Is it rude to use premier benefits?

Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Kannai
I've had that happen at DAY.
PAX: "Hey, why does he get called ahead of us. We've been waiting."
GA: "He's Premier."

I did give the PAX an apologetic look. It was a long line that hadn't been moving very quickly. But I have a right to use the Premier line, so I do.
Rule #1 : You never make eye contact with those of lesser status. You've earned your benefits fair and square.
Proudelitist likes this.

Last edited by justforfun; Aug 30, 2018 at 4:58 pm
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Just handle it like George Clooney did...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd5LG8zW1dM
I really need to remember this! I run into more loud mouth complainers in Hiltons than I do in the flughaffen.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:20 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
I always feel bad doing this especially when there's an IRROP situation and everyone is waiting in line. Then again if you fly enough to qualify for the Premier line, then you'll probably encounter a couple of IRROPs every year, whereas most of the people in the regular line probably only see something like this happen once every few years.

I know this will sound a little DYKWIA, but I hate to see non-Premier or even Premier members use the 1K/Polaris line at smaller airports just because the line is shorter... We all need to get somewhere, and if the agent is free, they'll call you over. No need for people to balance out the lines. /end rant.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
The other thing is Premier members are often served quicker because they fly a lot and are more familiar with rules and policies. For instance, a 1K doesnt have to care about baggage weights until 70 lbs and can check 3 bags, and most 1Ks are aware of their perks so they know exactly what they can do. More awareness means less surprises and fewer questions and quicker service time.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA 1P
It's not rude, but I know how you feel.

Last week I had to sprint across ORD to get from Concourse F to Concourse C in time to catch a really tight connection. I arrived toward the tail end of Group 2 boarding but queued up in the Group 1 line. The GA motioned me through ahead of the Group 2-ers, scanned my boarding pass, and then announced, "Okay, that's the last carry-on we can accommodate."

I felt really bad for the guy who had been in the front of the Group 2 line until I showed up. Not bad enough to gate check, mind you, but I guess there was a little bit of retribution in the fact that the only space for my rollaboard was in the way back of the plane and I was in row 7. I was the last one off.

Last edited by LTBoston; Aug 28, 2018 at 5:12 pm
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Artpen100
And yes, if I stroll up late to the gate (which is rare - I like to board early), I will usually get in the group 1 lane, and wait till they waive me over. It's about saving time and having less stress. It is too bad flying is so complicated and stressful, but it is possible to learn how to make it easier. Nothing to apologize for in that.
This is where it gets awkward for me. Usually when I stroll up to G1 during G4, the steady stream of pax doesn't break and rarely does the gate agent let me in front.

After a few seconds I cut ahead and I'm on my way with lots of stares and comments.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:50 pm

Not rude at all! Keep in mind Premier Access is often offered as a $10-$20 fee during OLCI and I suspect a number of travellers just assumed you paid the fee. Obviously there would be nothing unfair in their mind if you paid $20 to get to the front of the line.

-James
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:51 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
In the case of the other passenger berating you, bring it to an agent or a law enforcement officer's attention. This has nothing to do with who uses what lane and everything to do with your ability to move unimpeded through an airport.
Yes, call law enforcement whenever scolded or criticized angrily by others. What could go wrong when the police intervene to settle adult verbal disagreements consisting of protected speech? Surely no one will be hurt.
iluv2fly, kale73, Kannai and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Bronze
Not rude. Happens to most of us when boarding late and you walk to the Group 1 line and cut in front of Group 3 or later. Just wait for the agent to call you over and it's no longer your problem.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:13 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
About to board 1604 in LAS this morning, standing next to the group 1 line with my wife who was already upgraded when the GA called my name. I walked over to the side of the podium, handed her my old BP, got my new one for 2E and said thank you very much. The gentleman standing in front of her was not happy because he was trying to bargain for an upgrade...and finally offered to buy and I got my BP. Oh well, sometimes being Premier has it perks. No, I did not feel bad. If I was in the OP's shoes I would have done the same thing he did. We don't make the rules, UA does that, we, hopefully, just follow them. Before I retired I ran my own business for 17 years, I had preferred customers and regular customers. The preferred, the ones who spend a lot of money and paid their bills on time always got their requests filled first.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by asquare
Be curious as to people's thoughts on the opposite problem. I have had a few instances where I had to go to customer service behind security (usually ORD), where there is a line for Premier and a regular line. I'll be the only one on the Premier line and then ignored/not seen for what feels like a long time (>5-10 customers taken from the regular line, or >20 minutes). At what point is it appropriate to just walk up the the next available agent or try to wave at the agents so I can be sure they saw me?
With robust telephone, app and web interfaces, a visit to that CS line seems like a voluntary activity these days.

