Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Splitting up Families (Basic Economy ticket)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Splitting up Families (Basic Economy ticket)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
The analogy to the family situation is as follows. Suppose you break your leg and are put in a cast that does not permit you to sit in a E- seat without your leg protruding into the aisle. The flight is full. Is UA now required to move you to E+ and bump an E+ pax back to E- ? Similarly with Passengers of Size. If they can't fit in their E seat and the E cabin is full, is UA required to bump a pax off to give the PoS two seats together? Unless you say "yes" to both of these situations, you cannot argue that UA was required to seat the family together.

These are situations where your solution is to buy E+, buy F or buy two E seats.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by seenitall
The analogy to the family situation is as follows. Suppose you break your leg and are put in a cast that does not permit you to sit in a E- seat without your leg protruding into the aisle. The flight is full. Is UA now required to move you to E+ and bump an E+ pax back to E- ? Similarly with Passengers of Size. If they can't fit in their E seat and the E cabin is full, is UA required to bump a pax off to give the PoS two seats together? Unless you say "yes" to both of these situations, you cannot argue that UA was required to seat the family together.

These are situations where your solution is to buy E+, buy F or buy two E seats.
So common sense has nothing to do with it?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
The solution to this problem is very simple. Buy the fare and pay fees necessary to ensure all in your party sit together.
MSPeconomist, Often1, Zeeb and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: alaska
Originally Posted by Finkface
Um, on the first flight, the child was seated directly behind the mom and other child. That wasn’t good enough. They wanted a row to themselves.
In this case, the 4 year old behind them is fine.

If it's a big deal for you to be in the same row, then make sure in advance you will be seated together. I hear a lot of people talking about being good to the elderly/children/etc; and I see airlines generally doing this, but that doesn't mean bending over backwards in every circumstance and punishing other paying customers to do so.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: SWA CP, UA MP, Hilton G, SPG G
Somet subtle difference....We are not paying more to be seated with our children… Basic economy is a reduced fare.
whereas economy is the baselin fare we have always paid...

You’re not paying more to sit with your children… You’re paying less to sit alone
trooper and Zeeb like this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Ditka
Somet subtle difference....We are not paying more to be seated with our children… Basic economy is a reduced fare.

You’re not paying more to sit with your children… You’re paying less to sit alone
A distinction without a meaning.

YY (until mid-October) is the only "real" fare and everything below that is a "reduced fare". But, so what?

Some fares are refundable, others are not. Some come with access to better seats. Others do not. Some come with seat assignments and others, e.g. BE, do not.

Then there is F, sometimes C. Soon enough PE.

People need to make choices based on their needs. If one is 6'9" E+ seems a reasonable expense. Travelling with kids? Don't do BE.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ditka
You're buying into UA's marketing spin. When they introduced BE, in the vast majority of cases, they introduced it at the previous economy price and then added a surcharge for regular economy.

UA wants you to think of this as a discount, instead of a surcharge, but that's psychological on their part, because people dislike surcharges more than they like discounts.
BearX220 and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by jsloan
You're buying into UA's marketing spin. When they introduced BE, in the vast majority of cases, they introduced it at the previous economy price and then added a surcharge for regular economy.

UA wants you to think of this as a discount, instead of a surcharge, but that's psychological on their part, because people dislike surcharges more than they like discounts.
My speculation is that UA will have a prorated charge for seats based on status in the coming years. Silvers and Golds will be pond scum, but will get it a little cheaper, Platinum will be a little better, and 1K's and GS will still get it for free. Kirby will milk this.

Oh, UA will follow Jet Blue and raise baggage fees in the next week or two, but only after Delta does it.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 28, 2018 at 5:15 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Honestly, UA should block off seats at the back of the airplane for assignment at the gate, which would limit this sort of problem.
This. DL already does this, and I suspect everyone will have to get on board if the DOT finally passes some sort of regulation. The blocks go in the back, where no one really wants to sit anyway. You're the one family who booked BE and demands to be seated together? Fine, two of you can go inside the engine of a Mad Dog (in that terrible last row). Seems fair all around.

Originally Posted by LarryJ
They do. A number of seats are held for assignment at the airport to accomodate families, disabled passengers, and other issues. On most flights, that is enough to resolve such seating issues as was the case on the OP's second leg.
Well, they don't really, though. I just pulled up a seat map for a mainline narrowbody scheduled for April. (The weird 8F "738"). There are 6 seats listed as occupied -- 7DE, 23BC, and 25BC. Even 7F is available. So, assuming all six of those seats are held for gate assignment, the best that they can do is seat pairs of people -- and not very many, either.
For comparison, DL's blocks on a 739 are 10BC 14DE 36ABCDEF 37DEF. While there is some nuance to numbers, I think a couple of blocked rows would be an easily solution to the first two orders of magnitude of these kinds of problems.
jsloan, MSPeconomist and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by omaralt

for all those who are saying it’s the OPs fault I really want to hear your opinion on the above scenario. Parents are fine with 2 year old being seated separately. Who takes care of the two year old? Who’s responsible for her seat belt compliance?
the proper response in that scenario, once all calls for volunteers to move have been unanswered, is to offload the parent and minor and accommodate on a later flight.
Originally Posted by omaralt
lol you can't willingly sell something to somebody and then say it's irresponsible to buy
of course you can. Cigarettes, booze, fatty foods
MSPeconomist and IndyHoosier like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 28, 2018 at 6:56 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 28, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles

the proper response in that scenario, once all calls for volunteers to move have been unanswered, is to offload the parent and minor and accommodate on a later flight.
Out of curiosity would this be considered IDB?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:09 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by Often1
A distinction without a meaning.

YY (until mid-October) is the only "real" fare and everything below that is a "reduced fare". But, so what?

Some fares are refundable, others are not. Some come with access to better seats. Others do not. Some come with seat assignments and others, e.g. BE, do not.

Then there is F, sometimes C. Soon enough PE.

People need to make choices based on their needs. If one is 6'9" E+ seems a reasonable expense. Travelling with kids? Don't do BE.
Nitpicking, I know: YY designates any IATA airline that flies and participates. A single Y designates a prorate Y fare.

Last edited by fastair; Aug 28, 2018 at 7:33 pm
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AeRoSpaceman
Out of curiosity would this be considered IDB?
No; IDB protection only applies if the flight is oversold.

Originally Posted by fastair
YY designates any IATA airline that flies and participates. A single Y designates a prorate Y fare.
I think that was intentional, the idea being that even a full Y fare (e.g., YUA) represents a discount from the YY fares, which are going away in October.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum
Thankfully in 2.3 million miles on UA I’ve never been victim
to such issues.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:15 pm

Unfortunately, airlines put programs in place before realizing the unintended consequences, and passengers book these fares thinking they can
game the system. I'm hearing that BE has been a failure, and AA has already modified the rules, UA to probably follow.
The baggage charge program has created a nightmare for GA's and FA's with frequent demands at the gate that require gate checks, and onboard
delays while people try to place oversize bags in the OH, while FA's try to jam them in, sometimes with no success. Airlines thought they would
probably save money with fewer ramp people required with fewer pit bags, but now some flights need several ramp folks to get gate check bags
down the jetway stairs and into the pit. Meanwhile, flights take delays with the baggage issue.
The term 'race to the bottom' has been heard regarding the B-E experiment; that term rings true. After tales like heard in this topic, I assume the
Big 3 will quietly drop the program, or keep modifying it (i.e. families travelling with children) so it becomes meaningless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.