoC. It's no different from being made to move to another seat due to a FAM, equipment swap, service animal, or any number of other reasons.
I think this is right.

There are children involved. Rules are different in that situation.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:15 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by dilanesp
I think this is right.

There are children involved. Rules are different in that situation.
No, actually they are not. Rules are rules - Basic Economy has a fixed set of rules....there are no govt rules about sitting children with their parents in the same cabin. This is vastly different than being asked to move seats for an equipment swap, broken seat, etc.

If parents want to sit with their children, they need to buy fares that allow for this feature, that's it.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Ragnarok
It says it right there. A red X next to Sit with your group or family.

Even outside of the air travel, no seat assignment means you could be sitting away from your group.
Buses; subway, train, ferry, open seating movie theater; there is simply no excuse!
Sadly, red X's aren't enough. United really needs to telegraph this to a consumer group that is notorious for lacking good reading comprehension.

Here's one idea. Of course, UA probably doesn't do it this way because it would keep more people from booking BE!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.