I may be a bit biased but with the exceptions of check-in during ski season (and requests for home delivery of same at ORD baggage claim) and claiming VDB bounty, I haven't had reason to stand in a UA line for a couple of years now...
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:39 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by onthesam
With robust telephone, app and web interfaces, a visit to that CS line seems like a voluntary activity these days.
Its amazing how many people dont understand that though. I was on the (ultimately canceled) DEN-LHR at the end of July after we departed and returned due to a medical emergency. I and a few others went to the UC, checked the app, called reservations and got the rebooking about 25 minutes after the cancellation.

But as Im leaving the UC to go to a hotel the number of J pax Id recognized lining up (in the long long line) for the 10.45pm skeleton CS desk service was incredible. I asked one of them (who Id talked to on the plane) why he, wife and daughter were lining up. He didnt have the app and didnt know which number to call. I suggested they go to the UC before it closed (he had about 15 minutes).
onthesam, wrp96 and FlyerTalker70 like this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller

Its amazing how many people dont understand that though. I was on the (ultimately canceled) DEN-LHR at the end of July after we departed and returned due to a medical emergency. I and a few others went to the UC, checked the app, called reservations and got the rebooking about 25 minutes after the cancellation.

But as Im leaving the UC to go to a hotel the number of J pax Id recognized lining up (in the long long line) for the 10.45pm skeleton CS desk service was incredible. I asked one of them (who Id talked to on the plane) why he, wife and daughter were lining up. He didnt have the app and didnt know which number to call. I suggested they go to the UC before it closed (he had about 15 minutes).
Agree that lounge seems to often be the fastest way to get things sorted out (supposing of course you beat all the elites heading there in the event of a cancellation and the dragon isn't upset which we've heard reports on in the forum). Failing that I'll go to the priority Customer Service lane for assistance. Sometimes I'll use the phone/app to rebook but it really depends on the situation. For instance, if I'm going to be stranded overnight, I'll want to see someone at least to get the hotel and meal vouchers... I'm guessing that can't be done on the app or over the phone? Also when AC turned my 5 hour layover in EWR into a 10 hour one, I wanted to see someone to at least get a meal voucher since the MLL at EWR makes DOM UC lounges look like a Polaris lounge!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
This is where it gets awkward for me. Usually when I stroll up to G1 during G4, the steady stream of pax doesn't break and rarely does the gate agent let me in front.

After a few seconds I cut ahead and I'm on my way with lots of stares and comments.
Just walk through the G1 lane with your BP out and merge smoothly without breaking stride like it's what you're supposed to do. People will probably comment less than if you hesitate.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller

100% this! I've told this story before but I was booked on a flight from PDX-SFO, last flight of the night, we pulled back from the gate and then the flight was canceled. I immediately got on the phone and called CS. I was on hold but got in the line for the ONE gate agent trying to re-book an entire plane. I was number 3 in line, but still managed to get re-booked for the first flight the next morning before the first person was even done! I walked down the line of people and told them to call United and it would be faster but they all just looked at me like I was crazy. Shrug. I was probably back home before most of them were even helped.
wrp96 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.